Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 254

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

  1. #101
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @BrianCoz: Tampa Bay Times reports Bucs have a loose deadline of about a week before the draft to get a trade done for Revis
    Just cough it up Tampa Bay. As exciting as this is (for the future), still kinda bummed we'll be losing our best player and one of the best to ever play his position. It was actually fun to watch a CB shut down these WR's.

  2. #102
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I can't wait for is all of the people currently blasting Revis will be talking about him like he's a God once he's no longer a Jet.

    Same as some fake fans around here.

    Revis as a Jet - Injured guy who is overrated

    Revis as anything else - God, only Deion challenges him for being the best ever

  3. #103
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah_Rah_19 View Post
    A this point we have no idea what is true anymore. Both teams are probably leaking bs to the media. At the end of the day if this is actually true Idzik is overplaying his hand. Why risk getting nothing for Revis (other than a compensatory pick) when we could get a top 15 pick this year. The more we push the more likely someone in the Tampa FO grows a brain and realizes we have 0 leverage as Revis is going to walk after this year and they could sign him for no picks at all.

    The only reason you give up picks for a player about to hit FA is because you think the move can put you over the top (with TB this is laughable) or because you want to guarantee you can claim the player's services which seems absurd given that no team is going to pony up the kind of money TB is supposedly offering Revis. I have no idea what their GM is thinking.
    The Bucs have absolutely zero starters at CB and every #1 or #2 CB has signed already with them getting none of them. When that happened the Jets leverage in a trade with TB boomed. And if he is healthy and back to normal you can bet that there will be 5-10 teams attempting to sign him if he hits FA. In the NFL the best player at any position rarely hits the open market so there will be a bidding war and it will cost probably around $14-$16 million to sign him and other teams besides the Bucs will offer that. And honestly the Bucs aren't some great destination team so if all things are equal money wise they won't get him. So that's why they would like to secure a deal now so that they don't have to get into a bidding war next year.

  4. #104
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    What I can't wait for is all of the people currently blasting Revis will be talking about him like he's a God once he's no longer a Jet.

    Same as some fake fans around here.

    Revis as a Jet - Injured guy who is overrated

    Revis as anything else - God, only Deion challenges him for being the best ever
    This post may possibly need a little refinement, due to the fact i cant understand any of it past the first sentence.

  5. #105
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The Bucs have absolutely zero starters at CB and every #1 or #2 CB has signed already with them getting none of them. When that happened the Jets leverage in a trade with TB boomed. And if he is healthy and back to normal you can bet that there will be 5-10 teams attempting to sign him if he hits FA. In the NFL the best player at any position rarely hits the open market so there will be a bidding war and it will cost probably around $14-$16 million to sign him and other teams besides the Bucs will offer that. And honestly the Bucs aren't some great destination team so if all things are equal money wise they won't get him. So that's why they would like to secure a deal now so that they don't have to get into a bidding war next year.
    Hmmm. I respect your opinion, but i disagree. No way Mevis is going to command more than 10 mil per guaranteed over the next 3. Best CB? YEs, but not in the 15 mil per range.

  6. #106
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    And if he is healthy and back to normal you can bet that there will be 5-10 teams attempting to sign him if he hits FA. In the NFL the best player at any position rarely hits the open market so there will be a bidding war and it will cost probably around $14-$16 million to sign him and other teams besides the Bucs will offer that.
    See this is where I disagree. Who else has the need and 15 million a year to spend on a CB next offseason? Consider the the fact that the Bucs are the ONLY team we have heard about trying to trade for Revis. IMO if they are actually willing to pay him 15 a year (which given the contracts signed this offseason is pretty dam steep) they could get him easily next offseason.

  7. #107
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...ets-no-13-pick


    Citing multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, Profootballtalk.com reports the Bucs are indeed willing to trade the Jets the No. 13 overall pick in exchange for Darrelle Revis.
    To this point, the trade hangup was believed to be Bucs GM Mark Dominik's unwillingness to surrender pick No. 13. That's no longer the case. Tampa Bay appears to have placed the 13th pick on the table, but Jets GM John Idzik "wants a lot more," per PFT's sources. Yahoo's Jason Cole reported late Sunday that Dominik has offered the Jets first-, third-, and sixth-round picks for Revis and is open to paying him upwards of $16 million annually. This trade is clearly heating up as both sides continue to posture through the media.
    I didn't see that reported.

  8. #108
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do end up with TB's 1st this year, I can honestly say I pity the guy they take with that pick. Because he will eternally be compared to Revis. And there's a very slim chance that any guy we pick will turn out as good at his position as Revis is / was at his.

    "We gave up the best CB in football to pick THIS guy?".


  9. #109
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If we do end up with TB's 1st this year, I can honestly say I pity the guy they take with that pick. Because he will eternally be compared to Revis. And there's a very slim chance that any guy we pick will turn out as good at his position as Revis is / was at his.

    "We gave up the best CB in football to pick THIS guy?".

    Maybe if we picked another CB, but that's not happening. Whoever they pick won't be compared. It'd be more about how the secondary performs without Revis, not the draft picks.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If we do end up with TB's 1st this year, I can honestly say I pity the guy they take with that pick. Because he will eternally be compared to Revis. And there's a very slim chance that any guy we pick will turn out as good at his position as Revis is / was at his.

    "We gave up the best CB in football to pick THIS guy?".

    Except it should be, ''we gave up ONE YEAR of Revis for this guy!''.

    What you SHOULD be worried about is your GM blowing the deal that is reportedly on the table. He should take it and run. No one's going to do better and he's risking coming away with nothing.

  11. #111
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,671
    Post Thanks / Like
    @NFL_ATL: Considering the offer reportedly on the table, a Bucs-Revis trade sounds inevitable http://t.co/nkut4UOsDM

    The Tampa Bay Buccaneers want Darrelle Revis badly. The more information that gets leaked out, the clearer that picture becomes.

    The latest: NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the Buccaneers are willing to send the No. 13 overall pick in this year's NFL draft for Revis, but the Jets want more. ProFootballTalk first reported the story. This follows a report from Yahoo! Sports that the Buccaneers are willing to spend first-, third- and sixth-round picks for Revis. (Not to mention a hefty long-term deal for Revis.)

    Previously, it was believed the Buccaneers were attempting to acquire Revis by only giving up 2014 draft picks. Of course, this is the time of year for misinformation and conflicting information. Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reported Monday that that Bucs aren't sure about giving up the No. 13 pick. The team reportedly has a loose "self-imposed deadline" of about a week before the draft to complete a deal for Revis.

    Here's what we think is happening: The Buccaneers and Revis' representatives are getting frustrated with the pace of trade negotiations. They are trying to pressure the Jets into pulling the trigger through the media. Both the Bucs and the agents want a deal to be completed and don't mind giving information out, but the Jets don't seem to be in any hurry. And why should the Jets hurry?

    From the sound of it, the Buccaneers' offer for Revis keeps getting better. The draft still is weeks away. The Bucs' reported offer is more than fair at this point and there don't seem to be any suitors other than Tampa Bay, so a deal still seems inevitable.

    The Buccaneers and Revis' agents both may be getting frustrated, but it's not like they have a lot of options. No matter how impatient they are.

  12. #112
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    Maybe if we picked another CB, but that's not happening. Whoever they pick won't be compared. It'd be more about how the secondary performs without Revis, not the draft picks.
    I disagree - IMHO whoever we pick will be judged based on the price of picking him.

    Let's say we go Warmack or Cooper - however good they turn out there will still be many that complain we traded a CB for a "friggin' guard".

    Let's say we go for someone like Austin - he might be a good WR, but will he ever be rated Top 10, never mind #1? Again I feel the weight of expectation will overshadow what he achieves.

    Look back at D-Rob - more people were down on him because of the picks we gave up for him. Had we got him at our original slot the expectations would have been a lot less, yet the player would still have been the same.

    I almost feel that if we got a very good safety (maybe Vacarro) it might actually soften the blow as he strengthens the same unit that gets weakened if we lose Revis.

  13. #113
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    What you SHOULD be worried about is your GM blowing the deal that is reportedly on the table. He should take it and run. No one's going to do better and he's risking coming away with nothing.
    He's also risking coming away with more - and right now we need all the more we can get. Let's see how it all plays out. No need to grab the deal now, it's not like TB will suddenly change their minds given the interest / need they've shown so far.

    I think Idzik is playing a pretty mean game of poker right now.

  14. #114
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    He's also risking coming away with more - and right now we need all the more we can get. Let's see how it all plays out. No need to grab the deal now, it's not like TB will suddenly change their minds given the interest / need they've shown so far.

    I think Idzik is playing a pretty mean game of poker right now.
    True. Tampa obviously wants this to get done before the draft, the longer Idzik slow plays this the more antsy Tampa gets. When push comes to shove, Tampa will give a little more to make it happen.

    Look at what has reportedly happened so far, Tampa has gone from originally not wanting to give a first round pick at all, to offering a first but in 2014, to now offering the first this year.

  15. #115
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's do this!

    Get it done Rexzik!

  16. #116
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    He's also risking coming away with more - and right now we need all the more we can get. Let's see how it all plays out. No need to grab the deal now, it's not like TB will suddenly change their minds given the interest / need they've shown so far.

    I think Idzik is playing a pretty mean game of poker right now.
    I agree, yes it could fail miserably but this roster is not nearly good enough that we can play it safe. I think if we are serious about a Superbowl rather than an honourable exit in the playoffs ... we have to swing for the fences. It's okay hitting singles if you are Seattle or the 49'ers ... the rest of us have to dream big.

  17. #117
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,067
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If we do end up with TB's 1st this year, I can honestly say I pity the guy they take with that pick. Because he will eternally be compared to Revis. And there's a very slim chance that any guy we pick will turn out as good at his position as Revis is / was at his.

    "We gave up the best CB in football to pick THIS guy?".

    Shouldnt take anyone, trade back 5-10 spots and grab an extra 2/3.

  18. #118
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Johnsburg
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hold out for the '14 number 1 too!

  19. #119
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    2,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Shouldnt take anyone, trade back 5-10 spots and grab an extra 2/3.
    This. I'd like to get the 13th pick and then move back towards the end of the first picking up a second rounder. It would be great if they could get Eddie Lacy.

  20. #120
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    If we do end up with TB's 1st this year, I can honestly say I pity the guy they take with that pick. Because he will eternally be compared to Revis. And there's a very slim chance that any guy we pick will turn out as good at his position as Revis is / was at his.

    "We gave up the best CB in football to pick THIS guy?".

    The fact that this is posted (and probably accurate) shows just how clueless Jets fans are.

    They'll look back fondly on their precious CB who bled green and would've gladly given away his firstborn to stay in Rutherford but was unceremoniously shown the door without a second thought for some scrub guard who didn't make the ESPN highlight reel once over his 15-year career.

    The fact that the Jets probably weren't going to be able to keep Revis after the season anyway, and were lucky to walk away with what they got won't even enter the discussion . . .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us