Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ugh... Idzik likes Ertz

All Pro

Ugh... Idzik likes Ertz

Zach Ertz - TE - Player
    NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline hears that Stanford TE Zach Ertz and North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams are "evidently favorites" of Jets GM John Idzik.
    Ertz and Williams are not candidates for the No. 9 overall pick, but could be on New York's radar at No. 39 overall. Williams seems less likely after the Jets drafted defensive linemen in each of the last two first rounds (Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinton Coples). Ertz would fill a pressing need as a catch-first tight end in a Jets offense all but bereft of quality skill-position players.
    Coming from a guy who has too many Tight End posters in his basement weight-room... Ertz is NOT the guy I wanted. I don't see the high ceiling with him. He'll be dependable, but I doubt ever a game-changer.

Very disappointed to see us eyeing him with what will probably be our #39 pick. Much rather look at Escobar or Reed in the later rounds. Or ideally Eifert in a trade back/revis scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Coming from a guy who has too many Tight End posters in his basement weight-room... Ertz is NOT the guy I wanted. I don't see the high ceiling with him. He'll be dependable, but I doubt ever a game-changer.

Very disappointed to see us eyeing him with what will probably be our #39 pick. Much rather look at Escobar or Reed in the later rounds. Or ideally Eifert in a trade back/revis scenario
    Ertz is no Worse than Keller ... Terrible inline Blocker ... But can Stretch the Seam...

Jets Insider VIP
    Good

Love Ertz

Ertz has the ability to stretch the field, as he was one of the few players on Stanford that could stretch the field last year. He's a better athlete than people give him credit for. I think he's a solid pick in the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Ertz has the ability to stretch the field,
    Ya, and so does Escobar. His hands are better, and he's gotta bigger frame. Not to mention I think his game is going to continue to climb.

Jets Insider VIP

I actually think he's a better prospect than Fleener was last year.

Can stretch the field, attacks the ball, and is a tough son of a b*tch.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I actually think he's a better prospect than Fleener was last year.

Can stretch the field, attacks the ball, and is a tough son of a b*tch.
    Escobar does all those better.

this is so typical of my life. We're finally gonna go after a TE in the draft (which has me tickled pink all over) and it's the one cat I don't want...

Fck me.

All League
    I like Ertz as well, and could see him similar to Jason Witten as a pass catcher. He has a long way to go to be close to Witten as a blocker, but as a body, athlete, an receiver, I think he could be very similar. Ertz had a 35 inch vert at his pro day, and at 6'5", that's an impressive red zone target. I would be fine with Ertz in round 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Ertz.....Right church, wrong pew.

Hall Of Fame

this is so typical of my life. We're finally gonna go after a TE in the draft (which has me tickled pink all over) and it's the one cat I don't want...

Fck me.
    LOL....hopefully the Jets get the Bucs pick and can take Eifert at 13 instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    No one knows if we will actually draft him, no need to get upset.

Comparing him to Eifert he looks less than the TE you want to draft, and that's mainly because Eifert is a better receiver. Physically they're about the same, and they're close on speed/strength/etc. Blocking, you'd actually have to give Ertz the edge, but neither is getting drafted for their blocking. Ertz runs better routes than Eifert as well, and gets separation easily from the LBs/DBs covering him.

Positives/Negatives, but those are pretty much the facts.

Fck me.
    Don't give up,maybe we'll trade Revis for Pettigrew

All Pro
    I think Ertz will be the best, most well-rounded TE drafted this year.

Eifert might be the better weapon, but I see Ertz developing into a very good blocker while proving to be more than adequate in the passing game. A Jason Witten type.

Jets Insider VIP
    I wouldn't go as far as to label Ertz the next Jason Witten.

He reminds me of a stronger version of Zach Miller.

I'd sign up for that in the 2nd round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    lol

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Sigh... Petti. He'll be a free agent next year ya' know. My sweet prince, we should have never taken Sanchez instead of you.
    Last edited by Paradis; 04-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.

After complete silence in Florham park Paradis is believing a story that Idzik is telling people who he likes in the draft....yea, that's believable & very upsetting, lol.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    After complete silence in Florham park Paradis is believing a story that Idzik is telling people who he likes in the draft....yea, that's believable & very upsetting, lol.
    You're calling Tony's insight a "story"? I guess so. Maybe I should take my cues from you instead? What round is A. Brown going in today - the 5th?

Ya, and so does Escobar. His hands are better, and he's gotta bigger frame. Not to mention I think his game is going to continue to climb.
    Prefer Reed or Escobar in the later rounds. Pick up Hunt or Cooper in the 2nd