Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

Hall Of Fame
    darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell
    The latest version Nike Zoom Revis conveniently comes in this “could play anywhere” color pic.twitter.com/MsHAlfjJfl

@JasonLaCanfora: latest details on the Revis trade/contract/reporting date saga, including a rehab proposal his camp made to Jets: http://t.co/s7qVTjsqLo

It's time for the New York Jets to trade Darrelle Revis. Time to end the charade and take the best offer Tampa Bay has on the table and move on. Do it no later than during the first round of the draft, and preferably before next Monday.

Because that's when this fiasco could take another step toward Ringling Bros. terrain. New Jets general manager John Idzik inherited a mess, and has been charged with the complicated task of sweeping out a circus-like culture that has infected this organization and trying to retool for the future.

Having Revis actually report for the start of New York's offseason program next Monday, and kick-start another media free-for-all, just doesn't seem prudent to me. Take a bounty of second- and third-round picks, as many as you can get, from Tampa if it still won't part with the first-rounder, and move on from a player who seems to have no long-term future in New York.

To review, Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to deal Revis, arguably the game's premier defender before tearing his ACL this past season, at the right price, and has since revamped his front office a few months back. Revis, a perennial All-Pro corner, never asked for a trade or threatened to hold out this offseason. He is entering the final year of the band-aid deal he signed in 2010 and has been rehabbing in Arizona, and making good progress doing so.

New York's offseason program begins April 15, and, as part of the last Revis contract in an effort to quash any future holdouts, there is language in the deal that requires Revis to take part in roughly 80 percent of the team's offseason program this offseason or risk $3 million in bonuses (he has a $3 million salary this season as well). And, as ESPN.com first reported, the Jets are holding him to the language of the deal. If he wants that $3 million he has to rehab with the team ... all while the Jets try to trade him in a passive-aggressive manner.

The Jets are sticking to the mantra that they aren't shopping Revis but are listening to offers. Everyone in the NFL knows they have been negotiating with the Bucs most of this offseason and that Johnson doesn't plan to re-sign Revis after the 2013 season at what the cornerback thinks he is worth (and the Bucs are prepared to pay; sources continue to affirm a new contract is not the holdup with this trade).

So next week Revis, the team's best player and one of its few remaining leaders, will fly cross country, drop a successful rehab, and then spend the ensuing weeks between now and the draft (or whenever a deal is completed) in an awkward limbo that puts the media spotlight back on the situation, with hordes of media camped outside the team's facility on Revis Watch. Teams are not required to do any formal media events at this time, and last year the Jets conducted only a few media conference calls when offseason workouts began but had no availability at the facility. But if you think that's going to prevent this from being a hot topic around New York, and stop reporters from staking out the place, well, you've never picked up a New York Post.

So, I just don't get it.

According to sources, Revis' camp communicated to the team that he would gladly report on the 15th, undergo any medical testing, meet with officials and coaches, but that, for the good of all parties, he then would return to Arizona until after the draft -- given that if the Jets can't get what they want in draft pick compensation before the draft, the odds of Revis playing a snap of football in New York this season greatly increase. So avoid the sideshow, get the medicals right, and then if there is no deal, he flies back to New York 10 days later and completes his rehab at the team facility (and Revis has no issues with any team doctors -- not even close -- it's more about just continuing to focus on his knee, and letting the trade stuff play out).

The Jets balked.

I suggested to a team source then that, if Revis is going to report on the 15th and be around the team every day from that point on, that the player and Idzik hold a press conference, get it out of the way, proclaim Revis would be a Jet in 2013, and move on -- and that's a scenario Revis wouldn't have a problem with, from what I gather. I was told that if the Jets did that, it would differ from what they have said all along about this affair, that they were listening if people were calling. Just remember, they're not really trying to trade him, right?

Obviously the team knows a deal could well be completed between now and April 26, and having that press conference could end up backfiring. I get that much. But what's another few days of Revis rehabbing in Arizona going to hurt? And will it look any better in the locker room to have him report next Monday, and then get dealt a few days later? Is that any less awkward?

Revis isn't going to risk $3 million to avoid another uncomfortable situation not of his own making, sources said, so you can be damn sure he'll be flying to New York next Sunday -- assuming he is not on Tampa's roster by then -- and then, well, let the stakeouts begin.

The Jets aren't saying much about the situation at this time, with Idzik focused solely on the draft (which makes total sense), and the team sticking to its stance that it will listen to offers, etc. The Jets aren't offering much in terms of explanation, though some have suggested they don't think the media reaction will be that crazy, pointing out the facility is closed to reporters this time of year anyway.

I heard rumblings this might be Johnson's way of showing Revis who's boss, and making a point (the only logical conclusion to some), and the team source said this was a management decision and not an ownership one.

Regardless, I don't know why now, at such a tenuous point for the franchise in trying to break free from the chaos of 2012, and at a time when it has been engaged in trade talks to ship its best player away, why it would want that player in the facility eight hours a day for the next 10 days while continuing to explore options to deal him. Really? And while he is doing well in Arizona and on a good program that team doctors haven't expressed any concern about to the best of my knowledge.

I'd tweak the contract language to mandate, say, attendance at 60 percent of the offseason program knowing full well Revis isn't going to skip out -- he wants the $3 million, and obviously holding out now coming off an ACL repair doesn't make sense -- and give him the wiggle room to stay away until after the draft. Then have the big (phony) Kumbaya press conference April 29 if a trade hasn't been made and Revis reports then.

(The media blew everything out of proportion. We never had any intention of dealing him. There were only preliminary talks. We never initiated anything, we only listened. We love Darrelle. We hope he's a Jet for life. You know, that press conference).

Trust me, Revis knows what's been going on, and, on the odd chance he is part of Gang Green in 2013, this next episode about to begin next week isn't going to make him feel any better about it. Both sides knew what the deal was back in 2010 when they concocted this contract to end his holdout and create a Hard Knocks ratings bonanza. They knew if they couldn't get a new deal done before the 2013 season, then, with the Jets sacrificing the ability to franchise him, things could get weird. And they have. And, again, Idzik is just walking into this mess, and I believe he will prove to be a steady hand to help lead them from the abyss.

I'd reconsider this particular stance, however, between now and whenever Revis is set to board that plane to New York. Let him be, just as he kept a low profile a few weeks back when the ownership meetings were in Phoenix.

Let this play out between now and the draft, and avoid further fanning a combustible situation for a fan base that has been through enough angst and drama already.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @JasonLaCanfora: latest details on the Revis trade/contract/reporting date saga, including a rehab proposal his camp made to Jets: http://t.co/s7qVTjsqLo

It's time for the New York Jets to trade Darrelle Revis. Time to end the charade and take the best offer Tampa Bay has on the table and move on. Do it no later than during the first round of the draft, and preferably before next Monday.

Because that's when this fiasco could take another step toward Ringling Bros. terrain. New Jets general manager John Idzik inherited a mess, and has been charged with the complicated task of sweeping out a circus-like culture that has infected this organization and trying to retool for the future.

Having Revis actually report for the start of New York's offseason program next Monday, and kick-start another media free-for-all, just doesn't seem prudent to me. Take a bounty of second- and third-round picks, as many as you can get, from Tampa if it still won't part with the first-rounder, and move on from a player who seems to have no long-term future in New York.

To review, Jets owner Woody Johnson wants to deal Revis, arguably the game's premier defender before tearing his ACL this past season, at the right price, and has since revamped his front office a few months back. Revis, a perennial All-Pro corner, never asked for a trade or threatened to hold out this offseason. He is entering the final year of the band-aid deal he signed in 2010 and has been rehabbing in Arizona, and making good progress doing so.

New York's offseason program begins April 15, and, as part of the last Revis contract in an effort to quash any future holdouts, there is language in the deal that requires Revis to take part in roughly 80 percent of the team's offseason program this offseason or risk $3 million in bonuses (he has a $3 million salary this season as well). And, as ESPN.com first reported, the Jets are holding him to the language of the deal. If he wants that $3 million he has to rehab with the team ... all while the Jets try to trade him in a passive-aggressive manner.

The Jets are sticking to the mantra that they aren't shopping Revis but are listening to offers. Everyone in the NFL knows they have been negotiating with the Bucs most of this offseason and that Johnson doesn't plan to re-sign Revis after the 2013 season at what the cornerback thinks he is worth (and the Bucs are prepared to pay; sources continue to affirm a new contract is not the holdup with this trade).

So next week Revis, the team's best player and one of its few remaining leaders, will fly cross country, drop a successful rehab, and then spend the ensuing weeks between now and the draft (or whenever a deal is completed) in an awkward limbo that puts the media spotlight back on the situation, with hordes of media camped outside the team's facility on Revis Watch. Teams are not required to do any formal media events at this time, and last year the Jets conducted only a few media conference calls when offseason workouts began but had no availability at the facility. But if you think that's going to prevent this from being a hot topic around New York, and stop reporters from staking out the place, well, you've never picked up a New York Post.

So, I just don't get it.

According to sources, Revis' camp communicated to the team that he would gladly report on the 15th, undergo any medical testing, meet with officials and coaches, but that, for the good of all parties, he then would return to Arizona until after the draft -- given that if the Jets can't get what they want in draft pick compensation before the draft, the odds of Revis playing a snap of football in New York this season greatly increase. So avoid the sideshow, get the medicals right, and then if there is no deal, he flies back to New York 10 days later and completes his rehab at the team facility (and Revis has no issues with any team doctors -- not even close -- it's more about just continuing to focus on his knee, and letting the trade stuff play out).

The Jets balked.

I suggested to a team source then that, if Revis is going to report on the 15th and be around the team every day from that point on, that the player and Idzik hold a press conference, get it out of the way, proclaim Revis would be a Jet in 2013, and move on -- and that's a scenario Revis wouldn't have a problem with, from what I gather. I was told that if the Jets did that, it would differ from what they have said all along about this affair, that they were listening if people were calling. Just remember, they're not really trying to trade him, right?

Obviously the team knows a deal could well be completed between now and April 26, and having that press conference could end up backfiring. I get that much. But what's another few days of Revis rehabbing in Arizona going to hurt? And will it look any better in the locker room to have him report next Monday, and then get dealt a few days later? Is that any less awkward?

Revis isn't going to risk $3 million to avoid another uncomfortable situation not of his own making, sources said, so you can be damn sure he'll be flying to New York next Sunday -- assuming he is not on Tampa's roster by then -- and then, well, let the stakeouts begin.

The Jets aren't saying much about the situation at this time, with Idzik focused solely on the draft (which makes total sense), and the team sticking to its stance that it will listen to offers, etc. The Jets aren't offering much in terms of explanation, though some have suggested they don't think the media reaction will be that crazy, pointing out the facility is closed to reporters this time of year anyway.

I heard rumblings this might be Johnson's way of showing Revis who's boss, and making a point (the only logical conclusion to some), and the team source said this was a management decision and not an ownership one.

Regardless, I don't know why now, at such a tenuous point for the franchise in trying to break free from the chaos of 2012, and at a time when it has been engaged in trade talks to ship its best player away, why it would want that player in the facility eight hours a day for the next 10 days while continuing to explore options to deal him. Really? And while he is doing well in Arizona and on a good program that team doctors haven't expressed any concern about to the best of my knowledge.

I'd tweak the contract language to mandate, say, attendance at 60 percent of the offseason program knowing full well Revis isn't going to skip out -- he wants the $3 million, and obviously holding out now coming off an ACL repair doesn't make sense -- and give him the wiggle room to stay away until after the draft. Then have the big (phony) Kumbaya press conference April 29 if a trade hasn't been made and Revis reports then.

(The media blew everything out of proportion. We never had any intention of dealing him. There were only preliminary talks. We never initiated anything, we only listened. We love Darrelle. We hope he's a Jet for life. You know, that press conference).

Trust me, Revis knows what's been going on, and, on the odd chance he is part of Gang Green in 2013, this next episode about to begin next week isn't going to make him feel any better about it. Both sides knew what the deal was back in 2010 when they concocted this contract to end his holdout and create a Hard Knocks ratings bonanza. They knew if they couldn't get a new deal done before the 2013 season, then, with the Jets sacrificing the ability to franchise him, things could get weird. And they have. And, again, Idzik is just walking into this mess, and I believe he will prove to be a steady hand to help lead them from the abyss.

I'd reconsider this particular stance, however, between now and whenever Revis is set to board that plane to New York. Let him be, just as he kept a low profile a few weeks back when the ownership meetings were in Phoenix.

Let this play out between now and the draft, and avoid further fanning a combustible situation for a fan base that has been through enough angst and drama already.
    The way these "reporters", "journalists" get there stories are from Agency sources. The agents give them information in return for stories like this one above. It sheds a negative light on the Jets and makes Revis look like he's all about the team and that he hasn't said one word this off-season negatively about the Jets (except for that NFL Network interview of course ). The only sources anybody has on this Revis deal are either from the Bucs or Revis yet they are going to try to paint the picture that Idzik is creating this mess. I really hope the Jets give the reporters the bare minimum of access to the team that they are required to give. These NY hacks have been spoiled the last 4 years, it's time to shove it up there a*s.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The way these "reporters", "journalists" get there stories are from Agency sources. The agents give them information in return for stories like this one above. It sheds a negative light on the Jets and makes Revis look like he's all about the team and that he hasn't said one word this off-season negatively about the Jets (except for that NFL Network interview of course ). The only sources anybody has on this Revis deal are either from the Bucs or Revis yet they are going to try to paint the picture that Idzik is creating this mess. I really hope the Jets give the reporters the bare minimum of access to the team that they are required to give. These NY hacks have been spoiled the last 4 years, it's time to shove it up there a*s.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. These reporters have an exaggerated sense of their worth. Who the hell cares about what type of media circus happens - it's these hacks that create it all. They're the ringmasters, not the Jets.

Had it been Tannenbaum, the deal would have been done for one draft choice, possibly the 13th pick, or next year's #1. Idzik appears to be patient with his choices, and I don't believe he's going to settle.

Both teams realize Revis' value. Anything less than what the Vikings got for Percy Harvin is probably not going to happen. The Jets (and Bucs) will both be fine after this trade, but Revis' camp and the media both can't wait for it to be done.

All Pro
    All that's missing is for these reporters to start wearing their 'Free Revis' tee-shirts. God these guys add no value to society in any way. Basically these hack journalists are saying the Jets are bad people for making Revis subject himself to....wait for it....themselves. Meanwhile they take no responsibility for their own assinine behavior. Marvelous irony.

And who exactly is supposed to feel sorry for Revis? Other than his agents and uncle Sean?

I'm starting to think Bellichick has it right. How messed up is that?

The Bucs have absolutely zero starters at CB and every #1 or #2 CB has signed already with them getting none of them. When that happened the Jets leverage in a trade with TB boomed. And if he is healthy and back to normal you can bet that there will be 5-10 teams attempting to sign him if he hits FA. In the NFL the best player at any position rarely hits the open market so there will be a bidding war and it will cost probably around $14-$16 million to sign him and other teams besides the Bucs will offer that. And honestly the Bucs aren't some great destination team so if all things are equal money wise they won't get him. So that's why they would like to secure a deal now so that they don't have to get into a bidding war next year.
    So why does revis sign long term when he can get so much more in 2014?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Had it been Tannenbaum, the deal would have been done for one draft choice, possibly the 13th pick, or next year's #1. Idzik appears to be patient with his choices, and I don't believe he's going to settle.

Both teams realize Revis' value. Anything less than what the Vikings got for Percy Harvin is probably not going to happen. The Jets (and Bucs) will both be fine after this trade, but Revis' camp and the media both can't wait for it to be done.
    if they don't take good compensation in an attempt for great compensation, and Tampa says go screw, then that screws us. woody doesn't want to pay revis and its obvious no other team then Tampa wants to pay him either. so if we don't take the 1st, 3rd and 6th that their offering, Revis doesn't resign, then we're left looking like jackasses for not getting anything for the best player to wear a jets uniform. that's a debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    So why does revis sign long term when he can get so much more in 2014?
    Because his ego won't let him play for his planned $6 million this year and because if he's not completely healed and it shows on the field, he'd be screwed next year (whereas this year, everyone is at least imagining that he will be his usual self).

If the reports are true and the Bucs are willing to pay what he wants immediately, it won't matter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    All that's missing is for these reporters to start wearing their 'Free Revis' tee-shirts. God these guys add no value to society in any way. Basically these hack journalists are saying the Jets are bad people for making Revis subject himself to....wait for it....themselves. Meanwhile they take no responsibility for their own assinine behavior. Marvelous irony.

And who exactly is supposed to feel sorry for Revis? Other than his agents and uncle Sean?

I wonder how much money Revis has in his account(s)? Is the almighty dollar really the end all/be all to him? There has to be more to his motivation to behave the way he does.

If the Bucs are offering a 1st, 3rd, 6th, and are willing to pay him 16 million/year (or something high), then the Bucs are the ones who are going to take a huge risk. I can understand their reservation to give in to whatever crazy demands the Jets are asking.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Because his ego won't let him play for his planned $6 million this year and because if he's not completely healed and it shows on the field, he'd be screwed next year (whereas this year, everyone is at least imagining that he will be his usual self).

If the reports are true and the Bucs are willing to pay what he wants immediately, it won't matter anyway.
    Exactly. That's why all of the reports are coming from his agents. They are the ones who are trying to push this trade through quickly. They wants Revis' future resolved b/c they need him to get paid prior to the season b/c it is very risky to let him play out the year. I'm sure Revis will gladly accept $2 million less now then what he could get as a FA b/c, like all players, he wants security. One more knee injury cuts his value in half.

That article probably should've had a byline:Jason LaCanfira was speaking exclusively to Feinsod & Schwarz and they have approved of his message

Just for clarity sake

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Feinsod & Schwarz have approved this message
    Lol +1

lol, yeah.

according to the article, the Jets should basically let the media dictate the terms of the Revis trade. sounds like a plan

if the deal is available now, it will be available at draft time. no need to rush things and who knows, maybe another team jumps in the mix then.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Shouldnt take anyone, trade back 5-10 spots and grab an extra 2/3.
    I like this idea. Quantity of picks is more important to this team right now, the draft is deep so rather than replacing 1 star with 1 star, replace him with 3-4 solid players.

I think he is - the NY media is ridiculous and deserves nothing - it goes out of its way to attack this team. They should do the league required minimum and award good behavior of journalist.

Jets Insider VIP
    fortunately this time around there's a new sheriff in town and I don't see Idzik caving to Unca Sean and the firm of Shyster and Shylock this time around as Mr Softie did the last time...

"come on, Darelle, please sign, we'll give you anything because Rex wants you back and I'm more interested in making Rex happy than in doing the right thing for the Jets"

I can't believe how wrong I was when I said that no team would trade a 1st rd pick for Revis before he completed his rehab. But then again Tampa is one of the NFL model franchises.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I can't believe how wrong I was when I said that no team would trade a 1st rd pick for Revis before he completed his rehab. But then again Tampa is one of the NFL model franchises.
    Hey, don't get down on yourself. B/c in your defense, the only reason you're here is to make assinine statements and throw cold water on everything that could possibly be positive for the Jets. So by absurdly saying the Jets wouldn't get a 1st round pick prior to Revis being healthy is just part of your schtick. Most of us have grown to accept that by now so no hard feelings.

Hey, don't get down on yourself. B/c in your defense, the only reason you're here is to make assinine statements and throw cold water on everything that could possibly be positive for the Jets. So by absurdly saying the Jets wouldn't get a 1st round pick prior to Revis being healthy is just part of your schtick. Most of us have grown to accept that by now so no hard feelings.
    Assinne comments? please find one. I am pragmatic. I loved the Barnes and Garrard signing, liked the Goodson and the Colon ones less.