Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugh... Idzik likes Ertz

Jets better not draft a TE, LB/OLB or OG w/1st Rd pic. BS!!! U can fill those positions in the mid rds. U draft QB's , WR's, RB's, LT's and CB's w/1st rd pics ect ect. imo..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Jets better not draft a TE, LB/OLB or OG w/1st Rd pic. BS!!! U can fill those positions in the mid rds. U draft QB's , WR's, RB's, LT's and CB's w/1st rd pics ect ect. imo..
    What do you know, you're not a real person.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You're calling Tony's insight a "story"? I guess so. Maybe I should take my cues from you instead? What round is A. Brown going in today - the 5th?
    I can't wait to tear up all your BS after the draft.
    GMs don't expose anything before a draft, or they float disinformation.
    It's called "using the press".

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    You can fill QB's, WR's, RB's and LT's in the later rounds too. The league is full of quality later round WR's, RB's and LT's...

You take the player that is best going to help your team.

We've seen them express interest in a lot of 2nd round prospects. I say, don't over-react to stuff 3 weeks before the draft.

All Pro
    phew... well maybe not. It'd be great if someone else took Ertz, but I don't want ALL the TEs taken.

[Per DI Tony] - There’s lots of talk as to how the tight ends will fall in the first three rounds of the draft. Several league insiders told me it all depends on where Tyler Eifert of Notre Dame falls. If Eifert is selected during the initial 20 picks there’s a good chance we’ll see a run at the tight end position with as many as five coming off the board by the 40th pick (8th selection of round two).
    This how I feel

1st (13-25) - EIFERT

2nd round - wouldn't take anyone at #39, but if we traded back or acquired mid-late 2nd Then we're in ESCOBAR territory.

3rd round - REED, MCDONALD (6'4, 265)

4th/5th - KASA

6th/7th - TOILOLO (6'8)

...Really, the guy we need to be talking about is Seferian-Jenkins next year. He might be the responsible for the greatest TE mancrush for all time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I like Vance McDonald in the second round. I wouldn't mind if the Jets took two high end tight ends.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I like Vance McDonald in the second round. I wouldn't mind if the Jets took two high end tight ends.
    I like McDonald, but not in the 2nd.

If we're going TE in Round 2 then it has to be Ertz or Escobar IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like McDonald, but not in the 2nd.

If we're going TE in Round 2 then it has to be Ertz or Escobar IMO.
    You think he'd be there in the third? That would ideal, except that is where I want The Jets to pick Jamie Collins.

All Pro
    I'd LOVE a Escobar (2) and a McDonald (4) combo. Or Kasa later. In a perfect world, we'd get Jordan Reed - a true move Tight End - and one of the bigger boys.

I don't think McDonald goes before mid-late round 3.

No love for Kelce in this thread?

All Pro
    I change my stance on McDonald. I just assumed he was Casey replica. Not at all. He's no better than 4th round guy at best. Just watched everything I could find on him out there...

He's NOT a naturally pass-catching TE. Poor ball security and stone hands. He'd do better as a fullback than a TE in the NFL.

All Pro

What is the Job of a TE

Why do we even bother calling them TEs anymore anyway since the vst majority of em can't block worth a tinkers darn.. The most important job of a TE is to block the strong side attacker at the LOS allowing the RB to either cut inside or outside depending on the design of the play. If there's nothing to block, you then ease your way into the soft zone and move vertical giving the QB an outlet should play action be the called play.

We have taken guys who are too big to be actual WRs and called them TEs because they can outrun LBers down the middle of the field, but can't block those same Lbers at the LOS to allow a 1st down on 3rd and 1.

People Like Gronk and Winslow Jr and the kid in Nawlins have taken the place of Slot receivers and have cause running attacks across the NFL to suffer. Ask yourself this Question. Is it any coincidence that with the advent of these new fandangle TEs, the FB position in the NFL has gone to full back haven.

If you ask me, the best TE in the 2013 draft is the kid from Alabama who nobody likes because he can't run.What he does thou, is what a TE is supposed to do. He blocks like a demon at the LOS and he catches the ball when it's thrown to him in the short soft zone. Let your Split end and Flanker handle the outside, the quick slot handle the deep middle and the TE do what he is supposed to do and your offense will run the way it was designed to run.

Way too much specializing in the NFL today, and it's ruining the game.

All Pro
    Tinny,

I think you're a little too critical of today's TEs. Sure, there are plenty of Jimmy Graham guys who can't block. But Gronk can block. Witten can block. Vernon Davis can block. Martellus Bennett can block. There are plenty dual purpose TEs in the game.

I'd like the Jets to find one. Badly.

Also, I wouldn't call Williams the best TE in the class... but he needs to be a Jet IMO. They should definitely take him in the 5th or 6th round. He's a stud and while not fast, he can use his size to get open and he has good hands. I'd love to have him here as a #2 TE.

The thing about TE in today's game is that these guys are so big and athletic... it's virtually impossible to cover them 1 on 1. Too fast for most LBs, too big for DBs. So the formation variations with these guys is unlimited and forces defenses to make tough personnel decisions all day long.

All Pro
    You know who could block and still make big plays right? .....(avatar)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Tinny,

I think you're a little too critical of today's TEs. Sure, there are plenty of Jimmy Graham guys who can't block. But Gronk can block. Witten can block. Vernon Davis can block. Martellus Bennett can block. There are plenty dual purpose TEs in the game.

I'd like the Jets to find one. Badly.

Also, I wouldn't call Williams the best TE in the class... but he needs to be a Jet IMO. They should definitely take him in the 5th or 6th round. He's a stud and while not fast, he can use his size to get open and he has good hands. I'd love to have him here as a #2 TE.

The thing about TE in today's game is that these guys are so big and athletic... it's virtually impossible to cover them 1 on 1. Too fast for most LBs, too big for DBs. So the formation variations with these guys is unlimited and forces defenses to make tough personnel decisions all day long.
    With the exception of Davis, where were those other guys drafted. I want a TE who can block 1st and formost. If he can catch the ball when it's thrown to him, that's icing on the cake. I could careless how fast he runs.
    All these new age TEs do s force you to look at safeties who are bigger and can run and smaller Lbers who can run and hit. The 34 is gonna go the way of the fullback with these TEs.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 04-06-2013 at 08:02 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    You know who could block and still make big plays right? .....(avatar)
    What was his 40 time at the combine. How much are you willing to pay him to have him on your team. What will determined his value to your team. These are the type of questions i used when making assesments about who i take in my mock drafts. That's why my mocks don't look anything like most around here. I take players that make team and fiscal sense over the longterm.

What sense does it make to draft players, watch them develop and then lose them because you can't afford them.

You build the infrastructure, then you add the trimmings. Build the trenches while looking under every nook and cranny for a QB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    What was his 40 time at the combine. How much are you willing to pay him to have him on your team. What will determined his value to your team. These are the type of questions i used when making assesments about who i take in my mock drafts. That's why my mocks don't look anything like most around here. I take players that make team and fiscal sense over the longterm.

What sense does it make to draft players, watch them develop and then lose them because you can't afford them.

You build the infrastructure, then you add the trimmings. Build the trenches while looking under every nook and cranny for a QB.
    I don't know what any of this has to do with Pettigrew.

You know what you sound like, right? One of those "Back when i was young..." types. You can't stop change. The position is no longer "designated move blocker". It's a dynamic part of the offense... one which you're taking an incredibly naive view on. Many teams are moving to a two TE system with a true move TE/H-back and the other playing a more conventional role at times.

If it was up to me, we'd draft 2 TEs in this draft, and NO wide receivers or running backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Why do we even bother calling them TEs anymore anyway since the vst majority of em can't block worth a tinkers darn.. The most important job of a TE is to block the strong side attacker at the LOS allowing the RB to either cut inside or outside depending on the design of the play. If there's nothing to block, you then ease your way into the soft zone and move vertical giving the QB an outlet should play action be the called play.

We have taken guys who are too big to be actual WRs and called them TEs because they can outrun LBers down the middle of the field, but can't block those same Lbers at the LOS to allow a 1st down on 3rd and 1.

People Like Gronk and Winslow Jr and the kid in Nawlins have taken the place of Slot receivers and have cause running attacks across the NFL to suffer. Ask yourself this Question. Is it any coincidence that with the advent of these new fandangle TEs, the FB position in the NFL has gone to full back haven.

If you ask me, the best TE in the 2013 draft is the kid from Alabama who nobody likes because he can't run.What he does thou, is what a TE is supposed to do. He blocks like a demon at the LOS and he catches the ball when it's thrown to him in the short soft zone. Let your Split end and Flanker handle the outside, the quick slot handle the deep middle and the TE do what he is supposed to do and your offense will run the way it was designed to run.

Way too much specializing in the NFL today, and it's ruining the game.
    Sounds like the guy your looking for might be on the roster
    Hayden Smith?
    Let Hayden be the workhorse & draft another TE that can get into the deep seem, quickly & can jump high enough to be a redzone beast.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...-ends-the-jets

We are weeks away from the NFL draft, which means everyone is evaluating the talent on their team and discussing where the biggest area of need is. For some teams that is a short conversation, the likes of the 49’ers and the Broncos can pick just the one or two positions and be done. Unfortunately for other teams like the Jaguars and the Jets it’s a much longer conversation. So we are going to look through each position, highlight the players who are currently on the roster and then give it a need score out of 10. Also looking at some players we can look at come late April. In the fourth edition, we look at the Tight End position.

8/10 – Need Factor

Current players on the roster: Jeff Cumberland, Konrad Reuland and Hayden Smith

This will be Jeff Cumberlands 4th year in New York and 2012 represented his best statistical performance to date. He started 12 games, caught 29 passes for 359 yards and 3 scores. He has a big body and ran a 4.45 before being drafted. His problem is staying on the football field and making the most of the talent that he has. There is reason to be optimistic with Jeff, he does have talent and he has been playing with a sub-par quarterback. With a full off-season as the starter, getting all the reps with the 1’s, he could have his break out year. Konrad Reuland won’t offer you much and Hayden Smith is still managing the transition from Rugby to the NFL, in short he is a complete unknown. Like Cumberland he has the size and promise, but doesn’t have the experience or track record – both could break out, but just as easily, both could flop. There is a reason I put a need factor at 8/10 for this position and the depth chart above shows why.

Draft Options

The draft gives the Jets reason for optimism, it is deep and the talent to be had at the top is intriguing. First up is the Notre Dame tight end and only first round talent in this draft, Tyler Eifert. The last tight end to come out of Notre Dame was Kyle Rudolph in 2011 and last season he broke out with 53 receptions for 493 yards and 9 touchdowns. Tyler has the capability to do the same thing. He has excellent hands, good body control, a lot of toughness, good footwork and a lot of strength to beat press coverage. Oh he can also block too which is never a bad thing. He doesn’t possess elite straight line speed or the quickness in and out of breaks but he’ll be a very good tight end at the next level. Unfortunately he’s likely to go in the 20-30 range and unless we trade down (or up in the 2nd) we won’t be seeing him as a Jet.

So we move on to Tight End #2, Zach Ertz from Stanford. Who I have around the 30-35 range in the draft, could get up into the first but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him taken in the first couple of selections in the 2nd. He has good quickness, nice speed, he’s tough and wins contested catches more often than not. He has excellent hands and is very reliable. He can line up in-line, out wide or even in the slot, he also has an excellent work rate. I would be delighted to get Ertz, he does need to get stronger at the point and his routes need to be crisper and not rounded but his negatives are minor and can be worked out with coaching, his positives can’t be taught. Unfortunately he won’t be there when we select in the 2nd in my mind, so if we want him we’re going to have to trade up to get him. While I think he will be a great talent, if you continue reading you’ll see why I’m in favour of waiting it out at this position.

Now we move into the 2nd-4th round talent. Top of that list for me is Travis Kelce from Cincinnati. He’s joined by Jordan Reed from Florida, Vance McDonald from Rice and Gavin Escobar from San Diego State. Most people have McDonald and Escobar going in the 2nd and Kelce going in the 3rd, but in my mind Kelce is the better player. He has quickness and although it doesn’t show in timed 40 yard dash, good speed. He is very fluid and smooth going in and out of breaks and doesn’t struggle to get separation. As a former QB recruit he sees the field well and always works back to the ball. Best part is his blocking, he is exceptional at the point and finishes every single block. Plays with immense intensity and always aware of his assignment. He will likely go around the late 2nd, early 3rd range. For me I would have no problem selecting him in the 2nd round if we thought he was our man, but If we could manage to snap him in the 3rd then fantastic. Vance McDonald played in C-USA so there are questions about his competition faced. He catches the ball cleanly and he has excellent size and speed, but he will need to work on his in-line blocking at the next level. Escobar is similar and played mostly out of the slot in college, also ran a poor 40 time during workouts (4.78). Reed is fluid and has good athleticism but he lacks ideal size and is very inconsistent receiving and blocking.

Now we move to low 4th to 6th round talent. The likes of Jake Stoneburner from Ohio State, Dion Sims from Michigan State, Mychal Rivera from Tennessee, Nick Kasa from Colorao, Chris Gragg from Arkansas and a whole host of others. So lets start with Stoneburner who I think will go in the 5th round, he is a good athlete who makes the tough catches, but he is a little lost when it comes to blocking and he’ll Mulligan you with penalties more often than not. Dion Sims has some serious talent, good size, great speed, top hands and a tank when he gets the ball in his hands. Unfortunately his career in high school and college has been plagued by injuries and he missed the 2010 season due to a felony charge. Mychal Rivera is another tight end who lacks the proto size but he has excellent hands and great body control, much more of a receiving tight end than an all around player. The same could be said for Arkansas tight end Gragg, see Mychal Rivera who plays a little quicker.

Now to the bottom of the draft, the 6th and 7th round. Here we have one of my favourite guys in Joseph Fauria from UCLA. We also have Lucas Reed from New Mexico and Levine Toilolo from Stanford. Fauria is 6’8, 250lbs and runs around the 4.75 mark. He has soft hands and good flexibility for a man his size. He is extremely rough with not much starting experience in college, but he has a lot of potential and at the moment he would be a very attractive red-zone target. Reed has the size and toughness but his route running leaves a lot to be desired. If you don’t want Fauria, then Toilolo is exactly the same with incredibly size, but for his size he should know how to use his body better and despite his size, he really doesn’t do a good job at the point of attack.

My Big Board

1- Tyler Eifert – 1st Round

2- Zach Ertz – 1st-2nd Round

3- Travis Kelce- 2nd Round

4- Vance McDonald- 3rd round

5- Gavin Escobar – 3rd Round

6- Jordan Reed- 4th Round

7- Chris Gragg- 4th Round

8- Nick Kasa – 4th Round

9- Dion Sims – 4th Round

10- Mychal Rivera – 5th Round

11- Jake Stoneburner – 5th Round