Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    "If he does not want to go there"? Since when do teams ask a player if he wants to go to a team? Obviously he can refuse an offer - but that's about it, and it's not as if teams are falling over themselves giving him multiple offers. If the Jets find someone to trade him to, what say does he have in the matter?
    Again the Jets can trade Revis to any team they want to, but he doesn't have to sign a long term contract with that team. With out him signing an extension with the the team that trading for him ,it called a one year rental. One year rental your not getting back anything of value. See fifth it cost the Jets to get santonio Holmes.

So it does matter what Revis wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post
    Excellent post...exactly correct.

Revis and his agents would be foolish not to recognize that at this point the market for CB's has tanked...big time. And, Revis is coming off a potentially significant injury AND really has NO leverage to re-negotiate his deal at this point UNLESS the NYJ either decide to do it themselves for their own long term interest or trade him.

So, if the NYJ or another team that he might be traded to offers him $20 mill guaranteed on a 5 yr deal, Revis would be hard pressed to just dismiss it out of hand. That contract would still make him the highest paid CB in the league. To dismiss that deal, Revis would be assuming a certain amount of risk..namely that:

a. The market for CB's doesn't deteriorate further (hell, you need 3 good ones to make a difference and paying 1 double market value don't help in a cap strapped league).

b. That he comes back just as effective a player, and

c. That he doesn't suffer another injury next year before hitting a FA market where the deal he is offered might not be substantially different from the one he turned down.

Believe me, Revis wants a new deal now, and rightly so...a new deal now abrogates a lot of risk on his part for the upcoming season..and guaranteed money now is worth more than 'potential' money later.

This is why I'd offer Revis a deal that keeps him the highest paid CB, like $8 mill/per with half guaranteed over 5 yrs..but I would not cap f*ck myself now either.
    I will bet anyone on here that Revis will get his money in 2014.( 12 million a year at least) The top players in their prime are going to get paid. It is as simple as that. There is no franchise tag to worry about and all you have to do is sign him. ( their will be multiple teams bidding on his service)

Some teams will have so much cash to play with and not enough big time Fa to go around. He will be there big signing.

When are you fans going to realize Revis never blinks and it the Jets who cave in every single time. Jets might not cave with a new FO but they also might watch him leave for nothing in 2014.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The 6 mil is his base salary. He's making around 11mil this year, plus we have to pay him 9mil next year when he's no longer on the team. You guys and your reasonable Revis really need to check your facts. He's not signing with the Jets unless he gets 15mil per at least.
    Thats not even close to being right. Revis is not making 11 million this year. He is making 6 million. 3 million base salary, 2 million roster bonus and 1 million in workout bonus. Next year he is scheduled to make only 3 million, but will opt out so it is irrelevant.

Plus, the Jets do not have to PAY Revis next year when he is no longer on the team, it is the cap hit that is accounted for the signing bonus he received when he signed his contract, not a cash expenditure.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    When are you fans going to realize Revis never blinks and it the Jets who cave in every single time. Jets might not cave with a new FO but they also might watch him leave for nothing in 2014.
    Please ... there were two willing partners in this. Yes, playing amateur GM, I would have called his bluff but I don't necessarily think the Jets made the wrong move. They got extraordinary cornerback play that helped them get to two AFC championship games. No, it is not the same as superbowl rings but it was a good enough performance to sell seats and help rebrand this franchise as legitimate. The Jets did fine in enabling Revis's contract demands, it was a symbiosis that worked for a number of years. Now is the time that the symbiosis no longer works; this team is no longer a stellar corner away from an AFC championship game ... now is the time to sign him to a reasonable contract or trade him. If we can't sign him, trading him is the right move.

I won't blame Tannenbaum for signing the Revis contract. They believed they had a window at a ring, so they bent over backwards to make the contract work. I grant you that the Sanchez extension was idiotic but the Revis extension , given Rex's insistence of Revis's sainthood, was the only reasonable way forward at that time.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules
    ... the problem with this line of thinking is Revis is all about $$$ and $$$ now ...

he is scheduled to make about $6 million or so more for 2013

he WILL NOT play 2013 for that in hopes of making more $$$ in 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The 6 mil is his base salary. He's making around 11mil this year,
    ... learn to read bro, i said it is the amount of new money he will get ...

... also learn to get your facts straight - 3 mil is bonus's & 3 mil is base salary

... if your brain can handle it read up on Jason's site for the best breakdown out there ...

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/revisfuture.html

Quote Originally Posted by NY's special-ed,child
    plus we have to pay him 9mil next year when he's no longer on the team. You guys and your reasonable Revis really need to check your facts.
    ... ...

dead money & cap hit are not additional salary that he will get paid from the NYJ ... look in the mirror when you are telling someone to check their facts!

ljr

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Please ... there were two willing partners in this. Yes, playing amateur GM, I would have called his bluff but I don't necessarily think the Jets made the wrong move. They got extraordinary cornerback play that helped them get to two AFC championship games. No, it is not the same as superbowl rings but it was a good enough performance to sell seats and help rebrand this franchise as legitimate. The Jets did fine in enabling Revis's contract demands, it was a symbiosis that worked for a number of years. Now is the time that the symbiosis no longer works; this team is no longer a stellar corner away from an AFC championship game ... now is the time to sign him to a reasonable contract or trade him. If we can't sign him, trading him is the right move.

I won't blame Tannenbaum for signing the Revis contract. They believed they had a window at a ring, so they bent over backwards to make the contract work. I grant you that the Sanchez extension was idiotic but the Revis extension , given Rex's insistence of Revis's sainthood, was the only reasonable way forward at that time.

No one cares about the past(what tanny should have done and didn't do) with Revis as Jets have a new FO.( their new sheriff in town) My point was simple Revis has most of the cards in his favor. I see alot of Jet fans think Revis is going to panic and sign at a reasonable rate. (fearing injury)

The Jets front office might have changed by D Revis hasn't. This guy isn't signing for one penny less than he thinks he worth. Even if he has to wait till 2014 to get his money, you better believe he going to wait.

You don't get to Revis level without totally believing in your self. JMO like Joe Flacco, R Clady and countless other players that risked it all and are laughing all the way to the bank this year.

Revis despite the flat cap is going to sign a very very very large contract in 2014 if he waits till he unrestricted Fa.

"If he does not want to go there"? Since when do teams ask a player if he wants to go to a team? Obviously he can refuse an offer - but that's about it, and it's not as if teams are falling over themselves giving him multiple offers. If the Jets find someone to trade him to, what say does he have in the matter?
    He can refuse to sign a extension, if the team is only renting him for one year what the jets will recieve in compensation is going to be greatly impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I wonder if Patman thought Richard Seymour was jumping for joy when they traded him right before the season to the 5-11 Raiders??
    No he hated it, but he had one year left on his contract and the raiders had the right to tag him. so they were getting him for a minimum of two years if he was not willing to sign long term. And the comp was a 1st 2 drafts down the road.

Compare that to trading for a guy that you cant tag and who has suffered an injury where in the great majority of cases the level of play is affected. So the team that is trading for revis without a deal in place may get Revis at 80-90% of his previous level for the year they are renting him.

No one cares about the past(what tanny should have done and didn't do) with Revis as Jets have a new FO.( their new sheriff in town) My point was simple Revis has most of the cards in his favor. I see alot of Jet fans think Revis is going to panic and sign at a reasonable rate. (fearing injury)

The Jets front office might have changed by D Revis hasn't. This guy isn't signing for one penny less than he thinks he worth. Even if he has to wait till 2014 to get his money, you better believe he going to wait.

You don't get to Revis level without totally believing in your self. JMO like Joe Flacco, R Clady and countless other players that risked it all and are laughing all the way to the bank this year.

Revis despite the flat cap is going to sign a very very very large contract in 2014 if he waits till he unrestricted Fa.
    The irony of the faiders fan granting us all his infinite wisdom.

Maybe worry about your own team's transactional value first; I think the Bengals have already started scouting 2016's top 5 draft picks due to your generous contribution.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    He can refuse to sign a extension, if the team is only renting him for one year what the jets will recieve in compensation is going to be greatly impacted.
    he can refuse to sign an extension with his current team, that doesn't say anything about whether he can refuse to go to a team that the Jets might trade him to. If he did that, they'd have no reason to increase their offer to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

how you can't fault the whole handling of the revis contract is beyond me.
    It was by far worse than the Sanchez contract, Sanchez had a shotat being a good qb and to be worth that money. stupidity- yes. negligence- no.

To get Revis to extend 2 years they gave him loads of money and the right to tag they guy, plus the contract was structured in such a way that if he did walk the jets would get hit with a 9 mill cap charge. What other guy who was under contract in the NFL ever got such a deal. .

he can refuse to sign an extension with his current team, that doesn't say anything about whether he can refuse to go to a team that the Jets might trade him to. If he did that, they'd have no reason to increase their offer to him.
    I'm not following you. The scenario I painted was that not that Revise could refuse a trade as that would be the same as refusing to report, as it would be considered holding out and negating his no tag agreement.

But that said, if he would not sign an extension with lets say Tampa,
    what Tampa would offer the jets to rent him for the year in compensation would be a lot less than what the would offer the jets if they had a long term deal in place. I am not talking about revis's compensation but what the jets would receive in trade.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 11m
    This report says #Bucs are willing to surrender 1st, 3rd, & 6th-round picks for Revis, and sign him for $15-16M/year: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--so...031020672.html
    Interesting...

All Pro
    Not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    The irony of the faiders fan granting us all his infinite wisdom.

Maybe worry about your own team's transactional value first; I think the Bengals have already started scouting 2016's top 5 draft picks due to your generous contribution.
    LOL

So true

All League
    and the media blitz on the latest tid-bit shall commence:

Source: Yahoo Sports Apr 7 - 11:39 PM

Three sources tell Yahoo's Jason Cole the Buccaneers are "growing impatient" with Darrelle Revis trade talks.

Both sides seem to be using the media to put pressure on one another. There's no reason for true impatience with the draft over two weeks away. Cole does pass along two interesting notes: 1. Thus far, the Bucs are Revis' only "serious bidder." The Jets would love to get another team involved to drive up Revis' price. 2. The Bucs are willing to trade first-, third-, and sixth-round picks for Revis, as well as sign him to a long-term deal worth upwards of $16 million a year. Still, the sides seem to be merely posturing. Expect a trade by the draft's first day (April 25).

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    and the media blitz on the latest tid-bit shall commence:

Source: Yahoo Sports Apr 7 - 11:39 PM

Three sources tell Yahoo's Jason Cole the Buccaneers are "growing impatient" with Darrelle Revis trade talks.

Both sides seem to be using the media to put pressure on one another. There's no reason for true impatience with the draft over two weeks away. Cole does pass along two interesting notes: 1. Thus far, the Bucs are Revis' only "serious bidder." The Jets would love to get another team involved to drive up Revis' price. 2. The Bucs are willing to trade first-, third-, and sixth-round picks for Revis, as well as sign him to a long-term deal worth upwards of $16 million a year. Still, the sides seem to be merely posturing. Expect a trade by the draft's first day (April 25).
    If the Jets could get that deal he would have been traded already. Raider9175 is reporting Tampa Bay is offering 6 1 picks for D Revis and offering him 20 million. Is that any more believable.

Why would Tampa bay offer that much in a trade when they are the only bidder for Revis services?
    If Tampa Bay isn't willing to give up this years pick for Revis why would they rush to make a deal when they can just wait till after the draft and than make a deal with jets.( what other team has offered anything for Revis that they would be worried about.

JMO I think all this talk is from Tampabay side. Why? They want D Revis to know what they are willing to pay him and saying Bs what they are willing to trade for him. when this trade falls apart it wasn't them who are responsible but the Jets for being Greedy.
    This way when D Revis is unrestricted Fa in 2014 he knows the Price they are willing to pay for him. Also if Jets trade him to another team he better get 16 million or Revis isn't signing that extension. Insuring that he will unrestricted Fa in 2014.
    Let face facts Tampa Bay isn't winning anything with D Revis this year. they can keep their picks and get him next year in free agency without having to give up a pick.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-08-2013 at 05:24 AM.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;4852794]If the Jets could get that deal he would have been traded already. Raider9175 is reporting Tampa Bay is offering 6 1 picks for D Revis and offering him 20 million. Is that any more believable.

Why would Tampa bay offer that much in a trade when they are the only bidder for Revis services?
    If Tampa Bay isn't willing to give up this years pick for Revis why would they rush to make a deal when they can just wait till after the draft and than make a deal with jets.( what other team has offered anything for Revis that they would be worried about.

JMO I think all this talk is from Tampabay side. Why? They want D Revis to know what they are willing to pay him and saying Bs what they are willing to trade for him. when this trade falls apart it wasn't them who are responsible but the Jets for being Greedy.
    This way when D Revis is unrestricted Fa in 2014 he knows the Price they are willing to pay for him. Also if Jets trade him to another team he better get 16 million or Revis isn't signing that extension. Insuring that he will unrestricted Fa in 2014.
    Let face facts Tampa Bay isn't winning anything with D Revis this year. they can keep their picks and get him next year in free agency without having to give up a pick.[/QUOTE]

Except for the small matter that if/when he becomes a free agent TB will have to bid against every other team that now knows they can get Revis without having to pay draft pick compensation.....that changes everything

Just because they 'appear' publicly to be the only suitors today that doesn't mean that tomorrow,next week or next year there won't be a high priced bidding war with multiple more attractive landing spots available....If they want Revis then they need to move to be sure of getting him.

If the Jets could get that deal he would have been traded already. Raider9175 is reporting Tampa Bay is offering 6 1 picks for D Revis and offering him 20 million. Is that any more believable.

Let face facts Tampa Bay isn't winning anything with D Revis this year. they can keep their picks and get him next year in free agency without having to give up a pick.
    I tell you what lets do it in "Reggie we trust" style and trade him for a 6th.

How the **** do you know who is in for Revis or not, you also only know what the media tells you.

More idiotic comments from this troll. Your a secret Jets fan, you spend more time here than me.

Jets Insider VIP
    how can Tampa Bay win anything with or without D Revis?

There can only be one team winning anything this season and that is the Raidaz with T Pryor and M Flynn and all those other super stars that R McKenzie and M Davis have established as the team to beat in the NFL

Just like every season in April in the black and silver tinted goggles of 91210