Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jets insist Revis attends workouts or he doesn't get his bonus

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    +1 it's in his deal!

Cimini being a DICK, another non story
    Agreed. Even if he felt this story was newsworthy it could have been titled (and would have been more accurate)

"Revis tries to hold out again, but ultimately honors his contract for $3mm"

Revis is in NJ as we speak

Revis went to the mets game this weekend and he had a birthday party at a local bowling alley thats a 5 min ride from Florham Park. If he has time to do that, he can train in NJ with the Jets if they want

It will be impossible to trade him unless the Jets demonstarte he has made good rehab progress and will be ready for training camp in July.
    What is Revis hiding?
    Also read today a report which said TB is getting annoyed with trade talks and had offered a 1, 3, and 6. Plus of course paying Revis $16m.
    TB management is REALLY stupid if true.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    It will be impossible to trade him unless the Jets demonstarte he has made good rehab progress and will be ready for training camp in July.
    What is Revis hiding?
    Also read today a report which said TB is getting annoyed with trade talks and had offered a 1, 3, and 6. Plus of course paying Revis $16m.
    TB management is REALLY stupid if true.
    What's the greater level of stupidity in your opinion, making such an offer or not accepting it as soon as it was offered and running away with it?

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    What's the greater level of stupidity in your opinion, making such an offer or not accepting it as soon as it was offered and running away with it?

There is a very good point. If THAT was the offer, both sides are essentially insane. That offer should be accepted in one second.

1,3 and 6? The Jets should not pass that up...we need to rebuild both quality and quantity (depth) at some many positions that giving up Revis is an unfortunate necessity. We could wait and year and get nothing or extend his contract (doubtful)...but those picks could be key to the rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by bobr68 View Post
    1,3 and 6? The Jets should not pass that up...we need to rebuild both quality and quantity (depth) at some many positions that giving up Revis is an unfortunate necessity. We could wait and year and get nothing or extend his contract (doubtful)...but those picks could be key to the rebuilding.
    Note that the reports haven't specified which season the picks would fall in. If they were all in 2014, and given the usual rule-of-thumb that a pick in next year's draft has a value one round lower than a pick in the current year's draft, would you trade Revis for 2nd, 4th, and 7th round picks?

The offer from Tampa as i have seen reported is for 1,3,6 from next year with no picks in the upcoming draft. The real story to me is how Cimini, Costello and the rest of the press try and spin it that Idzik is a jerk for actually expecting Revis to comply with the terms of the contract that he signed!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    Note that the reports haven't specified which season the picks would fall in. If they were all in 2014, and given the usual rule-of-thumb that a pick in next year's draft has a value one round lower than a pick in the current year's draft, would you trade Revis for 2nd, 4th, and 7th round picks?
    I take that deal in a minute. Look at the top of this year's draft. Some years, picks are better than others. Those 3 plus the Jets #1 should get you to the top of any draft to get players you want/need.

Jets want Revis to come get the money himself...he should have no problem coming to Florham Park and let the Jet doctors take a look at him...

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    That's a really general "rule of thumb". It's so team/situation dependent. For a team like the Jets who are most likely more than 2 or more years away, I don't think the draft picks are such a discount for them. For a better team that needs players right away, I would agree with the. I don't know what's expected from the QBs (other than Manziel and Bridgewater) but I have to assume they are considered better than this years class. Therefore those picks might have more value to the Jets in 2014.

My guess is this is all coming out of Revis camp/agents

@ProFootballTalk: Bucs are willing to give up a 2013 first-round pick for Revis, but the Jets want a lot more http://t.co/ZbPZuuURic

Dear Tampa Bay Buccaneers,

This is just to inform you that if you do not agree to our trade demands by this Sunday, April 14th, the franchise Cornerback in whom you will be making a considerable investment will be interrupting his rehab for 10 days in order to meet his contractual obligations to us. We regret that this will be a setback to his efforts to be at full strength by your first regular season game, but we are not in the habit of giving away seven-figure dollar amounts for free.

Signed,
    John Idzik
    General Manager, New York Jets

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's a really general "rule of thumb". It's so team/situation dependent. For a team like the Jets who are most likely more than 2 or more years away, I don't think the draft picks are such a discount for them. For a better team that needs players right away, I would agree with the. I don't know what's expected from the QBs (other than Manziel and Bridgewater) but I have to assume they are considered better than this years class. Therefore those picks might have more value to the Jets in 2014.
    That's one argument, and not an invalid one. The other side of the coin (and I believe, the reasoning behind the rule-of-thumb) is that if you are rebuilding, and want to turn it around as quickly as possible, you would rather have young players get a year of experience under their belt in a season where the stakes are lower, and be ready to contribute more when the stakes are higher.

To your point though, there are a lot of variables involved in this. It assumes that the value to be had in the current draft is not significantly lower than next year's. Will the Bucs' 1st round pick next year be significantly lower, particularly with Revis on their side (some have guessed that the Bucs' pick will be more like #22 next year if the trade goes down).

As a former math major, I guess it breaks down this:

Is (2013 #13 + 1 year's experience) > (2014 #22) ?

My vote would probably be yes.