Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets insist Revis attends workouts or he doesn't get his bonus

Veteran

Jets insist Revis attends workouts or he doesn't get his bonus

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...rkouts-sources

Another storm has developed between Darrelle Revis and the New York Jets. This time, the issue is the offseason conditioning program, which begins April 15.

Even though they may trade him before or during the April 25 draft, the Jets plan to enforce language in the star cornerback's contract that requires him to participate in the voluntary workouts to collect bonus money, sources said.

Revis has been rehabbing his surgically repaired knee with his personal trainer in Arizona and, with an uncertain future, he'd prefer to stay there at least through the draft to focus on his rehab and avoid a potentially uncomfortable situation, according to sources.

His presence at the Jets' training facility would be awkward to say the least, also creating a possible distraction for the team. The Jets have been shopping him for almost two months.

But, barring a change of heart, Revis is expected to fly to New Jersey for the start of the conditioning program. He won't be thrilled, but he has $3 million riding on it.

When Revis renegotiated his contract in 2010, following his second holdout in three years, he agreed to a clause that requires his attendance in all offseason activities -- even non-mandatory workouts, sources said.

If Revis doesn't participate in approximately 80 percent of the workouts, he will forfeit not only a $1 million workout bonus, but two other bonuses -- a $1 million roster bonus (triggered March 17, but payable at a later date) and a $1 million reporting bonus at the start of training camp.

They're tied together, providing significant financial motivation to attend. It was the Jets' way of making sure Revis stays on his best behavior, an aspect of his four-year, $46 million contract that was kept relatively quiet -- until now.

Revis always has been a regular in the offseason program -- even in 2010, when he staged a lengthy training-camp holdout -- but this isn't a normal offseason because of his injury and a possible trade.

Nevertheless, the team is holding his feet to the fire -- or, in this case, his knee, insisting that he show for the offseason.

The Jets declined comment, but they're aware of his feelings about the offseason program, sources said.

Throughout the offseason, general manager John Idzik has maintained the team's priority is Revis' health. He underwent ACL surgery last October and, barring a setback, should be ready for the start of training camp.

Idzik said recently he has no problem with Revis rehabbing in Arizona, but he also said, "I can't wait to see Darrelle in the building." The Jets have received weekly updates on his progress, but they'd also like their doctors to examine him.

If the Jets allow Revis to skip the early part of the offseason program, it could hurt their leverage in trade talks because it would give the impression they've decided to deal him.

Right now, their best form of leverage is that he's under contract for another year, allowing the Jets to convey the message they're under no obligation to trade him.

"I think as we get into the offseason program -- it's all voluntary -- but you would hope that most of your players want to be there and be in the building and get the juices flowing with our staff and everybody that we have," Idzik said at the scouting combine in late February.

"We have a fine medical staff. We have a great training staff. We have tremendous facilities, so we feel that we have a lot to offer Darrelle and all of our players. We would hope that they would be there, but at the end of the day, it's what's best for Darrelle, how can we get him to clear medically and get back to the field to where he was before as quickly as possible."

It's not that simple, of course.

Revis will become an unrestricted free agent after the season (they can't use the franchise tag on him, per his contract) and the Jets appear reluctant to sign him to a long-term extension. As a result, they've been dangling him in trade talks.

Idzik and owner Woody Johnson are playing a game of semantics, insisting they're not actively shopping Revis but making it clear they'd consider a trade it if would help the team. Revis is in limbo, wondering if he'll be back.

So far, only one serious suitor has emerged 00 the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

There was heated speculation at last month's league meetings of a possible deal, but the talk has died down in recent weeks. The issue could be whether the Bucs are willing to include their first-round pick (13th overall) in a compensation package.
    I'm glad Idzik is playing hard ball with him. Tanny let Revis sh*t all over the Jets twice. It's def a nice change.

All Pro
    I hope they get lots of picks for this guy so we can start getting a franchise QB, a passrusher, and other playmakers.

Veteran
    I think they should have also included a clause in his contract requiring Feinsod and Schwartz to go a few rounds with Rex Ryan.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post

I'm glad Idzik is playing hard ball with him. Tanny let Revis sh*t all over the Jets twice. It's def a nice change.
    I wouldn't call it hardball, or 'holding his feet to the fire' as the author said..I would call it making him honor his damn contract.

Besides, if they let him stay home that only adds fuel to the potential 'trade me' scenario...and until he is dealt he is a part of the team.

Only in the NY media, particularly dealing with the NYJ, is making a player honor his contract considered an injustice, a 'cause of friction' or 'big news' worthy of a blog post.

In my mind, I think Revis would want to attend these workouts. Show that he is healthy so he can start to collect trade interest and money

The Jets should have let him rot when he was holding out. Revis didn`t get us a champuionship. The Jets can win & lose without him. Proven last year. They should`ve let him rot and watch his career get flushed.

@ConorTOrr: Was away for a moment, but can confirm that Revis, #Jets aren't seeing eye to eye on voluntary offseason workouts | http://t.co/i0L4nwuRPI

@ConorTOrr: Revis will be in attendance for the voluntary workouts, I'm told. #nyj

Yes, you know because these clauses in the contract requiring Revis to report where placed by Tanny.

You can't make it up.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yes, you know because these clauses in the contract requiring Revis to report where placed by Tanny.

You can't make it up.
    Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that Tanny drew up a masterful contract that allows the Jets to franchise Revis at the end of this year giving them the leverage they need to get fair value in a trade. Tanny bent over and took it up the a*s on more then a few contracts including Revis'.

You can't make it up.

You can't make it up.
    Don't even begin to defend the schmuck otherwise known as Tannenbaum for the current Revis Contract. In an act of desperation during the HBO Hard Knocks series on the Jets, Tanny acquiesced the Franchise Tag, thereby giving the Jets ZERO leverage entering this season. This got Revis into camp and onto Hard Knocks, but screwed the team in the long run.

Tanny's overall incompetence on personnel and his mismanagement of the cap are indefensible.

Was there much interest around the league in hiring him as a GM or anything remotely close? Everyone knows he's nothing more than an accountant. An average one at best.
    Last edited by Dcat; 04-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot that Tanny drew up a masterful contract that allows the Jets to franchise Revis at the end of this year giving them the leverage they need to get fair value in a trade. Tanny bent over and took it up the a*s on more then a few contracts including Revis'.

You can't make it up.
    Right. Coming off the AFCCG People here were *****ing to get a contract done, including the HC. Now you state good for Idzik for playing tough. It's in his contract to report. Duh.

Again, it's the new guy can do no wrong, and I like Idzik, but you and others will be trashing him in no time.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Insist?

Jets requiring Darrelle Revis to attend voluntary workouts | NJ.com

Even though the Jets may be looking to deal Darrelle Revis, they still expect him to be in camp for the beginning of voluntary workouts next week, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed.

The news was first reported by ESPN New York.

Revis, of course, could decline but in doing so would lose $3 million worth of bonus money written into his contract. The activation of such bonuses, according to the language in Revis' deal, is dependent on attendance in roughly 80 percent offseason workouts. That includes voluntary activities, a person with knowledge of Revis' deal confirmed.

He is expected to be at the facility.

This language was written into Revis' deal during the 2010 band-aid contract that was supposed to be revisited after two seasons. Obviously, at the time, there was no lingering injury concerns.

Revis has been rehabilitating his torn ACL in Arizona at Fischer Sports alongside his team of personal trainers and coaches. Although the staff has provided the Jets with constant updates on Revis' progress, it appears the team wants more contact with their star cornerback.

Revis, who, aside from his holdouts has been complicit in the voluntary offseason training programs in the past, would prefer to stay in Arizona and avoid the inevitable awkward situation inside the team facility. According to someone briefed on his situation, he has been making the appropriate progress in Arizona.

The Jets, who have maintained a tight-lipped approach since reports first emerged, not saying definitively whether they intend to keep their best player, declined to comment on the matter.

The offseason has been a messy one in terms of the Revis situation. Rex Ryan came out and said that he knew for a fact that Revis wasn't being "actively" shopped. If other teams called, though, Ryan said the Jets would listen.

Meanwhile, an aggressive suitor in Tampa Bay has emerged, fueling speculation.

That leaves Revis inside the team facility without any assurances about his future while the most serious deadline for a potential trade, the 2013 NFL Draft, looms.

By Conor Orr 4/7/13 12.13 pm
    Last edited by Apache 51; 04-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Hall Of Fame

It was Tanny who put the workout bonus in his contract.

Just sayin.

Edit* Looks like CMart beat me to it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It was Tanny who put the workout bonus in his contract.

Just sayin.

Edit* Looks like CMart beat me to it.
    Makes up for no franchise tag? Dumbest move I've ever seen.

Right. Coming off the AFCCG People here were *****ing to get a contract done, including the HC. Now you state good for Idzik for playing tough. It's in his contract to report. Duh.

Again, it's the new guy can do no wrong, and I like Idzik, but you and others will be trashing him in no time.
    + infinity!!

Exactly right, CMart. As I often refer to those JI posters, "prisoner of the moment syndrome."

As for Revis, I am getting tired of this cat and mouse game. While I have been a Revis supporter all along, I am a Jets fan first. Either he wants to be here or not at a price that will not handcuff the team financially given the needs we have at several positions. If he/his agent has determined it is time to move on, then let's turn the page and get the best deal possible for Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Did you say it was the dumbest move when the Revis contract was agreed upon back in '10.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It doesn't, but maybe the clause that kicks in 3 extra cheap years on Revis's contract if he holds out isn't so bad. Do you think there'd be even the slightest chance of him showing up this season if that wasn't negotiated by Tannenbaum?

Veteran
    I like Idzik, but you and others will be trashing him in no time.
    That is the truth, I remember posters endlessly laying praise at the feet of Tannenbaum ... "In Mike we trust" ... "Trader Mike" . In the end he was not nearly as bad as he is portrayed now and not nearly as good as he was perceived then.

In time Idzik will first be lionized and then cast out into the desert as being " a numbers guy" or some other appropriate failing.

Which Jets coach or front office guy has not, in time, been turned on by the fans ? Weeb Ewbank is the only name I can think of and maybe fans like Savage can correct me ... Even Parcells was criticized for his drafting.

I am excited about Idzik, I think he is an upgrade, more cerebral than Tannenbaum who was like Woody Johnson, has a hard time separating hyperbole from fact.

On Revis, it's the right thing to do i.e. to insist that he attends the off-season workouts. He is getting paid Diva money over the length of his current contract (don't tell me he is playing for 6M this year, that is a distortion of the facts). To ask him to honour his end of the contract is common sense, it's so obvious. The Jets need to get a look at his progress to help determine what his value is worth in a trade and whether to trade him at all and attempt to resign him.

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    It doesn't, but maybe the clause that kicks in 3 extra cheap years on Revis's contract if he holds out isn't so bad. Do you think there'd be even the slightest chance of him showing up this season if that wasn't negotiated by Tannenbaum?
    If the Jets hold firm on the voluntary workout requirement, I wonder how long and fast Revis will pedal that bike? And given the anti holdout clause I look forward to seeing what endurance record he breaks on that bike come regular season. Game 7? 8?

This entire story is a fabrication based on a clause in revis contract. I'm 100% sure the guy doesn't give two ****s about coming home to work out and get a couple of mil.