Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 254

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

  1. #81
    [QUOTE=Redlichtie;4852803][QUOTE=Raider9175;4852794]

    Why would Tampa bay offer that much in a trade when they are the only bidder for Revis services?


    JMO I think all this talk is from Tampabay side. Why? They want D Revis to know what they are willing to pay him and saying Bs what they are willing to trade for him. when this trade falls apart it wasn't them who are responsible but the Jets for being Greedy.
    .[/QUOTE[/B]]


    1) Tampa may not be the only bidder others can join in any time. It happens all the time.

    2) If they wanted Revis to know how much they are willing to pay him they don't need to go through the media. If they wanted to let him know it's pretty easy to get that information to his agent.

  2. #82
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,119
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats not even close to being right. Revis is not making 11 million this year. He is making 6 million. 3 million base salary, 2 million roster bonus and 1 million in workout bonus. Next year he is scheduled to make only 3 million, but will opt out so it is irrelevant.

    Plus, the Jets do not have to PAY Revis next year when he is no longer on the team, it is the cap hit that is accounted for the signing bonus he received when he signed his contract, not a cash expenditure.
    So he's making 9 mil. The signing bonus is real money that he was paid for this year. The 9 mil in 2014 is also real money we paid him to play for those years. You guys didn't consider his salary to be 27mil in 2010.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So he's making 9 mil. The signing bonus is real money that he was paid for this year. The 9 mil in 2014 is also real money we paid him to play for those years. You guys didn't consider his salary to be 27mil in 2010.
    There are two ways to look at it...

    Real money (meaning actually how much NEW money he's putting in his pocket)

    OR

    Ego money (meaning how much money he can claim he's making)

    I'm not really sure which one drives Revis but it's probably a little bit of both..

  4. #84
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    and the media blitz on the latest tid-bit shall commence:

    Source: Yahoo Sports Apr 7 - 11:39 PM

    Three sources tell Yahoo's Jason Cole the Buccaneers are "growing impatient" with Darrelle Revis trade talks.

    Both sides seem to be using the media to put pressure on one another. There's no reason for true impatience with the draft over two weeks away. Cole does pass along two interesting notes: 1. Thus far, the Bucs are Revis' only "serious bidder." The Jets would love to get another team involved to drive up Revis' price. 2. The Bucs are willing to trade first-, third-, and sixth-round picks for Revis, as well as sign him to a long-term deal worth upwards of $16 million a year. Still, the sides seem to be merely posturing. Expect a trade by the draft's first day (April 25).
    Key thing is .. when would we actually see those picks??? This year, next year, 2015??

    Last rumour I heard was we were offered next year's #1 and #2, so if this is now next year's #1, #3 and #6 that's a worse offer.

  5. #85
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So he's making 9 mil. The signing bonus is real money that he was paid for this year. The 9 mil in 2014 is also real money we paid him to play for those years. You guys didn't consider his salary to be 27mil in 2010.
    Signing bonuses are only pro-rated for cap purposes - Revis got that money the day he signed the contract (long time ago now). Hence the term "signing bonus". It's not part of his current recompense, he is not being paid it specifically for playing this year.

    Salary vs. cap numbers are two different things. What his salary is does not affect you, me, or the rest of the Jet players. His cap number does, as it affects who else we can sign.

  6. #86
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Signing bonuses are only pro-rated for cap purposes - Revis got that money the day he signed the contract (long time ago now). Hence the term "signing bonus". It's not part of his current recompense, he is not being paid it specifically for playing this year.

    Salary vs. cap numbers are two different things. What his salary is does not affect you, me, or the rest of the Jet players. His cap number does, as it affects who else we can sign.
    You sure wouldn't give a guy a 20mil signing bonus on a 1 year contract now would you? Why not?

  7. #87
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No one cares about the past(what tanny should have done and didn't do) with Revis as Jets have a new FO.( their new sheriff in town) My point was simple Revis has most of the cards in his favor. I see alot of Jet fans think Revis is going to panic and sign at a reasonable rate. (fearing injury)

    The Jets front office might have changed by D Revis hasn't. This guy isn't signing for one penny less than he thinks he worth. Even if he has to wait till 2014 to get his money, you better believe he going to wait.

    You don't get to Revis level without totally believing in your self. JMO like Joe Flacco, R Clady and countless other players that risked it all and are laughing all the way to the bank this year.

    Revis despite the flat cap is going to sign a very very very large contract in 2014 if he waits till he unrestricted Fa.
    We agree on Revis's level and very little else. You can't compare Revis to the Flaccos of this world as Revis has been paid at the top of the market for years unlike Flacco. Revis has held out twice, Flacco would never do that.

    Revis does hold the cards but not all of them. If you think he is content to wait out until 2014, to sign a contract, I believe you are wrong. The Revis philosophy is "leverage what you can when you can".

    In truth, no one knows what will happen until the draft. Mine is a guess just like everyone else ... He will speak through his agents through various writers to express his displeasure. That's all he can do this year to put pressure on a team, any team to cough up dollars now. He knows he may not be healthy next year so now, right now is the time to squeeze more dollars. Next year, if his knee is good, will he once again the time to hold out.

    I expect that Revis will sign an extension for 12 million a year this year, but will not sign an extension with a holdout clause like he did originally. If the market for corner backs improves next year and he is healthy, he will hold out for a contract in the 15 a year range.

  8. #88
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,747
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    So he's making 9 mil. The signing bonus is real money that he was paid for this year. The 9 mil in 2014 is also real money we paid him to play for those years. You guys didn't consider his salary to be 27mil in 2010.
    It depends on if you are talking about cash expenditures or cap numbers. If you are talking actual money paid then yes, his salary was 27 million in 2010. You were taking cap dollars and adding them to cash expenditures and saying that is what Revis is making this year, and then said that the Jets owe Revis money next year even if he is gone, when that is simply wrong. Plus, if Revis is traded before June 1, there is not even a cap hit in 2014, it all hits this year so there is no future effect on cash or cap.

  9. #89
    NFL Network on Sirius said the offer is 1 NEXT year, 3 and 6 this year which seems about the same as 1st and 2nd next year maybe a little better.

    If this report is true we may wind up with something like 1 next year, 2nd and 4th this year with maybe use giving Tampa back a sixth. To me this shows that negotiations are ongoing. I have to also believe that Rex is losing his mind and doing everything he can to hinder it.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    We agree on Revis's level and very little else. You can't compare Revis to the Flaccos of this world as Revis has been paid at the top of the market for years unlike Flacco. Revis has held out twice, Flacco would never do that.

    Revis does hold the cards but not all of them. If you think he is content to wait out until 2014, to sign a contract, I believe you are wrong. The Revis philosophy is "leverage what you can when you can".

    In truth, no one knows what will happen until the draft. Mine is a guess just like everyone else ... He will speak through his agents through various writers to express his displeasure. That's all he can do this year to put pressure on a team, any team to cough up dollars now. He knows he may not be healthy next year so now, right now is the time to squeeze more dollars. Next year, if his knee is good, will he once again the time to hold out.

    I expect that Revis will sign an extension for 12 million a year this year, but will not sign an extension with a holdout clause like he did originally. If the market for corner backs improves next year and he is healthy, he will hold out for a contract in the 15 a year range.
    Here The deal Raiders are looking at having 70 million dollars in cap space next year. They have to spend 89 % of the cap and there might not be that many top Fa on the market. So a guy like Revis they might have to throw some big money at him. So he might just get his money after all. J Clowney with D Revis isn't a bad way to start rebuilding your defense.

  11. #91
    [QUOTE=fidelioion;4852816][QUOTE=Redlichtie;4852803]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post

    Why would Tampa bay offer that much in a trade when they are the only bidder for Revis services?


    JMO I think all this talk is from Tampabay side. Why? They want D Revis to know what they are willing to pay him and saying Bs what they are willing to trade for him. when this trade falls apart it wasn't them who are responsible but the Jets for being Greedy.
    .[/QUOTE[/B]]


    1) Tampa may not be the only bidder others can join in any time. It happens all the time.

    2) If they wanted Revis to know how much they are willing to pay him they don't need to go through the media. If they wanted to let him know it's pretty easy to get that information to his agent.
    Who has the cap room to fit Revis in this year and long term. The top teams have so much cheap young players on them now but eventually it going to be very expensive to keep them. Signing Revis just makes the likelihood of losing a lot more of those young players.
    There isn't much a market for D Revis as teams don't want to pay the price to acquire him and the price to sign him to a monster contract. They will be more willing to wait till 2014 when all they have to do is sign him.


    The reason they want to go through the media is D Revis agent might know how much the buccaneers are willing to pay him but they want to give the perception that the jets aren't be reasonable.( explain why this trade fell apart and how jets new GM has to explain to his fans why they didn't take what the Buccanears offered. He leaves for nothing in 2014 And you don't think jets fans will be all over the new GM for not taking this BS deal .

    This deal falls apart Tampa Bay fans will say good for our Fo the Jets weren't being reasonable. Tampa Bay gets their man in Fa in 2014 without having to give up a single pick. Tampa bay isn't winning anything with D Revis this year. Add more pieces in the draft in 2013 and than get the last piece D Revis and you don't have to give up a single pick.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-08-2013 at 03:05 PM.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Here The deal Raiders are looking at having 70 million dollars in cap space next year. They have to spend 89 % of the cap and there might not be that many top Fa on the market. So a guy like Revis they might have to throw some big money at him. So he might just get his money after all. J Clowney with D Revis isn't a bad way to start rebuilding your defense.
    Have you learnt nothing in Raider-land?...throwing stupid money at past their prime players with injury issues is exactly how you got into cap hell in the first place

  13. #93
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,747
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Bucs are willing to give up a 2013 first-round pick for Revis, but the Jets want a lot more http://wp.me/p14QSB-87kX



    Hold your ground Idzik, they are getting desperate!!!

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Bucs are willing to give up a 2013 first-round pick for Revis, but the Jets want a lot more http://wp.me/p14QSB-87kX



    Hold your ground Idzik, they are getting desperate!!!
    Lots of smoke today, seems like it might get done soon. Probably two picks if we get this years one.

  15. #95
    @NFLSTROUD: Bucs told any trade for Revis MUST include 13th overall pick in 2013. GM Dominik indecisive but still intrigued. http://t.co/cSZON9JHig

    Any trade of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay must include no less than the Bucs’ first-round pick in the NFL draft April 25, the team’s front office has been informed.

    The Bucs remain greatly focused on acquiring one of the league’s premier defensive players. In fact, the only thing holding up the trade for Revis is that general manager Mark Dominik still is weighing whether to part with the 13th overall selection in 2013.

    At minimum, that would give the Jets the ninth and 13th picks overall this year.

    The Bucs had hoped the Jets would consider a first-round pick in 2014 as part of the compensation for Revis but have been emphatically told that is not an option.

    Tampa Bay is willing to pay Revis about $15-million per year, but the Dominik has not received permission to speak with the agents for the Jets star.

    Because Revis is recovering from a torn ACL, the Bucs do not believe it is a trade that can be made on the clock because they would require him to be examined by multiple team doctors. Therefore, the Bucs have a loosely, self-imposed deadline of about a week before the draft to complete a trade for Revis, the Times has learned.

    The Bucs believe they are the only team actively pursuing Revis, who would greatly improve the league’s worst pass defensive in 2012. Tampa Bay, which is about $27-million under the salary cap, has told agents for available cornerbacks that they are waiting to see whether they can strike a deal for Revis.

    The fragile talks between the two teams will enter a new phase next week when Revis is expected to report to the Jets’ training facility for off-season workouts in order to collect $3-million in scheduled bonuses, according to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York.

    Revis reportedly would prefer to rehabilitate his knee at a training facility in Arizona until he knows where he will be playing next season.

    The Bucs suspect the compensation for Revis would exceed the 13th overall pick, but Jets general manager John Idzik has only focused on getting a first-round choice in 2013.

    The Jets can’t franchise Revis if he reaches free agency at the end of the 2013 season. So if Idzik is unable to strike a deal with the Bucs or another team, he must either deal him by the Oct. deadline or sign him to a long-term deal before the end of the season. Otherwise, the Jets could lose Revis as an unrestricted free agent in 2014 with only a compensatory draft pick to show for it.

    
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-08-2013 at 04:46 PM.

  16. #96
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,549
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You sure wouldn't give a guy a 20mil signing bonus on a 1 year contract now would you? Why not?
    That's pretty much what a franchise tag on a QB would be, so yes you could effectively give a guy a 1 year $20m deal.

    The signing bonus is an incentive to get the guy to sign the deal. It is not salary, hence why it's called a bonus. The longer the deal you want someone to sign, the bigger the bonus needs to be.

    Put it another way - if we cut / trade Revis now, do we get any of that remaining bonus money back?

  17. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Bucs are willing to give up a 2013 first-round pick for Revis, but the Jets want a lot more http://wp.me/p14QSB-87kX



    Hold your ground Idzik, they are getting desperate!!!
    Reportedly they went from a 3rd and 5th to now including the 13th overall pick in this years draft in a month, whats another 3 weeks going to bring us?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk
    Bucs are willing to give up a 2013 first-round pick for Revis, but the Jets want a lot more http://wp.me/p14QSB-87kX



    Hold your ground Idzik, they are getting desperate!!!
    A this point we have no idea what is true anymore. Both teams are probably leaking bs to the media. At the end of the day if this is actually true Idzik is overplaying his hand. Why risk getting nothing for Revis (other than a compensatory pick) when we could get a top 15 pick this year. The more we push the more likely someone in the Tampa FO grows a brain and realizes we have 0 leverage as Revis is going to walk after this year and they could sign him for no picks at all.

    The only reason you give up picks for a player about to hit FA is because you think the move can put you over the top (with TB this is laughable) or because you want to guarantee you can claim the player's services which seems absurd given that no team is going to pony up the kind of money TB is supposedly offering Revis. I have no idea what their GM is thinking.

  19. #99
    @BrianCoz: Tampa Bay Times reports Bucs have a loose deadline of about a week before the draft to get a trade done for Revis

  20. #100
    At this point if this trade doesn't go down it'll be a bigger upset than the Jets winning SB III.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us