Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

Veteran

Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

Darrelle Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers seemed to be the leading candidate to trade for Darrelle Revis, but that might have changed. A source who spoke with Revis told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the cornerback is "not optimistic" a deal will get done.

Rapoport said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Revis isn't looking to leave the New York Jets, but the organization is unlikely to meet his contract demands. The consensus No. 1 cornerback in the league, Revis is looking to become one of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

Revis is set to opt out of his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The Jets have not been shy about entertaining trade offers.

But the Jets don't have a ton of leverage. They can hold onto an unhappy Revis for a final year, then lose him to free agency and receive nothing but a compensatory pick. If the Jets want to get this whole ordeal over and gather picks for the 2013 NFL Draft and their current retool, they have three weeks to find a trade partner. The Bucs, however, don't seem eager to give up their No. 13 pick.

The Revis drama continues ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ampa-bay-trade

It's Revis contract demands that are holding everything up.
    Should have traded him when he was at his peak.
    With or without Revis our Jets aren't winning a Superbowl any time soon anyway.
    If its true that Tampa offered next years 1 & 2 and the Jets let him go for a comp pick I won't be happy.
    I'm hoping Tampa wants to see how the draft falls & we trade on draft day for at least a pick in the 1st three rounds in 2013 + picks in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    Darrelle Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

By Kareem Copeland
    Around the League Writer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers seemed to be the leading candidate to trade for Darrelle Revis, but that might have changed. A source who spoke with Revis told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the cornerback is "not optimistic" a deal will get done.

Rapoport said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" that Revis isn't looking to leave the New York Jets, but the organization is unlikely to meet his contract demands. The consensus No. 1 cornerback in the league, Revis is looking to become one of the highest paid defensive players in the NFL.

Revis is set to opt out of his current deal and become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season. The Jets have not been shy about entertaining trade offers.

But the Jets don't have a ton of leverage. They can hold onto an unhappy Revis for a final year, then lose him to free agency and receive nothing but a compensatory pick. If the Jets want to get this whole ordeal over and gather picks for the 2013 NFL Draft and their current retool, they have three weeks to find a trade partner. The Bucs, however, don't seem eager to give up their No. 13 pick.

The Revis drama continues ...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ampa-bay-trade

As the media spins.....

Remember, the media was telling us the Jets should take a #2 pick, basically whatever they were offered, for Revis a month ago. The "inside experts" who wrote that narrative were already proven wrong as the Bucs have offered a #1 pick since then. That does not stop the gossip columnists from spinning tales of doom and gloom for the Jets; until draft day when the team gets multiple picks, including a first round pick, for Revis.

And to be honest, if I were running the team and I was not happy with the offer, I would wait even longer. Because when training camp begins and the entire football world sees a healthy Revis practicing fully the offers will be coming in. A contending team that can acquire a healthy Revis and not have to give compensation from their team this season will offer a lot of value.

As for Revis' contract demands, his camp will expedite the process at that point by altering the contract to fit the salary cap structure of the trading team. Of course, he will not leave a penny on the table-that goes without saying. But in the interest of ending this situation he will instruct his agents to agree to a salary cap friendly deal initially.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 04-06-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    If its true that Tampa offered next years 1 & 2 and the Jets let him go for a comp pick I won't be happy.
    I'm hoping Tampa wants to see how the draft falls & we trade on draft day for at least a pick in the 1st three rounds in 2013 + picks in 2014.
    We should have traded him when we were going to AFC championship games because of a defense built around him?

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post

As the media spins.....

Remember, the media was telling us the Jets should take a #2 pick, basically whatever they were offered, for Revis a month ago. The "inside experts" who wrote that narrative were already proven wrong as the Bucs have offered a #1 pick since then. That does not stop the gossip columnists from spinning tales of doom and gloom for the Jets; until draft day when the team gets multiple picks, including a first round pick, for Revis.

And to be honest, if I were running the team and I was not happy with the offer, I would wait even longer. Because when training camp begins and the entire football world sees a healthy Revis practicing fully the offers will be coming in. A contending team that can acquire a healthy Revis and not have to give compensation from their team this season will offer a lot of value.

As for Revis' contract demands, his camp will expedite the process at that point by altering the contract to fit the salary cap structure of the trading team. Of course, he will not leave a penny on the table-that goes without saying. But in the interest of ending this situation he will instruct his agents to agree to a salary cap friendly deal initially.
    Supposedly the bucs have offered the 2014 1st rd pick and nothing more.
    but that offer is based on them coming to a long term deal and not a rental for the year. People speculated and i was one of them that no team would give up a first without him being able to work out, I was wrong but I still stand by my statement that it is stupid for any team to do so. But then again that is why the bucs make the playoffs once every 10 years.

Peter king only speculated that they would throw in something more and they may well. But all this speculation still revolves around Revis's contract demands. The bucs may well be willing to offer the 2014 pick if they can sign revis long term to a 5 year 60 mill contract making him the highest paid corner in the league. But want if revis wants more? Is the price then too high in both picks and dollars. If the Bucs drop out there has not been another team even rumored to be after him, that has not publicly denied it.

To go along with that speculation, media reports are saying that the jets are holding out for this year's #1. Now fans are saying that they even expect more than this years #13 when the jets are not even rumored to be asking for more and you call this media spin?

As far as waiting it out to camp, why do you feel there will be more teams willing to make the deal for Revis as a long term solution? There will certainly be more teams looking at him as a short term rental.

Veteran
    reality has a funny way of biting you in the arse, wake up Revis and smell the 7 million a year the NEW YORK JETS will offer you.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    but that offer is based on them coming to a long term deal and not a rental for the year. People speculated and i was one of them that no team would give up a first without him being able to work out, I was wrong but I still stand by my statement that it is stupid for any team to do so. But then again that is why the bucs make the playoffs once every 10 years.

Peter king only speculated that they would throw in something more and they may well. But all this speculation still revolves around Revis's contract demands. The bucs may well be willing to offer the 2014 pick if they can sign revis long term to a 5 year 60 mill contract making him the highest paid corner in the league. But want if revis wants more? Is the price then too high in both picks and dollars. If the Bucs drop out there has not been another team even rumored to be after him, that has not publicly denied it.

To go along with that speculation, media reports are saying that the jets are holding out for this year's #1. Now fans are saying that they even expect more than this years #13 when the jets are not even rumored to be asking for more and you call this media spin?

As far as waiting it out to camp, why do you feel there will be more teams willing to make the deal for Revis as a long term solution? There will certainly be more teams looking at him as a short term rental.
    You keep saying it but working out numbers as a condition of making a trade is rare. As logical as it sounds, it's not par for the course. In any sport.

this post is everything thats wrong with jets fans...i'd rather have a coach with too much bravado then fans with this chicken **** attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Good post.

In full disclosure, I want the Jets to be forced to "settle" for a first round pick in 2014. The Jets need to parlay Revis into a franchise QB and there is not one in this draft. There could be as many as three in 2014, could be.

Second, I do not think the Revis contract is as big of an impediment to a trade as the media has made it to be. Yes, he wants a lot of money but he and his agents will not cut their noses to spite their faces. They will be willing to structure the contract to offer cap relief for the trading team as long as they get their money in the end. The teams that have the cap room (and remember that there are a lot of ways to move money around throughout the life of an NFL contract) and are contending will spend-as long as Revis is healthy. And that leads us to my other point.

It has been universally agreed that a healthy Revis would net multiple picks including at least one first rounder. How/when can he and the Jets prove he is recovered from his injury? When he plays the sport again in front of the entire football world. When he proves he can run and cut and cover and do all the things that a trading team will want to see. Yes, teams will know that Jets will need to make a deal before the deadline thus sapping the team of some leverage. Some. On the other hand that will be counter balanced when at least two teams offer bids for the player. I contend that a hall of fame player in his prime that is fully healthy will be appealing to a contending team especially considering that they will not need to give up any compensation to the Jets in 2013.

Finally, Revis will be willing to help facilitate a trade because there is risk for him in his never ending quest to obtain every last penny he can make. The risk is that he gets injured again in 2013 thus potentially heading into free agency after back to back significant injuries. He will be playing all out in a contract year in a sport where there is a significant injury risk.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 04-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.

I think at this point that Idzik has some sort of a wink wink deal in place with the Bucs. He's too smart a man to not have a fall back option in place.
    Maybe the trade takes place on draft day if certain things fall into place and maybe it happens after the draft for next years picks. Possibly maybe it happens during training camp when Revis is more healthy and another team knows they can improve greatly by adding Revis for future picks. Maybe a team loses a corner due to injury. In all reality I think some team might be willing to part with more and better picks when 1) Revis shows he is healthy and 2) Its preseason and its obvious that they need a top corner and 3) the draft is 9 months away and its win now time for teams - then I think the Jets will get their best offers.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If Revis lets this play out with no new contract, and gets injured at all next season, he may never get guaranteed $$$$$$ again.

The Jets hold all the cards here

revis isn't a dumb football player. at this point in his career and whats been going on around the league as far cb signings he will renegotiate and remain a nyjet retire a nyjet for nyjet money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    revis isn't a dumb football player. at this point in his career and whats been going on around the league as far cb signings he will renegotiate and remain a nyjet retire a nyjet for nyjet money.
    As much as I agree with that statement (as seen by the way he has dealt with contract negations in the past) I feel that his greed might get the better of him this time around. And his agents ideas of looking out for him, is to get him every dime so they get paid.

The article suggesting the Jets have no leverage is ridiculous. They hold all the cards against Revis. If Revis comes back and isn't the same player= no money. Revis SHOULD want this trade, otherwise he is taking an enormous risk.
    They also have leverage over the Bucs, certainly for off the field reasons. Last year the Bucs had only 2 home games that were NOT BLACKED OUT. That is a big issue for management. So the Bucs can either use these picks and hope these players turn into something OR they can trade for a marque player in the prime of his career (it comes with risk because of his injury) and put fans in the stands.

By the Jets taking their time, they have put the pressure on Bucs ownership to make there team more marketable (which they have tried to do with big signings like Jackson) and they have put pressure on Revis by forcing him into a situation where he has to take a risk of show casing his talents next year to prove he is still the same player after his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    this post is everything thats wrong with jets fans...i'd rather have a coach with too much bravado then fans with this chicken **** attitude.
    What attitude?
    The attitude that you don't pay a CB QB money!
    Who were CBs in last years Superbowl, who cares, both teams have already swapped them out.

What attitude?
    The attitude that you don't pay a CB QB money!
    Who were CBs in last years Superbowl, who cares, both teams have already swapped them out.
    It's the nfl my friend, the AFC championship team from 2009 wasn't exactly the most talented team in history...and we still won. The attitude of 'we are not winning any time soon' is a loser mentality...which unfortunately some jets fans live by.

I wish the Jets would just resign him. I think that's the best thing to do with Revis, and it isn't like we'd be inheriting all manner of issues. He IS the very best CB in the league and arguably one of the best defensive players in the league. Not exactly a bad thing to be securing long term.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    If Revis lets this play out with no new contract, and gets injured at all next season, he may never get guaranteed $$$$$$ again.

nope because he also knows if he plays out season he gets better deal next year.. Players don't play scared.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I wish the Jets would just resign him. I think that's the best thing to do with Revis, and it isn't like we'd be inheriting all manner of issues. He IS the very best CB in the league and arguably one of the best defensive players in the league. Not exactly a bad thing to be securing long term.
    No one questions his talent MJ it's his attitude when it comes to money that's the problem.. There no long term in the Revis vocabulary it's 2 years and then hold out.. If he was more like Tom Brady and others that don't put themselves over everything else he would be signed..

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post

How do they hold all the cards? All they have him is for one year and no team will trade for him if he does not want to go there. The jets most likely wont even get a comp pick as they will be signing more FA than losing next year.

As far as the Bucs go, what if they draft Trufant at 13, and sign revis at the end of the year? This way they get both, They are not going to win the division next year anyway and would still be the 3 rd best team even with Revis.

The only thing in the jets favor is the perceived sentiment that revis will take less money now than he will in Jan. We know Revis wants money, but how much less for signing now is the question.

And if he lets it play out he will get more next year if getting him is un-emcumbered by having to give draft choice competition. Flacco got 5 mill more a year by not signing a year early. Kruger who until this year was a part time player got over 8 mill, Bushrod 9, Wallace and Harvin 11 mill, the top players still get paid in FA. It is the next group down that took a beating.
    Barwin got 7 mill and was injured and played lousy.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    As much as I agree with that statement (as seen by the way he has dealt with contract negations in the past) I feel that his greed might get the better of him this time around. And his agents ideas of looking out for him, is to get him every dime so they get paid.

The article suggesting the Jets have no leverage is ridiculous. They hold all the cards against Revis. If Revis comes back and isn't the same player= no money. Revis SHOULD want this trade, otherwise he is taking an enormous risk.
    They also have leverage over the Bucs, certainly for off the field reasons. Last year the Bucs had only 2 home games that were NOT BLACKED OUT. That is a big issue for management. So the Bucs can either use these picks and hope these players turn into something OR they can trade for a marque player in the prime of his career (it comes with risk because of his injury) and put fans in the stands.

By the Jets taking their time, they have put the pressure on Bucs ownership to make there team more marketable (which they have tried to do with big signings like Jackson) and they have put pressure on Revis by forcing him into a situation where he has to take a risk of show casing his talents next year to prove he is still the same player after his injury.
    Are you serious in thinking that Revis is going to drive ticket sales?
    a