Thread: Pros and Cons of Dion Jordan

All League

Pros and Cons of Dion Jordan

Not a big college football guy so the offseason regarding draft prospects is a learning process for me.. That said, a prospect who seems to inspire debate is dion Jordan. Lots are pro Dion, lots are anti Dion.

Now, I trust the opinions of those in here and I'd like them consolidated..So tell me.. What are the positives and negatives of this guy(from a potential Jets standpoint)?

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Not a big college football guy so the offseason regarding draft prospects is a learning process for me.. That said, a prospect who seems to inspire debate is dion Jordan. Lots are pro Dion, lots are anti Dion.

Now, I trust the opinions of those in here and I'd like them consolidated..So tell me.. What are the positives and negatives of this guy(from a potential Jets standpoint)?
    I'm no expert scout or anything,I've only watched the same film as likely everybody else has so take that for what it's worth

I'm a big fan of DJ and I hope we take him at 9 so maybe someone else is better suited to picking apart the cons but I'll try:

Pro's:

Freakish athlete with a skill-set that could make him a difference maker at the next level.

Production isn't up there with the likes of Jones and Moore but drops into coverage a lot so isn't rushing the passer on every play...hence numbers may hide his true potential

Likely the perfect fit for what Rex wants in his OLB.Will be able to line up with slot recievers never mind TE's.Will seal the edge as well as Thomas did and will be way better at dropping into coverage than Pace.

Fantastic mover in open-field,has really quick feet and is the definition of 'fluid'

Really good open field tackler.Zeroes in on his target and engulfs them with classic,wrap-up and drop technique.None of the 'head-hunter' crap of trying to decapitate someone only to miss completely and see the ball carrier bounce off and go for a first down or more

Doesn't shy away from contact and is always around the ball.You'll often see him in on a tackle after having had to sprint from the opposite side of he field or deep having dropped into coverage.Goes all out until after the whistle

Despite playing at possibly as little as 230 last year more than held his own against the run and up against much bigger linemen

3 year starter in a top National Programme with very good(but not great)numbers.

Not aware of any off-field issues

Was a WR up until his sophomore campaign so only been playing defence for 3 years yet still been productive.Only going to get better

Potential and upside are sky high

Proved at the combine he was everything and more as a physical specimen that shows on tape

In my view he is 100% a football player that happens to be a fabulous athlete and not just an athlete on the football field

Cons:

Shoulder surgery might limit his per-season activity and mean he misses valuable time in camp

Production.....Numbers aren't what you'd like from a guy likely to go top 10.Is he better than the numbers suggest?...or an underachiever?

Doesn't jump at the line when well blocked so doesn't disrupt as many passes as a 6-6 guy with his vertical should.

Was up to 248 at the combine but might need to still put on 10-12 lbs without losing speed and flexibility to go up against pro linemen.

Sometimes overruns the QB when blitzing but then so did Von Miller.

Can't think of any other major flaws