Thread: Zombie Cicadas?

Jets Insider VIP

Zombie Cicadas?

Ok not quite but still pretty cool...

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...151907579.html

Veteran
    Lots of fun coming to an area near you:

It’s not a welcomed reunion, but after 17 years the cicadas are set to return to the East Coast.

Insect experts say that starting in mid April to late May, residents from North Carolina to New England will witness the emergence of billions upon billions of the singing insects. For them to emerge, the ground has to be a mild 64 degrees, notes retired Smithsonian entomologist Gary F. Hevel. That's how, even eight inches below ground, the insects know, "It's party time."

“In places where they’re going to be present, it’s going to be spectacular. There could be as many as 1 billion cicadas emerging per square mile,” Michael Raupp, a professor of entomology at the University of Maryland, told 1010 WINS. Translation: Ick!

Cicadas spend most of their lives underground. Near the end of their lifespans they emerge to climb trees, shed their exoskeletons, sing, fly and mate. Both females and males die soon after the females lay their eggs. The next generation will emerge in 2030 to repeat the cycle all over again.

Aside from the mess and the loud mating calls, these swarms of critters are harmless. But their homecoming in the last stage of their lives is unforgettable to those who experience it thanks, in part, to how they serenade whole neighborhoods with their loud chorus of chirping.

"Most people say it is like a science-fiction movie UFO sound,” cicada researcher Dan Mozgai wrote to Yahoo News in an email.

The East Coast, he added, should expect piles of the dead insects around their homes: "They can pile up like dead leaves."

Mozgai also pointed out that in areas where old trees have been removed due to storm damage or new housing developments, cicadas won’t be seen as they "live along the root systems of the trees and need them to survive.”

The cicadas about to spring from the ground are called Brood II, and are offspring from the last cycle that showed up in 1996, reports National Geographic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    Lots of fun coming to an area near you:
    So they emerge to climb trees, fly and mate once every 17 years? Are they Southcicadas?

The only thing I think of whenever I hear the word "cicada" is Terrapin Station. I know, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    So they emerge to climb trees, fly and mate once every 17 years? Are they Southcicadas?
    they die shortly after mating.

which is what i think would happen iffin softside ever got laid.

Jets Insider VIP
    They are big & clumsy insects, Im sure the bird population is licking their prospective beaks right now.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I'm gonna hook up an ac unit to a generator and chill my grounds... problem solved and as a bonus southcicadia will stay buried another 17 years

Zzzhhhh zzzhhhhh zzzhhh woot!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by jetswin; 04-09-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    is licking their prospective beaks right now.
    Hah?

Anyhoo, every year they tell us "generation X" is burrowing up through the ground and it never happens. I do remember it being bad in the 70's, though.

Hopefully they enjoy eating Raccoons.

-

With Cicadas come the Cicada Killer Wasp...

They're like the B-52 of the bug world. I remember being chased by one...I ran like a little girl in pigtails

Last edited by Jetfan61; 04-09-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty sure the ones in my neighborhood got drowned in sea water.

The pit bulls will get the survivors.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan61 View Post
    With Cicadas come the Cicada Killer Wasp...

They're like the B-52 of the bug world. I remember being chased by one...I ran like a little girl in pigtails

I remember, it must have been the last 17 year outbreak in like 96 being 10 years old running around with tennis rackets trying to kill those huge ass wasps!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I remember, it must have been the last 17 year outbreak in like 96 being 10 years old running around with tennis rackets trying to kill those huge ass wasps!
    Too easy. Grow some balls and use a stickball bat.

tennis rackets are used to hunt turkeys, not wasps.

newb

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Do those wasps sting?

I vaguely remember seeing one crawl out of the ground and nearly ****ting myself

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I swear to god, we were on a construction site and one flew in front of a moving car and got hit. Knocked it out..I slammed the f*cker with a shovel.

Last edited by Jetfan61; 04-09-2013 at 02:03 PM.