Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Revis 'not optimistic' about Tampa Bay trade

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, first we hear that the Jets push the pause button on trade talks with Tampa, and now Tampa says the price is too high. The clock is ticking regardless.
    fair or not, this revis negotiation is re-defining the jets front office. woody is silent, rex is silent and the gm is silent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    True, first we hear that the Jets push the pause button on trade talks with Tampa, and now Tampa says the price is too high. The clock is ticking regardless.
    The price isn't too high - the price is what it is. This is posturing by Tampa, plain and simple.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it time for us to start bracing for worst case scenario (no trade, no extension)

Before you answer, don't forget, this is the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Is it time for us to start bracing for worst case scenario (no trade, no extension)

The Jets do not have to extend Revis right here and now, nor do they have to trade him right here and now though if they are to trade him this is probably the time to get the optimal price.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still say the deal will be done by Tuesday evening, at the latest...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Schiano has said he is not afraid to start a rookie cornerback and they could be in position to draft one in the first round. Last year, safety Mark Barron, linebacker Lavonte David and running back Doug Martin combined to start 48 games as rookies.

I'm sure Xavier Rhodes will do just as good a job as Revis would covering Julio Jones/Colston/Wallace/S Smith/Fitzgerald/MEgatron etc...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

You in a SOJ frame of mind today?? Although a Potato and some sour cream is a good combo..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a 1st, 3rd, and 5th is the top amount we can get for Revis, I would rather the picks come in 2014. For the simple matter that I believe Idzik will go after a QB in next years draft. Bridgewater comes to mind and they'll likely need ammo to trade up and take him. That doesn't seem to be on the table, but I can hope.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    You in a SOJ frame of mind today?? Although a Potato and some sour cream is a good combo..
    I don't know what I'm thinking. Things allows seem to workout.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good. screw the 13th pick. make revis play out his contract and we can negotiate with him next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Schiano has said he is not afraid to start a rookie cornerback and they could be in position to draft one in the first round. Last year, safety Mark Barron, linebacker Lavonte David and running back Doug Martin combined to start 48 games as rookies.

I'm sure Xavier Rhodes will do just as good a job as Revis would covering Julio Jones/Colston/Wallace/S Smith/Fitzgerald/MEgatron etc...
    Cmon, you know it is Rhodes (1.5mill) and 10mill in Salary cap space. The other 10 mill is used on players to help also.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Cmon, you know it is Rhodes (1.5mill) and 10mill in Salary cap space. The other 10 mill is used on players to help also.
    Like who Antoine Winfield? Woodson? Their massive weakness is at CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Like who Antoine Winfield? Woodson? Their massive weakness is at CB.
    agreed, there is nobody left out there now outside of draft choices that will help them next year. Are you thinking that Tampa is operating in a window that is closing soon? Revis is still a great option, and what are the jets going to do if tampa goes with Rhodes in the first. Where else are the jets going to go Thursday? If Tampa goes Rhodes at 13 are the jets going to refuse to work with Tampa and look for another team that would offer more that what Tampa was going to?

If Tampa offers a 2014 1st and something this year what other team are the jets going to work with?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If a 1st, 3rd, and 5th is the top amount we can get for Revis, I would rather the picks come in 2014. For the simple matter that I believe Idzik will go after a QB in next years draft. Bridgewater comes to mind and they'll likely need ammo to trade up and take him. That doesn't seem to be on the table, but I can hope.
    If Idzik is willing to take all 2014 picks, there is no urgency to get a deal done by next week. Maybe his plan is to put the pressure on now to see if he can get TB to give up good value in this year's draft, and if not, negotiate afterward for picks next year. It would also help sell to the fans why they're getting no immediate return on trading their best player ("we couldn't get a deal done in time for this draft, so we're getting good value for next year").

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    If Idzik is willing to take all 2014 picks, there is no urgency to get a deal done by next week. Maybe his plan is to put the pressure on now to see if he can get TB to give up good value in this year's draft, and if not, negotiate afterward for picks next year. It would also help sell to the fans why they're getting no immediate return on trading their best player ("we couldn't get a deal done in time for this draft, so we're getting good value for next year").
    This is my take too, If he can get the picks this year- great nothing to lose by trying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter Darrelle Revis is "60-40" to get dealt to the Bucs.

Schefter dropped the nugget on ESPN's NFL Live. Both sides are doubling down in their attempts to leverage the other, but the fact remains that New York has no other viable trade partner, and that Tampa desperately wants to land the league's top cornerback. The posturing could last until the start of the draft, but a move makes too much sense not to happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm not convinced on a trade up next year. Which team that finishes with the #1 or #2 pick overall is going to turn down the chance at the top QB prospect for an extra pick or two? It's highly unlikely that any team finishing with that bad a record already has their own QB firmly in place.

I know St Louis traded out last year, but if they end up there again you can bet Bradford is out. And Washington gave up a TON to get RGIII, more than just an extra 1st rounder.

Sadly, the best shot we have at the top pick next year is by "earning" it. And although I'm not expecting a great year by any means, I still don't see us being a 3 win (or fewer) team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    A source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter Darrelle Revis is "60-40" to get dealt to the Bucs.

Schefter dropped the nugget on ESPN's NFL Live. Both sides are doubling down in their attempts to leverage the other, but the fact remains that New York has no other viable trade partner, and that Tampa desperately wants to land the league's top cornerback. The posturing could last until the start of the draft, but a move makes too much sense not to happen.
    Got to love it when "a source" makes up a number that is so open it leaves them able to say "I knew it" whatever happens.

Great "nugget" to drop there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I'm not convinced on a trade up next year. Which team that finishes with the #1 or #2 pick overall is going to turn down the chance at the top QB prospect for an extra pick or two? It's highly unlikely that any team finishing with that bad a record already has their own QB firmly in place.

I know St Louis traded out last year, but if they end up there again you can bet Bradford is out. And Washington gave up a TON to get RGIII, more than just an extra 1st rounder.

Sadly, the best shot we have at the top pick next year is by "earning" it. And although I'm not expecting a great year by any means, I still don't see us being a 3 win (or fewer) team.
    Exactly....likely scenario is Jets are bad but more like 5-6 win bad and top 3 teams will need a qb of heir own....2014 picks are less valuable

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik needs to not overplay his hand, keepng Revis is really bad. Settle on a 1st and third and move on.