Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    I don't think so...Revis wants the Holy Grail and thats unrestrictive free agency...Jets don't have an insider price... best thing possible is give him his money...their cap is fine next year...
    i'll agree to disagree with you

i do think so

revis is going to get paid top $$$ for cb whether he's renewing an existing contract or an unrestricted FA

his problem is that # is suddenly looking a lot more like 8,9,10 mil verses the 14,15,16 mil per season that he was expecting

i did not say , nor infer, nor believe that the jets will get an insider price

best thing possible is to have the GM be fiscally responsible with the cap at this time and make well thought out, sound decisions ... i've been very impressed with Idzik's moves & lack of moves so far ... his tight lips & tight ship cause all of us stress wanting everything to work out ... but it also is forcing other teams & players to not know exactly what's in our hand, pocket, or up our sleeve when we sit down at the poker final table

ljr

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post

i do think so

revis is going to get paid top $$$ for cb whether he's renewing an existing contract or an unrestricted FA

his problem is that # is suddenly looking a lot more like 8,9,10 mil verses the 14,15,16 mil per season that he was expecting

best thing possible is to have the GM be fiscally responsible with the cap at this time and make well thought out, sound decisions ... i've been very impressed with Idzik's moves & lack of moves so far ... his tight lips & tight ship cause all of us stress wanting everything to work out ... but it also is forcing other teams & players to not know exactly what's in our hand, pocket, or up our sleeve when we sit down at the poker final table

ljr
    didn't think you were inferring about insider price...if Revis comes back jets should give him his price...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

i do think so

ljr
    Excellent post...exactly correct.

Revis and his agents would be foolish not to recognize that at this point the market for CB's has tanked...big time. And, Revis is coming off a potentially significant injury AND really has NO leverage to re-negotiate his deal at this point UNLESS the NYJ either decide to do it themselves for their own long term interest or trade him.

So, if the NYJ or another team that he might be traded to offers him $20 mill guaranteed on a 5 yr deal, Revis would be hard pressed to just dismiss it out of hand. That contract would still make him the highest paid CB in the league. To dismiss that deal, Revis would be assuming a certain amount of risk..namely that:

a. The market for CB's doesn't deteriorate further (hell, you need 3 good ones to make a difference and paying 1 double market value don't help in a cap strapped league).

b. That he comes back just as effective a player, and

c. That he doesn't suffer another injury next year before hitting a FA market where the deal he is offered might not be substantially different from the one he turned down.

Believe me, Revis wants a new deal now, and rightly so...a new deal now abrogates a lot of risk on his part for the upcoming season..and guaranteed money now is worth more than 'potential' money later.

This is why I'd offer Revis a deal that keeps him the highest paid CB, like $8 mill/per with half guaranteed over 5 yrs..but I would not cap f*ck myself now either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4852270]... the problem with this line of thinking is Revis is all about $$$ and $$$ now ...

he is scheduled to make about $6 million or so more for 2013

he WILL NOT play 2013 for that in hopes of making more $$$ in 2014.

instead revis will look to work out the best possible deal to make as much new $$$ in 2013 as possible ... whether that's renewing with the NYJ, with the Bucs, or with a mystery team

the jets & other front offices have other things involved in their efforts .... revis's camp has 1 thing ... max $$$ beginning in 2013

Well he will have to if he wants to maximize his value. When he signed this deal he knew he would have to play for this amount to become free and hit it big in 2014. The top FA players are still going to get paid. His 15mill Plus may be out the window but what if Tampa only offers 9 mill over 5 years with 15 guaranteed because they are the only suitor and why bid against yourself.
    It does not cost Tampa a dime to try to get him at their price, they were most likely not going to compete for the remaining wild card this year with Seattle/SF "assured" of one spot.

Revis may want to have the money up front, (who doesn't) but this is a guy who always went for the max.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwave81 View Post

Revis and his agents would be foolish not to recognize that at this point the market for CB's has tanked...big time. And, Revis is coming off a potentially significant injury AND really has NO leverage to re-negotiate his deal at this point UNLESS the NYJ either decide to do it themselves for their own long term interest or trade him.

So, if the NYJ or another team that he might be traded to offers him $20 mill guaranteed on a 5 yr deal, Revis would be hard pressed to just dismiss it out of hand. That contract would still make him the highest paid CB in the league. To dismiss that deal, Revis would be assuming a certain amount of risk..namely that:

a. The market for CB's doesn't deteriorate further (hell, you need 3 good ones to make a difference and paying 1 double market value don't help in a cap strapped league).

c. That he doesn't suffer another injury next year before hitting a FA market where the deal he is offered might not be substantially different from the one he turned down.

Believe me, Revis wants a new deal now, and rightly so...a new deal now abrogates a lot of risk on his part for the upcoming season..and guaranteed money now is worth more than 'potential' money later.

This is why I'd offer Revis a deal that keeps him the highest paid CB, like $8 mill/per with half guaranteed over 5 yrs..but I would not cap f*ck myself now either.
    There was not one FA corner who was a top 10 corner that was a FA last year besides Grimes and he is coming off an achillies injury. Talib was the closest but being in the drug program and personal issues restricted him more than his talent level deserved.

8 mill is 2.5mill less than what Carr is making, it is also less than Joseph. if the jets offer that deal he will take it as an insult and just make things cantankerous.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post.

The key issue here is injury. That's a big risk for Revis to take to play out the season without along term contract. Even if he's very confident about his ability to play well this year, any injury will place the "injury prone" tag on him and he might be looking at a 1 year 4mm offer next year. I doubt it's a risk he wan to take. 5 years 40 (guarantee it all) and I think you can keep him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it takes some real talent for a player this good to make himself so unlikeable.

but Revis is very talented.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    There was not one FA corner who was a top 10 corner that was a FA last year besides Grimes and he is coming off an achillies injury. Talib was the closest but being in the drug program and personal issues restricted him more than his talent level deserved.

8 mill is 2.5mill less than what Carr is making, it is also less than Joseph. if the jets offer that deal he will take it as an insult and just make things cantankerous.
    True, while the CB market took a serious devaluation this year, the price for Revis will still be in excess of 11.5 million APY IMO. So people need to stop with this "go sign Revis for 8 million a year" stuff, its never going to happen. Take the highest paid CB, add 20%, and that is probably the number you are looking at for Revis.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 04-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4852412]
    ... the problem with this line of thinking is Revis is all about $$$ and $$$ now ...

instead revis will look to work out the best possible deal to make as much new $$$ in 2013 as possible ... whether that's renewing with the NYJ, with the Bucs, or with a mystery team

the jets & other front offices have other things involved in their efforts .... revis's camp has 1 thing ... max $$$ beginning in 2013

Well he will have to if he wants to maximize his value. When he signed this deal he knew he would have to play for this amount to become free and hit it big in 2014. The top FA players are still going to get paid. His 15mill Plus may be out the window but what if Tampa only offers 9 mill over 5 years with 15 guaranteed because they are the only suitor and why bid against yourself.
    It does not cost Tampa a dime to try to get him at their price, they were most likely not going to compete for the remaining wild card this year with Seattle/SF "assured" of one spot.

Revis may want to have the money up front, (who doesn't) but this is a guy who always went for the max.
    Revis and his agents want to get paid before he steps onto the field this year first and foremost. And I really don't think it matters what team it is. He won't accept a pay cut. But I do think he would accept a modest raise over his last contract. Over the life of the contract he's on now he's averaged $11.5 million per year (4 yrs $46 million) and I think he would be willing to accept $12.5 per year (5 yrs $62.5), would be highest paid CB, b/c of the fact of the uncertainty of a re-occurrence of the knee injury he suffered last year. He wants security and that's why his agents are spreading rumors and lies trying to either get the Jets to negotiate a contract or trade him so he can get a contract from someone else. The only thing a $9 million per year offer from the Bucs will do is help the Jets get Revis to sign a reasonable contract offer from them. I think that you and others are underestimating the pressure on Revis' agents to secure a contract prior to the season. I think the Jets know this and that is their leverage in this situation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

A 5 year 20 million dollar guarantee does not make him the highest paid CB in the league, not sure how you got that.

Carr currently has 25.5 guaranteed in his deal, Finnegan has 24 mil guaranteed, Joseph has 23.5 mil guaranteed. Revis will command a 20% PREMIUM over those guys, not a 20% DISCOUNT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, while the CB market took a serious devaluation this year, the price for Revis will still be in excess of 11.5 million APY IMO. So people need to stop with this "go sign Revis for 8 million a year" stuff, its never going to happen. Take the highest paid CB, add 20%, and that is probably the number you are looking at for Revis.
    Fair enough but ...

Let's say he assumes he can 12mm as a free agent 12mm over 4 years - $48 million

If the jets offer him 10mm now - over 4 years - $40 million (Guarantee 30) making him the highest paid in guarantees.

Is $8mm over 4 years worth the risk he's taking by simply walking in the field this year? Any injury of more than a few weeks destroys his value, let alone the question of how the knee holds up.

My sense is he and his team will take the 10mm a year deal from the Jets now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    These things may be true, but since to my knowledge they didn't sign their deals THIS offseason during which the 'new' value of CB's has emerged, I would argue they are largely irrelevant. As is the deal that Mario W got...past contracts might give aiming points for agents in historical context, but the market place is constantly changing...even more so in a league that has a hard cap.

Things in a market place for the most part are worth what people are PRESENTLY willing to pay for them, not what they went for a few yrs ago. Joseph signed like 2 yrs ago (5 yr/$48, $23 M guaranteed) and Carr's deal last yr from Jerry J was stupid and Dallas has already restructured the deal..and I don't think it had enormous guarantees.

Things change..and successful franchises in a capped league anticipate market forces and adapt. If you overpay for ANY asset, especially one that the market devalues, you are less able to pay the going rate for what the market deems most important..making it hard to both retain your own assets when they reach FA, and sign FA's that you might want/need.

This isn't, or shouldn't be, rocket science for the NYJ...all they have to do is come to an agreement as to what Revis is worth to the NYJ going forward and try to sign him within that framework..emotion and attachment need to be put aside (and this is probably more a problem for fans than the team) If Revis isn't interested, then there are only 2 choices going forward. 1. Look to trade him or 2. retain him for a yr, see how the market falls out next off season, and make an offer to him if they want. If someone offers you in trade assets that the NYJ feel are worth more to them than 1 yr of Revis on the field and a slim chance of eventually resigning him or the compensatory pick, then you trade him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... the problem with this line of thinking is Revis is all about $$$ and $$$ now ...

ljr
    The 6 mil is his base salary. He's making around 11mil this year, plus we have to pay him 9mil next year when he's no longer on the team. You guys and your reasonable Revis really need to check your facts. He's not signing with the Jets unless he gets 15mil per at least.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Great post.

The key issue here is injury. That's a big risk for Revis to take to play out the season without along term contract. Even if he's very confident about his ability to play well this year, any injury will place the "injury prone" tag on him and he might be looking at a 1 year 4mm offer next year. I doubt it's a risk he wan to take. 5 years 40 (guarantee it all) and I think you can keep him.
    Guarantees in the NFL is a huge risk for a team. I hate them..they should be used as needed, but with caution..and fully guaranteeing a deal removes all flexibility for a team in future dealings with the player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough but ...

Let's say he assumes he can 12mm as a free agent 12mm over 4 years - $48 million

If the jets offer him 10mm now - over 4 years - $40 million (Guarantee 30) making him the highest paid in guarantees.

Is $8mm over 4 years worth the risk he's taking by simply walking in the field this year? Any injury of more than a few weeks destroys his value, let alone the question of how the knee holds up.

And, this is the leverage that the Jets have NOW, but will not have LATER...excellently stated. I tried to say as much earlier but failed LOL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The 6 mil is his base salary. He's making around 11mil this year, plus we have to pay him 9mil next year when he's no longer on the team. You guys and your reasonable Revis really need to check your facts. He's not signing with the Jets unless he gets 15mil per at least.
    Also what the Market for CB this year doesn't mean that will the case in 2014. Some teams will have close to 70 million in Cap space in 2014. There aren't that many top Fa that become available (teams don't franchise) that you can see a Team making him the one big Fa they sign. Especially when they aren't paying a Qb franchise money. Anyone thinks Revis is going to be content making 12 million per year is fooling them self.

See C woodson Raiders hit him for the franchise tag the second year. He got hurt early and was lost for the season. Despite him coming off of an injury,(missing a season) the packers threw how much money at him as unrestricted Fa. Someo0ne will pay Revis price in 2014.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-07-2013 at 10:48 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cornerbacks do not sell tickets
    If it's ticket sales they want, we'll throw in Tebow for free!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do they hold all the cards? All they have him is for one year and no team will trade for him if he does not want to go there. The jets most likely wont even get a comp pick as they will be signing more FA than losing next year.

"If he does not want to go there"? Since when do teams ask a player if he wants to go to a team? Obviously he can refuse an offer - but that's about it, and it's not as if teams are falling over themselves giving him multiple offers. If the Jets find someone to trade him to, what say does he have in the matter?
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 04-07-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    "If he does not want to go there"? Since when to teams ask a player if he wants to go to a team? Obviously he can refuse an offer - but that's about it, and it's not as if teams are falling over themselves giving him multiple offers. If the Jets find someone to trade him to, what say does he have in the matter?
    I wonder if Patman thought Richard Seymour was jumping for joy when they traded him right before the season to the 5-11 Raiders??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough but ...

Agree

Revis has to be acutely aware of the possibility that he's only another niggly hamstring or worse away from being an injury prone 29 year old(when/if he hits free agency)who expects to be the highest paid CB/Defender in the game at a time when the market has collapsed and teams are getting wary of blockbuster deals killing their cap for years.You have to think that is killing him inside.The Tannenbaum band-aid deal may turn out to have been a stroke of genius when it's all said and done.

The leverage here is far from all one way.Of course Revis could bet on himself and win like Landry did but it remains a huge gamble and is likely going to eat away at him more than us the longer this goes unresolved.

Might get interesting if we draft a CB in 3 weeks!