Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 cuts

2014 cuts

Looking at the 14 cap some top heavy contracts that have been anchoring us down look very team friendly next year, if Idzik truly wants to blow it up next year he has the chance.

His hands are tied this year with Holmes, Harris, Sanchez and cro's 13 contracts, all can be let go with little dead money and a healthy cap saving next year.

Does anyone know what our cap space would be if we cut all of the above? their contracts would suggest the writings on the wall for all them.

If Brick and Mangold are the only mega paydays on this roster going into the 14 season, ill be fairly happy with the rebuilding process thus far.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

All are potential cuts, but of course there has to be a feasible replacement/upgrade plan available. On the other hand their individual and the teams' performance in 2013 is how they'll indicate their worthines to remain or attractiveness to other teams via trade

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    All are potential cuts, but of course there has to be a feasible replacement/upgrade plan available. On the other hand their individual and the teams' performance in 2013 is how they'll indicate their worthines to remain or attractiveness to other teams via trade
    Yes their 2013 performance will determine what happens, obviously might not cut them if they play at a pro bowl level.

In regards to replacing them, that's why I would like to see our cap space with all of these players cut.

With comp picks and the potential to be a player in FA with huge cap space, all of these guys seem a lock to be cut by design of their contracts.
    Last edited by Harrier; 04-08-2013 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Mistake

If we trade revis I think cromartie is a lock to stay on the roster, unless the fort office feels the corner market has become such a bargain salary wise that it's not worth paying Cro big money .. Sanchez, unless a miracle takes place this year, is a goner and I think I'd have to say the same for Harris as all we heard the last two years is how we want to get faster on defense..

Of course all of this hinges on if Rex stays after this year.. Him leaving could alter a lot of players futures moving forward, Harris specifically because I know Rex really likes him, if Rex were to stay it could increase his chances of not being cut. Cro would also almost certainly stay under Rex.

Assuming those players actually play at a high level, why would you want to cut them? Cro is coming off his best season as a pro. There's no reason to think Harris would not rebound from a rather average season. Sanchez is as good as gone after this season. Brick and Mangold are the very foundation of this team and are still highly productive players.

Most people would think that is a nice building block.

Now, if their play does truly slip? Maybe you give cutting them some thought. But right now I can see no good reason.

Hall Of Fame
    Holmes, Harris and Sanchez will all be off the team. I'd be shocked if any of them are here in 2014.

Cro will have his contract redone. Especially if Revis isn't here. I'd be shocked if he was cut. He has pretty much become the leader of the team which is absurd when you consider the reputation he has before he got here.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Mangold if he has another "down" year. I think they will try to get him to take a pay cut, if anything. Too much dead money and I don't think they will want to leave a gaping void at Center for a new QB.

Brick might get his contract redone too. A little extension with front-side cap relief for the Jets.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 04-08-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Assuming those players actually play at a high level, why would you want to cut them? Cro is coming off his best season as a pro. There's no reason to think Harris would not rebound from a rather average season. Sanchez is as good as gone after this season. Brick and Mangold are the very foundation of this team and are still highly productive players.

Now, if their play does truly slip? Maybe you give cutting them some thought. But right now I can see no good reason.
    This.

Everyone has "cut the people who make a big salary" on their brains, regardless of their true worth.

One season at a time. This season is going to evaluate a lot.

All Pro
    If you look at Jason's sight, there are still some contracts on there (until it is completely updated) that will be off (Pouha $6.66 million).

With almost certainty, I can say Tebow's contract will be off as well ($895,000). So there is basically $7.5 million from what Jason has listed.

Here is my predictions on players not on the team:
    Sanchez ($13.1 million/$4.8 dead)
    Holmes ($10.75 million/$1.2 dead)
    Revis ($6.0 million)
    McElroy ($660,000)

So, there you have almost $30 million in savings, but $6 million dead money, which is a hard to swallow, but.....

You then have Cromartie's deal, which is $10.75 million/$1.25 dead, and Harris' deal ($7 million/$2 million dead).

D'brick and Nick could be extended as well.

All in all, if you take the $7.5 million from the first two, and the $30 million which I think are pretty much slam-dunk, that will take another $37.5 million off the books. Our cap value next year is just under $90 million, so the Jets will have roughly $54 million on the books. Sounds great, but that would only leave the team with 21 players under contract (minus our picks from this year). Figuring in the 2013 picks and the dead money, we may have about $50 million to spend, but it will have to sign about 20 odd players.

I've said it in about 100 other threads: The team at the start of the 2014 season will be COMPLETELY different than what started the 2012; more than half of the players will be gone.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Holmes, Harris and Sanchez will all be off the team. I'd be shocked if any of them are here in 2014.

Cro will have his contract redone. Especially if Revis isn't here. I'd be shocked if he was cut. He has pretty much become the leader of the team which is absurd when you consider the reputation he has before he got here.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Mangold if he has another "down" year. I think they will try to get him to take a pay cut, if anything. Too much dead money and I don't think they will want to leave a gaping void at Center for a new QB.

Brick might get his contract redone too. A little extension with front-side cap relief for the Jets.
    I think Harris will have a good year and they'll work something out with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    If you look at Jason's sight, there are still some contracts on there (until it is completely updated) that will be off (Pouha $6.66 million).

With almost certainty, I can say Tebow's contract will be off as well ($895,000). So there is basically $7.5 million from what Jason has listed.

Here is my predictions on players not on the team:
    Sanchez ($13.1 million/$4.8 dead)
    Holmes ($10.75 million/$1.2 dead)
    Revis ($6.0 million)
    McElroy ($660,000)

So, there you have almost $30 million in savings, but $6 million dead money, which is a hard to swallow, but.....

You then have Cromartie's deal, which is $10.75 million/$1.25 dead, and Harris' deal ($7 million/$2 million dead).

D'brick and Nick could be extended as well.

All in all, if you take the $7.5 million from the first two, and the $30 million which I think are pretty much slam-dunk, that will take another $37.5 million off the books. Our cap value next year is just under $90 million, so the Jets will have roughly $54 million on the books. Sounds great, but that would only leave the team with 21 players under contract (minus our picks from this year). Figuring in the 2013 picks and the dead money, we may have about $50 million to spend, but it will have to sign about 20 odd players.

I've said it in about 100 other threads: The team at the start of the 2014 season will be COMPLETELY different than what started the 2012; more than half of the players will be gone.
    Cromartie's contract got restructured recently and if cut next year saves 9.5 million and has 5.48 million in dead money. If Revis is traded, most likely they restructure and extend Cro to lessen that number and spread out some money. The good thing with Cro's restructure this year was that they did not extend him, so if for some reason they do sign Revis it still enables them to cut Cro and save a lot of money.

What is with the obssession with getting tons of cap space? So we can overpay for Free agents from other teams? What is wrong with Cro?

We needed to get rid of the scrubs like SCott/Pace/E Smith/Thomas etc this year. And we did. We need to get rid of Holmes/Sanchez and probably ask Harris to take a paycut, but lets not get crazy and start cutting high level players for the sake having cap space.

Also we are YEARS away from having to pay to a franchise QB mega-money (we don't even have one on the roster and if we get lucky and draft one this year he would still be years away from a big deal).

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

I think Harris' struggles had a lot to do with the other linebackers too. They were slow and old. Looks like Rex sees the light now and we are revamping. Smart move. I think this defense will surprise in 2013.

cap wise we will be fine next year. What we need is the young talent on this team to continue to develop so we have a base to build on. This is a very young team right now.

I have absolutely no issue payin Brick and Mangold going forward, a good C and LT are always going to come at a premium.

The question is whether Idzik wants to cut to the bone and abolish the albatross contracts given by the previous regime.

All the contracts of the above mentioned players will allow him to do this, for me even a pro bowl won't save them but I could be wrong.

Someone mentioned about the obsession with cap space, my obsession is that if you have it you can maintain depth and add good players in positions of need.

Good drafting and a healthy amount of cap space can provide sustained success.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    I have absolutely no issue payin Brick and Mangold going forward, a good C and LT are always going to come at a premium.

The question is whether Idzik wants to cut to the bone and abolish the albatross contracts given by the previous regime.

All the contracts of the above mentioned players will allow him to do this, for me even a pro bowl won't save them but I could be wrong.

Someone mentioned about the obsession with cap space, my obsession is that if you have it you can maintain depth and add good players in positions of need.

Good drafting and a healthy amount of cap space can provide sustained success.
    Agreed. It doesnt mean you have to go out and sign a few high priced free agents, but rather sign a bunch of solid starters and add depth to the roster. If there is a guy that you think is a must have, then you have the ammo to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Looking at the 14 cap some top heavy contracts that have been anchoring us down look very team friendly next year, if Idzik truly wants to blow it up next year he has the chance.

His hands are tied this year with Holmes, Harris, Sanchez and cro's 13 contracts, all can be let go with little dead money and a healthy cap saving next year.

Does anyone know what our cap space would be if we cut all of the above? their contracts would suggest the writings on the wall for all them.

If Brick and Mangold are the only mega paydays on this roster going into the 14 season, ill be fairly happy with the rebuilding process thus far.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary14.html
    Just add up the right column and it will tell you how much we can save:

Sanchez - $8.3
    Cro - $9.5
    Holmes - $8.25
    Harris - $5

Total $31M

Revis will cost us $3M if we trade him. That's what makes me think in the final analysis that Cromartie goes, not Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed. It doesnt mean you have to go out and sign a few high priced free agents, but rather sign a bunch of solid starters and add depth to the roster. If there is a guy that you think is a must have, then you have the ammo to get them.
    Exactly, as much as I like Cro and Harris, the incentive to cut them for a new GM will be difficult to resist regardless of their level of play.

Build depth, the odd nice pick up, and as you say the ammo behind you should you need it are the way I hope we go.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Cromartie's contract got restructured recently and if cut next year saves 9.5 million and has 5.48 million in dead money. If Revis is traded, most likely they restructure and extend Cro to lessen that number and spread out some money. The good thing with Cro's restructure this year was that they did not extend him, so if for some reason they do sign Revis it still enables them to cut Cro and save a lot of money.
    Agreed 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Just add up the right column and it will tell you how much we can save:

Sanchez - $8.3
    Cro - $9.5
    Holmes - $8.25
    Harris - $5

Total $31M

Revis will cost us $3M if we trade him. That's what makes me think in the final analysis that Cromartie goes, not Revis.
    Yeah I got that, than deduct the dead money, and add this years carryover if any.

Is that about right?

fact is the Jets should have upwards of 40+ million in cap room in 2014 once Revis and Sanchez are off the books. Holmes is the next most likely to depart, followed by Harris if his play doesn't dramatically improve. Cromartie is safe if he has another good season.

Mangold and Ferguson are prime candidates for extensions given their high cap numbers and the low FA market we saw this offseason. They'd be extended for fair deals that will lower their cap numbers. Cromartie is also a candidate for an extension (2-3 years) if he plays at the same level. That would also free up cap space.

So while in 2014 the Jets have 40+ million in cap room, there will also only be about 30-35 players on the roster. And there's not a flashy group of free agents available next offseason.

The real benefit of next year's tremendous cap space will be our ability to front-load extensions for guys like Wilkerson and Kerley, sign maybe 1 big-name FA, and carry over cap space to 2015. We'll have a lot of space in 2014 but nowhere to spend it.

Idzik knows we have tons of cap space in 2014 and he's using that as some leverage in the Bucs trade talk. We can easily extend Revis a fair deal - one that front-loads his earnings and one that keeps us well under the cap for 4-5 years... keep in mind that, if we magically find a star QB in this draft or the next draft, they cannot sign cap-busting deals until their rookie contract is up, as per the new CBA. That gives the Jets ample cap room to keep anyone, any high priced player for the next 4-5 years.

While I'm convinced Revis is gone, it's that very fact that allows us the opportunity to keep him. Losing Revis saves money for a big QB... but we literally cannot pay big QB money until 2017. It's just not possible under the new CBA. Advantage Jets. And it ensures a roster spot for any overpriced star until that period.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 04-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.