Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Diminishing importance of Left Tackles in the NFL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Unfortunately "scrambling to the opposite side" isn't enough to stop a dominant pass rusher and is ineffective. It gives the QB less options, cuts the field in half and makes the offense very predictable.
    On the other hand, not throwing a CB's way is very easy to do and effective.
    And btw, a great corner can only take away 1 of 5 WR options, not half the field as you like to believe
    Did you really just type this and think, 'gee, that sounds logical' because it's a total laugher.

Less options, forces the offense to be predictable, takes away their best weapon.... those are all things Revis does.

Are you serious right now? I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke because it's so over the top stupid. I'm stumped.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately "scrambling to the opposite side" isn't enough to stop a dominant pass rusher and is ineffective. It gives the QB less options, cuts the field in half and makes the offense very predictable.
    On the other hand, not throwing a CB's way is very easy to do and effective.
    And btw, a great corner can only take away 1 of 5 WR options, not half the field as you like to believe

Yes, I know. And for 99.9% of CBs you are right. Not for Revis, though. Look at the talent on the Jets' D in '09 and '10. Oh right, there was none. Except for Revis. We had zero pass rush and yet somehow managed to have a top defense because half the field was gone - just like Deion did. No other CB in my lifetime has done that.

He took #1 WRs completely out of a game. Don't trivialize that, as though any Corner can do it. They can't. So acting like "avoiding" Revis in no way affects the other team's game is like saying scrambling away from JJ Watt has no effect either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Well, I don't know about giving him $16 mil... but Revis is arguably one of only two CBs I have ever seen who literally took away half the field (Deion being the other). So if the league is so much more pass happy, and QBs are at such a premium (both are true) then doesn't it stand to reason that if you have the only guy in a generation who can take half the field away from a QB, you do what you can to keep him? I mean, just look at what the Jet defense did in '09 and '10 with literally ZERO pass rush. And that is with all the blitzes Rex dialed up. We had no pressure and still defended the pass - all because of Revis. Imagine if we actually draft an OLB who can rush the passer one of these years (just one!) and put him on a team with Revis...
    Quit this he takes away 1/2 the field crap. he takes away one wr, that is it. 15 years ago teams sent out two or three guys in a pattern and most of the time a TE blocked. You now have 5 guys in patterns and he covers 2-3 of them on his side?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Did you really just type this and think, 'gee, that sounds logical' because it's a total laugher.

Less options, forces the offense to be predictable, takes away their best weapon.... those are all things Revis does.

Are you serious right now? I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke because it's so over the top stupid. I'm stumped.
    LOL +1

I thought I'd be kinder and give him the benefit of the doubt but yeah,I can't can't argue with your analysis

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Didn't mean to stump you. But I'll simplify and type slower for you.
    A pass rusher has more of an impact than a cover corner because he disrupts the source and the main focus of the offense - the QB.
    Conversely a cover corner can only shut down one facet of an offense - the WR.
    QB>WR. Got it? It's football 101.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yes, I know. And for 99.9% of CBs you are right. Not for Revis, though. Look at the talent on the Jets' D in '09 and '10. Oh right, there was none. Except for Revis. We had zero pass rush and yet somehow managed to have a top defense because half the field was gone - just like Deion did. No other CB in my lifetime has done that.

He took #1 WRs completely out of a game. Don't trivialize that, as though any Corner can do it. They can't. So acting like "avoiding" Revis in no way affects the other team's game is like saying scrambling away from JJ Watt has no effect either.
    I agree with most of what you said about the importance of Revis's impact. I just think that Revis can never have the same impact as a JJ Watt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Quit this he takes away 1/2 the field crap. he takes away one wr, that is it. 15 years ago teams sent out two or three guys in a pattern and most of the time a TE blocked. You now have 5 guys in patterns and he covers 2-3 of them on his side?
    Well said

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking away the other teams best target is good enough for me. Because he often doesn't just 'limit the damage' but takes guys who totally abuse other teams and holds them to 2 catches for 12 yards.

If the Jets had any kind of match for the Indy 3rd string WR they go to the super bowl because Revis shuts down their best guy. Next time against Indy the all pro Indy WR goes ballistic because Manning throws to him once in the game.

Having a CB who locks down the other teams best player does not just lock down that guy statistically. It lets your dcoordinator do a lot of things they would be terrified to do often in a game.

The other thing that separates Revis from the common good CB is he makes teams pay for going his way. He's got good ball skills and gets his share of turnovers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

No, the average CB "covers one WR and that's it". Revis shuts down the #1 WR and completely takes him out of the game. The Jets had mediocre talent on defense in '09 and '10 and somehow were shutting teams down - and 80% of it was Revis taking away half the field. We had no pass rush at all. Zero. And teams still couldn't throw at him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with most of what you said about the importance of Revis's impact. I just think that Revis can never have the same impact as a JJ Watt.

Again, in general you are absolutely right. The pass rusher is more important. But Revis isn't the average CB. He is a once in a generation guy. You can't use typical football logic with him. An analogy might be Ray Lewis. You generally don't take a MLB with a top draft pick or give him a huge contract. The outside guys are more important. But Ray Lewis wasn't your ordinary MLB.

Having said all this, I realize Woody isn't paying Revis so I am resigned to trading him at this point. I just hope they get fair value, which means a much better package than the Vikings got for Harvin. I realize it's a longshot