Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Yankee Haters

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I'm not a Yankees hater I'm a Yankees fan who's sick of watching this regime trade away young prospects. The catching in the pipeline consists of Francisco Cervelli and some mediocre prospects who can't even come close to beating him out. The Mariners knew something was wrong with Pineda that's why they traded him for a friggin catcher and suckered Cashman.
    Uh, no. Gary Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not a Yankees hater I'm a Yankees fan who's sick of watching this regime trade away young prospects. The catching in the pipeline consists of Francisco Cervelli and some mediocre prospects who can't even come close to beating him out. The Mariners knew something was wrong with Pineda that's why they traded him for a friggin catcher and suckered Cashman.
    Well then you are acting like a bandwagon Yankee fan.

We have Romine and Sanchez in the catching pipeline. Romine has had some struggles and Sanchez is still very young. But the consensus is that he is going to be a very good player.

Pineda got a physical before the Yanks traded for him. I agree, it was a bit odd that the Mariners would trade him. It was common knowledge that scouts did not like his delivery and that it could lead to arm problems. So you can blame the Yanks for not getting an MRI first to be sure. But I do not think he was badly hurt before we got him. He came into ST in terrible shape and the Yanks rushed him. Then when his velocity wasn't there he overthrew and hurt himself. The Yanks have mis-managed some injuries in recent years. Wang, Hughes, Pineda all come to mind. If there is one are of the organization that deserves criticism it is their medical staff.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

We have Romine and Sanchez in the catching pipeline. Romine has had some struggles and Sanchez is still very young. But the consensus is that he is going to be a very good player.

Pineda got a physical before the Yanks traded for him. I agree, it was a bit odd that the Mariners would trade him. It was common knowledge that scouts did not like his delivery and that it could lead to arm problems. So you can blame the Yanks for not getting an MRI first to be sure. But I do not think he was badly hurt before we got him. He came into ST in terrible shape and the Yanks rushed him. Then when his velocity wasn't there he overthrew and hurt himself. The Yanks have mis-managed some injuries in recent years. Wang, Hughes, Pineda all come to mind. If there is one are of the organization that deserves criticism it is their medical staff.
    The yankees future is not looking great. They have 1 prospect in the top 100 and he is near the 60-70 range. They have aging veterans and a rotation that is nothing to scream about. MO is gone next year, jeter is gone in 1-2 years, you are stuck with arod for 4-5 years. Tex is gettign worse by the year, and so is grandy. I don't see what there is to get excited about except signing cano long term. This is reality.

Pineda got a physical before the Yanks traded for him. I agree, it was a bit odd that the Mariners would trade him.
    I'm a bandwagon Yankee fan? I grew up watching Dave Winfield and a way past his prime Donnie Baseball in the 80's while everyone else in NY was a Mets fan. I used to go to regular season Yankee games when Stump friggin Merril was the manager and duds like Greg Cadaret and cokehead Steve Howe were pitching and you deserved a bronze star just for daring to venture into the South Bronx to watch a game. I never even saw the Yankees ever play in a playoff game until 1995.

Romine is a JAG backup catcher. Cervelli is better. If Sanchez is anything Cashman will trade him for an over the hill pitcher like Javy Vasquez or some overpaid hr hitter who can't even get on base when facing good pitching in the playoffs.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 04-11-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    The yankees future is not looking great. They have 1 prospect in the top 100 and he is near the 60-70 range. They have aging veterans and a rotation that is nothing to scream about. MO is gone next year, jeter is gone in 1-2 years, you are stuck with arod for 4-5 years. Tex is gettign worse by the year, and so is grandy. I don't see what there is to get excited about except signing cano long term. This is reality.
    It's all the owner's fault. Cashman is great. You're a spoiled frontrunner if you think otherwise.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 04-11-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame

Yankee Haters

It's all the owner's fault. Cashman is great.
    Yeah. That is exactly what others and I have said.

Yeah. That is exactly what others and I have said.

I get it. The farm system, crappy trades and pitcher acquisitions are all the owner's fault. Any chance Cashman can trade Nova and Nunez for Johan?

Cashman over the years has become much less trigger happy in trading away prospects, which coincides with the decreased, now non-existent, pressure from the old boss. In terms of the Montero trade, I didn't necessarily agree with it, but he did get youth in return, as opposed to an older, veteran player.

That being said, he has failed in the development and implementation of prospects onto the big club. Guys like Banuelos, Betances, Sanchez, etc could very well pan out, but right now it's slim pickings for guys homegrown under Cashman's watch. And I'm indifferent on Cashman. Not a huge fan, not a hater.

I'm a bandwagon Yankee fan? I grew up watching Dave Winfield and a way past his prime Donnie Baseball in the 80's while everyone else in NY was a Mets fan. I used to go to regular season Yankee games when Stump friggin Merril was the manager and duds like Greg Cadaret and cokehead Steve Howe were pitching and you deserved a bronze star just for daring to venture into the South Bronx to watch a game. I never even saw the Yankees ever play in a playoff game until 1995.
    Imagine growing up in the Bronx during the 50"s and being a Bklyn Dodger fan while the rest of the family rooted for the Yanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Wrong... The Yankees do not have only 1 prospect in the top 100...

Mason Williams OF-#32 ranked prospect in Baseball America's top 100 #41 ranked prospect on MLB.com top 100.

Gary Sanchez C-#57 ranked prospect in Baseball America's top 100. #36 ranked prospect in MLB.com top 100.

Tyler Austin OF-#77 ranked prospect in Baseball America's top 100. #75 ranked prospect in MLB.com top 100.

Slade Heathcott OF-#63 ranked prospect in Baseball America's top 100.

I haven't given up on Manny Banuelos, hes still real young and pitchers come back stronger from Tommy John surgery all of the time.

Ty Hensley was just drafted, could go either way. But plenty of upside in him as a SP...

Basically, our top 4 prospects are top 100 prospects in baseball... And we would have 5 but Banuelos got injured and had Tommy John surgery and will miss all of 2013, but that doesn't mean his career is dead yet.

The Yankees could always spend and replace those players... Especially after 2014, because right now the Yankees are uptight about being under $189 mil for luxury tax reasons.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 04-12-2013 at 04:32 PM.

All League
    The Yankees really do seem to get a get a lot out of players that were thought to be done. This year they've been helped big time by Wells, Hafner and today Overbay. How do they do this virtually every year?

Hall Of Fame
    ^ Because playing for the Yankees gives these guys a boost. As long as they can psychologically handle the pressure, which most veterans can, they will get a bump from being in NY. Great facilities, great atmosphere.

This is why I stood up for Cashman prior to the season. The guy has a thankless job. We are lucky to have him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    The Yankees really do seem to get a get a lot out of players that were thought to be done. This year they've been helped big time by Wells, Hafner and today Overbay. How do they do this virtually every year?
    Older players on the decline who suddenly play better?

Cano's "publicist" has a number for them to call. Duh.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Older players on the decline who suddenly play better?

Cano's "publicist" has a number for them to call. Duh.
    Ok Ernie....

All League
    I'm surprised Ernie didn't post this first, but apparently Mickey Mantle was a cheater.

Looks Like Mickey Mantle Used To Cork His Bat

Even one of the greatest hitters of all time wasn't above cheating to get a little extra bat speed.

There've been allegations before that Mantle, as he got older, turned to corking his bats to get around a little quicker on those fastballs. Now we've got some hard proof. A game-used Mantle bat from 1964, which will go up for auction later this month, was x-rayed—and there's a little chunk of something illegal in the barrel.

Here's how John Taube, the PSA/DNA authentication expert who examined the bat, describes it:

“During our examination of the bat, we noticed a circular area .75 inches wide in the center of the top barrel. The finish in the area has also been touched up to mask the circular area. Alterations of this nature indicate the barrel has been drilled and filled with cork….we had the barrel x-rayed and (it) confirms that the barrel has been drilled and filled with cork."

You might remember Taube from our story three years ago, having examined a corked, game-used bat from Pete Rose, baseball's all-time hit king. The story sounds similar—the bat was used at the end of Rose's career, when a hitter whose reflexes are slowing wants a lighter bat without sacrificing power.

Mantle is long dead (like Rose's career), so this'll be rightfully laughed off as a wily vet just looking to gain an edge. But anyone who takes that tack, or blows off claims of spitballs, isn't allowed to complain about PEDs ever again.

Veteran
    I'm surprised Ernie didn't post this first, but apparently Mickey Mantle was a cheater.

I'd say any cork he was using was easily balanced out by the massive amount of alcohol coursing through his veins...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    I'd say any cork he was using was easily balanced out by the massive amount of alcohol coursing through his veins...
    Imagine the player Mantle would have been if he were EVER healthy (and sober)

Good find. Where did you come across this?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Good find. Where did you come across this?
    deadspin

Hall Of Fame
    Are we still in panic mode now that the Yankees have sole possession of first place with Granderson, Teixiera, Jeter, and Pineda not even having played a game yet? With DL stints by Youkilis, Cervelli, and Chamberlain?

Yes, I left the other guy out on purpose