Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70

Thread: Diminishing importance of Left Tackles in the NFL

  1. #41
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the assertion that the game and roster management has changed a lot since The Blindside was written.

    I also agreed with some of what KC Joyner said in his book "Blindsided: Why The Left Tackle Is Overrated" but found some of his "statistics" to be misleading.

    At the end of the day - paying a LT franchise money makes sense for your team if it makes sense for your team.

    Contrary to popular belief - there are a lot of different ways to win in the NFL, and the best franchises are the best not because they adhere to a single model of how a roster should be built - but because they adapt better to change and exploit tomorrow's inefficiencies rather than yesterday's.

    Is the LT important? Yes, undoubtedly.

    Should every team draft one in Round 1 in the hopes that he turns into the next Orlando Pace? No.

  2. #42
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    132
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are some people really saying Jake Long wasn't a good tackle? Should've been on the right side? He's not what he used to be, and he shouldnt have been resigned, but that doesn't take away what he was. His first few years he was dominant. Top 3 left tackle and routinly shutdown the opposing teams pass rusher.

    Now as a hypothetical, lets say he was still great, or lets just use Joe Thomas as an example. Would I want to pay a left tackle 12-15 million a year? Not a chance. But theres not many positions that I would. QB definately, and maybe reciever. Do I think the front office would have resigned Long at 12 million? Yea I do.

  3. #43
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    may not be such a crock. but it's not that the lt is diminished it's that the other oline positions are raised. this is because teams pass more. pass blocking is somewhat easier to learn than run blocking and if teams do one or the other then the oline only has to master one type of blocking.

    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

    The NFL is becoming a more pass-happy league by the year, yet LT's are somehow less important?

    If anything, a reliable passblocker at LT is more important than ever.

    What a crock of sh*t

  4. #44
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    And that's the way it should be.

    Just look at the CB market right now. Not a single CB has received a contract in excess of $8 million per this offseason, yet Revis wants $16 million a year?

    LOL

    And you actually have people on this board that want to give it to him.

    Well, I don't know about giving him $16 mil... but Revis is arguably one of only two CBs I have ever seen who literally took away half the field (Deion being the other). So if the league is so much more pass happy, and QBs are at such a premium (both are true) then doesn't it stand to reason that if you have the only guy in a generation who can take half the field away from a QB, you do what you can to keep him? I mean, just look at what the Jet defense did in '09 and '10 with literally ZERO pass rush. And that is with all the blitzes Rex dialed up. We had no pressure and still defended the pass - all because of Revis. Imagine if we actually draft an OLB who can rush the passer one of these years (just one!) and put him on a team with Revis...

  5. #45
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    And 1/2 of the first 6 picks in this years draft may be LTs

  6. #46
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Well, I don't know about giving him $16 mil... but Revis is arguably one of only two CBs I have ever seen who literally took away half the field (Deion being the other). So if the league is so much more pass happy, and QBs are at such a premium (both are true) then doesn't it stand to reason that if you have the only guy in a generation who can take half the field away from a QB, you do what you can to keep him? I mean, just look at what the Jet defense did in '09 and '10 with literally ZERO pass rush. And that is with all the blitzes Rex dialed up. We had no pressure and still defended the pass - all because of Revis. Imagine if we actually draft an OLB who can rush the passer one of these years (just one!) and put him on a team with Revis...
    There's no way I would pay Revis even close to $16 million a year.

    Yeah, the guy is a great player, but he's also easily avoided. Just don't throw to the guy he's covering.

    You can't avoid a dynamic passrusher like JJ Watt or DeMarcus Ware. They disrupt entire offenses. Revis even on his best day is still only taking away one receiver.

    Dynamic passrushers are the only defensive players that are worth $10+ million a year IMO.

    You sure as hell don't pay a corner franchise QB money, regardless of how great he is.

  7. #47
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrible article.
    Yes you can win without a stud LT if your QB is named Rodgers, Manning or Brady. But if you're like 70% of NFL teams and don't have an elite QB (like the Jets) LT is still a priority.
    Btw, Rodgers (the best QB in the NFL) took a step back last year because of the play of his LT.

  8. #48
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    This...good post

    We are reaching the point where people can't see the wood for the trees.Great TEAMS are winning championships and great teams will get a combination of great coaching,great play calling,luck and great play in clutch situations across the board....not just at QB

    I realise my previous post was facetious but the broader point is that the overrating of the QB position is getting out of hand.Why bother drafting any position high other than QB?

    Don't get me wrong it's a QB driven league and you need your signal caller to lead you and as we all saw this past season a bad one can ruin everything BUT...

    ...it seems to me a QB automatically becomes elite if they win a championship but that same courtesy doesn't get extended to other positions...why not?

    Does Flacco become elite without the Ravens Defense?Is Eli elite without Tyree?Is Kaepernick elite full stop?

    What defines elite?...who studies OL play closely enough to see who is performing at an elite level?

    On the basis that QB's only become elite when their team actually wins the SB(hello Flacco)then maybe the last 5 staring OT's on the SB winning team are now elite.
    The ravens defense was not elite by any means, they gave up 30+ points twice in the playoffs. Flacco just got hot and went on a great streak. But they won because he was on a hot streak, not because of the Defense.

    What do you mean by elite qb play? You don't need an elite qb to win the superbowl, you need a very good one though.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The ravens defense was not elite by any means, they gave up 30+ points twice in the playoffs. Flacco just got hot and went on a great streak. But they won because he was on a hot streak, not because of the Defense.

    What do you mean by elite qb play? You don't need an elite qb to win the superbowl, you need a very good one though.
    If you read closely you'd see I posed that very question myself....what defines elite?....100 people might very well have 100 differing views on what or who is elite.Personally I think it's so subjective as to be a pointless label that people throw about with little to no thought.

    Anyway I agree with you about the QB position.You need a good one not a great one or more importantly not a terrible one that is going to lose you the game rather than win it.Hell Sanchez is apparently the worst QB in he league but he had us within a whisker of back-to-back Super Bowls.

    The trouble is the QB position is invested with such importance that the label 'elite' comes almost automatically with a SB win.Yet no other position it seems is afforded this level of importance even though it's plainly nonsense to suggest that good WR's,OT's,OLB' and CB's or even Safeties can't be the difference between a SB.

    so what is 'elite'?....Is Eli really elite?...Roethlisberger?...Flacco....Matt Ryan?...Manning & Brady?

    Anyway back on topic:

    I disagree with the original article stating that the LT position has diminished in importance

    Just my view

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    If you read closely you'd see I posed that very question myself....what defines elite?....100 people might very well have 100 differing views on what or who is elite.Personally I think it's so subjective as to be a pointless label that people throw about with little to no thought.

    Anyway I agree with you about the QB position.You need a good one not a great one or more importantly not a terrible one that is going to lose you the game rather than win it.Hell Sanchez is apparently the worst QB in he league but he had us within a whisker of back-to-back Super Bowls.

    The trouble is the QB position is invested with such importance that the label 'elite' comes almost automatically with a SB win.Yet no other position it seems is afforded this level of importance even though it's plainly nonsense to suggest that good WR's,OT's,OLB' and CB's or even Safeties can't be the difference between a SB.

    so what is 'elite'?....Is Eli really elite?...Roethlisberger?...Flacco....Matt Ryan?...Manning & Brady?

    Anyway back on topic:

    I disagree with the original article stating that the LT position has diminished in importance

    Just my view
    You really need a very good QB, who can elevate his play to an "elite" level during the playoffs. If you just look at what Flacco did in the playoffs, he played at an elite level, it doesnt mean he is an elite QB over his career though. Like anything, you need to get hot for a playoff run, and have guys elevate their play. It doesnt mean you need a roster full of "elite" players, but rather a solid roster top to bottom and get guys to raise their level of play when it matters most.

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    The Ravens only turned into a true Super Bowl contender when Bryant McKinnie, their real LT, not Ray Lewis, returned to full form.
    Uh, I think it was Flacco more than anything else.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You really need a very good QB, who can elevate his play to an "elite" level during the playoffs. If you just look at what Flacco did in the playoffs, he played at an elite level, it doesnt mean he is an elite QB over his career though. Like anything, you need to get hot for a playoff run, and have guys elevate their play. It doesnt mean you need a roster full of "elite" players, but rather a solid roster top to bottom and get guys to raise their level of play when it matters most.
    Agreed up to a point.but the caveat is this:

    I'm pretty damn sure there were a number of guys who got hot for Baltimore throughout the postseason...Bryant McKinnie very possibly being one of them.

    Bottom line is it's every bit as likely that Flacco was provided with the best possible scenario to perform to his optimum because all around him people raised their game and did their jobs to an 'elite' level when it mattered.If McKinnie had crapped the bed allowing multiple sacks and pressures it's highly likely Flacco doesn't get hot at all.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Agreed up to a point.but the caveat is this:

    I'm pretty damn sure there were a number of guys who got hot for Baltimore throughout the postseason...Bryant McKinnie very possibly being one of them.

    Bottom line is it's every bit as likely that Flacco was provided with the best possible scenario to perform to his optimum because all around him people raised their game and did their jobs to an 'elite' level when it mattered.If McKinnie had crapped the bed allowing multiple sacks and pressures it's highly likely Flacco doesn't get hot at all.
    I agree. Thats why I mentioned the importance of good players up and down the roster to elevate their play.

  14. #54
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I agree. Thats why I mentioned the importance of good players up and down the roster to elevate their play.
    Point taken and it all comes back to the original point that somehow you don't need an 'elite' LT?...bottom line the more great players you have,the more you are likely to win I guess

  15. #55
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Point taken and it all comes back to the original point that somehow you don't need an 'elite' LT?...bottom line the more great players you have,the more you are likely to win I guess
    The problem occurs when people look at ONE position in a vacuum and say "you dont need an elite ____ to win a Super Bowl". Which can be true with a caveat. You can have the best LT on the planet, but if the rest of the line is garbage how effective is that? On the other hand you could have 5 average to above average O linemen and have a much better unit.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The problem occurs when people look at ONE position in a vacuum and say "you dont need an elite ____ to win a Super Bowl". Which can be true with a caveat. You can have the best LT on the planet, but if the rest of the line is garbage how effective is that? On the other hand you could have 5 average to above average O linemen and have a much better unit.
    No argument from me there..like most things in life there are shades of grey,never more so in the NFL.Very rarely is everything a case of black and white

  17. #57
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,383
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The problem occurs when people look at ONE position in a vacuum and say "you dont need an elite ____ to win a Super Bowl". Which can be true with a caveat. You can have the best LT on the planet, but if the rest of the line is garbage how effective is that? On the other hand you could have 5 average to above average O linemen and have a much better unit.
    Or an elite LT protecting a cruddy QB ...

  18. #58
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    There's no way I would pay Revis even close to $16 million a year.

    Yeah, the guy is a great player, but he's also easily avoided. Just don't throw to the guy he's covering.

    You can't avoid a dynamic passrusher like JJ Watt or DeMarcus Ware. They disrupt entire offenses. Revis even on his best day is still only taking away one receiver.

    Dynamic passrushers are the only defensive players that are worth $10+ million a year IMO.

    You sure as hell don't pay a corner franchise QB money, regardless of how great he is.

    Not sure if you are joking or not. I mean, by your logic, JJ Watt can be easily avoided also. Just call a scramble to his opposite side on every play, right? How is that different than "avoiding" Revis by simply not throwing to his side? Like I said, corners like him - who can effectively take away half a field - are once in a generation. There was Deion and now there is Revis. I wonder if people would be saying trade Deion for less than the Vikings got for Percy F'ing Harvin...

  19. #59
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Not sure if you are joking or not. I mean, by your logic, JJ Watt can be easily avoided also. Just call a scramble to his opposite side on every play, right? How is that different than "avoiding" Revis by simply not throwing to his side? Like I said, corners like him - who can effectively take away half a field - are once in a generation. There was Deion and now there is Revis. I wonder if people would be saying trade Deion for less than the Vikings got for Percy F'ing Harvin...
    Unfortunately "scrambling to the opposite side" isn't enough to stop a dominant pass rusher and is ineffective. It gives the QB less options, cuts the field in half and makes the offense very predictable.
    On the other hand, not throwing a CB's way is very easy to do and effective.
    And btw, a great corner can only take away 1 of 5 WR options, not half the field as you like to believe

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Unfortunately "scrambling to the opposite side" isn't enough to stop a dominant pass rusher and is ineffective. It gives the QB less options, cuts the field in half and makes the offense very predictable.
    On the other hand, not throwing a CB's way is very easy to do and effective.
    And btw, a great corner can only take away 1 of 5 WR options, not half the field as you like to believe
    Are you talking about Revis here?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us