Thread: Kenny Vaccaro - The Swiss Army Knife

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kenny Vaccaro - The Swiss Army Knife

There has been a ton of praise when talking about this current Safety class, and Vaccaro has consistently been on the top of the rankings. I'll admit at first I was skeptical of Kenny, as I didn't see the potential in him to be an elite Safety. Also, when I first watched his tape, and compared it to Sean Taylor's tape, and even Eric Berry's, I was left empty.

However, when you divulge into his tape more, you see that he's just a football player. Pure talent. His backpedal, and stop and go is out of this world. Also, turns his head, and has ultra quick hips.

At 6'0 - 215, Vaccaro can play FS, SS, and even the nickel. You can line him up against the likes of Welker, Amendola, and Hernandez. He's a swiss army knife, that with the right personal would become a monster. Put him with Rex, and let Rex go to work. The 3-3-5 schemes we'd run with Kenny would be out of this world.

If we make a deal with Tampa, adding a guy like Jordan or Mingo to go along with Vaccaro would give us an ELITE defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    There has been a ton of praise when talking about this current Safety class, and Vaccaro has consistently been on the top of the rankings. I'll admit at first I was skeptical of Kenny, as I didn't see the potential in him to be an elite Safety. Also, when I first watched his tape, and compared it to Sean Taylor's tape, and even Eric Berry's, I was left empty.

However, when you divulge into his tape more, you see that he's just a football player. Pure talent. His backpedal, and stop and go is out of this world. Also, turns his head, and has ultra quick hips.

At 6'0 - 215, Vaccaro can play FS, SS, and even the nickel. You can line him up against the likes of Welker, Amendola, and Hernandez. He's a swiss army knife, that with the right personal would become a monster. Put him with Rex, and let Rex go to work. The 3-3-5 schemes we'd run with Kenny would be out of this world.

If we make a deal with Tampa, adding a guy like Jordan or Mingo to go along with Vaccaro would give us an ELITE defense.

Sign me up!
    If Rex had an edge rusher & his Ed Reed! Scary!
    Jets could go all offense from 2-7 & sign a couple of vet LBs cheap for depth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just can't see him as the #9 selection given that we have a number of other high quality safeties 30 picks later, but in scenario where we trade back or acquire picks in the Revis deal, I'm not lethally opposed. I think Elam and Cyprien are better bangs for your bucks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think Elam turns out to be the best safety from this draft class.

Nothing wrong with Vaccaro though. I don't think he'll be a bust, but I don't think he'll be a gamechanger either. Not as good of a prospect as Barron was last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swiss army knife has a corkscrew, but it is not as good as a real corkscrews, it has 3 different types of blades but none of them are as good as blades desinged to do a specific job.

Vaccarro is a bit overrated in my mind if anything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't seem to figure out why he's apparently the consensus #1 safety. He's solid not spectacular in any regard.

He will probably be a pretty good player, but I don't see any special ability. Picking him at 9 would be fuggin insanity. Picking him in the top 20 is a stretch IMO.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the same as many of you. Why is he the #1?

It's his ability to do it all.

Throw him at the nickel, he'll lock you down. (Tavon Austin)

Great blitz'r

Quick hits, ability to stop and go.

He doesn't make the pretty hits that Elam does, but he's a guy that with the right coaching staff can prosper as an elite Safety.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just don't see it with Vaccaro.For me Reid is the guy who you want if replacing Landry is the priority(although I think Antonio Allen can surprise in that role)Perhaps there's something subtle about Vaccaro I'm missing but as was already mentioned Elam and Reid will be the best safeties in this class.Also like Shamarko Tthomas in Rd 3 or 4

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Report on profootballtalk.com says the Dolphins are bringing him for a visit and is becoming a real possibility for them at 12

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hins-at-no-12/