Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yankee Haters

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I don't like Cashman, but come one.

If you advise your boss, "Do not buy this piece of equipment. It is shoddy and overpriced, and outdated.", and he buys it anyway, over your objections, how is that your fault?
    I think you are missing my point. How do any of us know who said what? has Cashman ever come out and said this was not his call? Has Steinbrenner come out and said this was his decision and his alone?

All i am saying is that people have made a lot of assumptions based on media reports, etc... if i am wrong i am wrong, but without having cold hard facts, you have to assume Cashman was on board as the general manager of the team. Wasnt he supposed to have 'full autonomy' at one point?

BTW like someone said before about Bonilla, that was an accounting deal, dumb as it was its not like they paid him 10m per year to play into his 50's...its more book keeping and less baseball.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Has Cashman ever come out and said this was not his call? Has Steinbrenner come out and said this was his decision and his alone?
    How likely are either of these to happen while Cashman is still the GM?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    The Bonilla contract is basically an accounting deal. They deferred money and paid it in small amounts over a long period of time. The AROD contract is massive money over a relatively short period of time.
    The Arod contract makes the Bonilla contract look like chump change. Granted it was 20 years ago and there's plenty of inflation but still.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Cano is home grown by my standards. Lets not forget that the Yanks are always drafting at the bottom every year and lose picks b.c of FA signings.

Also, they were a pick away from getting Trout a few years ago. They wanted him and were going to take him. The Tex signing is what cost them position. People would be saying the Yanks have the best system if they had gotten him.
    Cashman would have traded Trout as soon as someone offered him an overpriced middle-rotation guy or some veteran left-handed powerhitter with a bloated contact. That's my biggest issue with Cashman not the botched pitching moves, not the Aroid contract which he has to take some of the blame on, not the fact that he was publicly bashing the Soriano signing which saved the 2012 season - it's the fact that young guys like Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero never get their shot.

Kei Igawa got his shot however.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Cashman would have traded Trout as soon as someone offered him an overpriced middle-rotation guy or some veteran left-handed powerhitter with a bloated contact. That's my biggest issue with Cashman not the botched pitching moves, not the Aroid contract which he has to take some of the blame on, not the fact that he was publicly bashing the Soriano signing which saved the 2012 season - it's the fact that young guys like Austin Jackson and Jesus Montero never get their shot.

Kei Igawa got his shot however.
    Igawa and Arod were ownership decisions not Cashman decisions. Igawa was George's response to Matsuzaka.

Cashman has been the one that wants to cultivate young talent and build the farm system. Yanks did not have a position for Montero and that is why they traded him. The Jackson/Grandy trade has worked out for the Yanks. Ian Kennedy couldn't handle NY. Cashman has not been careless in trading young prospects in recent years. There has been a conscious effort to build the farm since about 2004.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Igawa and Arod were ownership decisions not Cashman decisions. Igawa was George's response to Matsuzaka.

Cashman has been the one that wants to cultivate young talent and build the farm system. Yanks did not have a position for Montero and that is why they traded him. The Jackson/Grandy trade has worked out for the Yanks. Ian Kennedy couldn't handle NY. Cashman has not been careless in trading young prospects in recent years. There has been a conscious effort to build the farm since about 2004.
    Can you guys hear yourslf? Every bad move the Yankees have made the last 15 years has been ownership not Cashman. What a bunch of bs I wish I could get the same absolution at my job.

In the long-run Jackson is going to have the better career. Yankees could have kept Jackson and signed a veteran powerhitter, veteran powerhitters who can hit hr's in the new Yankee Stadium are literally a dime a dozen. Montero has no position? Lol he'd be the starting first baseman or DH right now if he wasn't already the starting catcher luckily Cervelli has stepped up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you guys hear yourslf? Every bad move the Yankees have made the last 15 years has been ownership not Cashman. What a bunch of bs I wish I could get the same absolution at my job.

In the long-run Jackson is going to have the better career. Yankees could have kept Jackson and signed a veteran powerhitter, veteran powerhitters who can hit hr's in the new Yankee Stadium are literally a dime a dozen. Montero has no position? Lol he'd be the starting first baseman or DH right now if he wasn't already the starting catcher luckily Cervelli has stepped up.
    I can't stand Cashman either. The Montero deal was awful, the Granderson deal was very steep. People always forget about the lefty the Yankees threw in on that deal (forget his name, damn old age). But he wound up closing games for Detroit. Too much for a guy who had just hit 179 vs. lefties.

I simply don't blame Cashman for the ARod contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The Montero-Pineda trade is just fine if Pineda doesn't get hurt. So far Montero hasn't done anything of note either. He's a catcher who is much better suited to be a DH.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I only discussed the examples you gave. You are a misinformed Yankee hater. Cashman had basically nothing to do with the Arod and Igawa contracts. In fact it was contracts and situations like those that made Cashman demand more unilateral control when the Yanks extended his contract to be GM.

Montero couldn't field. He doesn't have a position. The Yanks use the DH as a resting spot for everyday players. So they traded him for Pineda and another promising young pitcher. Pineda got hurt. Sh*t happens.

They turned Jackson into a player that has hit 40 HRs a year for them and has played a very solid CF. Not to mention that he was a MVP candidate. They also threw Coke in the deal. But Logan who Cashman got from the White Sox is a better lefty reliever.

The Yanks have plenty of catching in the pipeline.

Has Cashman had his misses? Of course he has. But IMO he has performed well in an absolutely thankless job. Yanks are lucky to have him. I hope he is here for a long time.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-09-2013 at 08:10 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cashman is not garbage, hes not the best GM in the world but he isn't the worst. He has made a lot of under the radar signings and trades that helped the team a lot. It isn't his fault when ownership overrules him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    I think you are missing my point. How do any of us know who said what? has Cashman ever come out and said this was not his call?
    In fact Cashman has been very forthwright in disclosing certain signings were not his call/recommendation. Rafael Soriano immediately comes to mind, he basically flat out said I didnt want to pay him the amount of the contract and was overruled.

Do you think John Idzik on his first day as Jets GM decided hey I am gonna start by trading Revis? No, it was basically told by him to do so.

Mets fans (not all but some) were irate about the Mets not signing Reyes. Respected posters like Venom to give an example. Do you think they were blaming Sandy? or the Wilpons?

So yes Cashman has not always been the decision maker in certain regards. But it is fairly obvious certain signings, (Arod, Igawa, Soriano) were not his.

His biggest drawback in my view has been the lack of development of Baneulos and Betances (young arms) and if Pineda ends up being hurt forever that will be a huge blemish on his resume. The verdict is still out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yanks not as bad as everyone thought.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Yankees may not be bad... They will be getting Granderson, Jeter, and Teixeira back at some point soon. And their lineup isn't doing bad so far. Vernon Wells may end up being a good trade, he has more bat speed than he has had in a while now. I remember scouts saying that when the Yankees made the trade that he looked good in spring. Kevin Youkilis looks good. And Travis Hafner can hit if he can stay healthy. Francisco Cervelli has been hitting well. Just need the pitching to do its job

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Just better then Cleveland. Not shocking.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The Yankees may not be bad... They will be getting Granderson, Jeter, and Teixeira back at some point soon. And their lineup isn't doing bad so far. Vernon Wells may end up being a good trade, he has more bat speed than he has had in a while now. I remember scouts saying that when the Yankees made the trade that he looked good in spring. Kevin Youkilis looks good. And Travis Hafner can hit if he can stay healthy. Francisco Cervelli has been hitting well. Just need the pitching to do its job
    Wouldn't count on Teixeira.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Wouldn't count on Teixeira.
    I'm not sure we ever do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Everyone?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Lmao...

As soon as I saw that Tucker stepped on that irony land mine, with both feet, I started howling.

The Mets will pay him nearly 30 million bucks between 2011-2035.

There are grown men watching games at Citi-field that werent born when Bonilla last played for the Mets!

-
    The Mets should sell Bonilla jerseys. If he's getting paid then he's part f the team. At least make some money back -- you know people would buy them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Everyone?

Everyone meaning Mets fans and a couple idiot Yankee-haters on sports radio like Russo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only discussed the examples you gave. You are a misinformed Yankee hater. Cashman had basically nothing to do with the Arod and Igawa contracts. In fact it was contracts and situations like those that made Cashman demand more unilateral control when the Yanks extended his contract to be GM.

Montero couldn't field. He doesn't have a position. The Yanks use the DH as a resting spot for everyday players. So they traded him for Pineda and another promising young pitcher. Pineda got hurt. Sh*t happens.

They turned Jackson into a player that has hit 40 HRs a year for them and has played a very solid CF. Not to mention that he was a MVP candidate. They also threw Coke in the deal. But Logan who Cashman got from the White Sox is a better lefty reliever.

The Yanks have plenty of catching in the pipeline.

Has Cashman had his misses? Of course he has. But IMO he has performed well in an absolutely thankless job. Yanks are lucky to have him. I hope he is here for a long time.
    I'm not a Yankees hater I'm a Yankees fan who's sick of watching this regime trade away young prospects. The catching in the pipeline consists of Francisco Cervelli and some mediocre prospects who can't even come close to beating him out. The Mariners knew something was wrong with Pineda that's why they traded him for a friggin catcher and suckered Cashman.