Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MetLife grossed $12.3M tonight with Wrestlemania

Jets Insider VIP

MetLife grossed $12.3M tonight with Wrestlemania

Wrestlemania at MetLife Stadium tonight apparently raked in the dough!

The event, according to a WWE news release distributed Sunday night, was the highest grossing live event in WWE history and is the highest grossing entertainment event in MetLife Stadium history, totaling $12.3 million.
    Cena said before the show WWE did an outstanding job transforming MetLife to where it didn't even resemble a football stadium. (I thought the Jets did that! ) When asked about WrestleMania serving as a precursor to next year's Super Bowl, Cena answered, "If you can accomodate what we've done out there, the Super Bowl will be fine."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/pro-wr...a-29-1.5024714

Sure sign of end of times.

Rise of the mooks.

Idiocracy.

DC

All League
    But I thought we were outraged That Woody (but not Mara) would pander to such an event?!

PSL Gold

Veteran

"They took our jehbs! Der der der!"
    Last edited by RoadFan; 04-08-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Comparisons of WWE wrestling to the Jets offense in 3....2.....

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Comparisons of WWE wrestling to the Jets offense in 3....2.....
    No comparison as the WWE actually has some entertainment value

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    No comparison as the WWE actually has some entertainment value

Grossing and netting are 2 different things. After paying off WWE and everyone else involved I imagine the Stadium owners made maybe 400k each or maybe they just leased the stadium to WWE for the event - but in that case the stadium made money on food and parking and merchandise. 400k for Jets and 400k for Giants sounds about right - and that's net - after all costs involved. Not a bad payday for 1 night.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post

Rise of the mooks.

Idiocracy.

DC
    I heard the parking lot was filled with 15,000 'lil yellow buses..... and a Beemer.

-

That's a **** ton of money for a fake "sport".

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    That's a **** ton of money for a fake "sport".
    Hey, just look at the meteoric, undeserved rise of reality TV. A huge segment of the population enjoys "fake reality."

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Hey, just look at the meteoric, undeserved rise of reality TV. A huge segment of the population enjoys "fake reality."
    Understood, but to me personally I don't understand how people enjoy reality TV or wrestling. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Understood, but to me personally I don't understand how people enjoy reality TV or wrestling. I don't get it.
    Wrestling is a guy Soap Opera basically. There are characters and story lines to follow with guys getting the hell beaten out of them. Back in the day, it was very simple. Good guy gets cheered, bad guy does bad things to good guy. Good guy gets retribution and justice is served.

Today, it's much more complicated as it's not so black and white.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I wonder how WWE stacks up against the Burlington Coat factory once a year super sale?

Jets Insider VIP
    Man I loved wrestling in the 80s. Glad to see it is still doing so well. Vince McMahon is a very smart man.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Wrestling is a guy Soap Opera basically. There are characters and story lines to follow with guys getting the hell beaten out of them. Back in the day, it was very simple. Good guy gets cheered, bad guy does bad things to good guy. Good guy gets retribution and justice is served.

Today, it's much more complicated as it's not so black and white.
    Please, It is not a guy thing. it is a kid thing. Some kids just don't grow up. My kids are 9 years apart and I was subjected to it twice.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Man I loved wrestling in the 80s. Glad to see it is still doing so well. Vince McMahon is a very smart man.
    All joking aside, it really is phenomenal how the WWf has lasted SO long. I was guessing it on life support 5+ years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post

Rise of the mooks.

Idiocracy.

DC
    LOL...so true.

"As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species."

Jets Insider VIP
    The day after Christmas 1986, my dad took a buddy and I to MSG for an event w/ the main event being Hogan vs Kamala. it was just awesome.

I have great childhood memories from wrestling as it was a huge part of my life for a few years.