Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Saints sign Jim Leonhard

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Saints sign Jim Leonhard

@FootballPost: Saints sign Jim Leonhard http://t.co/zd1PsWGh7s

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol

Hasn't been a capable starter since 09.

Good luck with that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit OT, but are both safety positions for the Jets still empty of starters?
    That position could be a real weakspot for the Jets if they dont plan on bringing in a veteran soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are too many weakspots to name on this team

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Should help Rob install the Ryan defense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for Jim. He will bring some accountability and toughness to a defense that was historically bad last year. Should fit seamlessly in Rob's system.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised Idzik didn't grab him. I mean after all isn't this exactly what he's done thus far? Injury prone players with upside? Leonhard was never a supreme athlete, but he knows the Ryan defense as well as any player. Plus it wasn't as though Idzik would need to pay top dollar for him.

And who knows, maybe he's got one more complete season in him? I thought he would be a nice stop gap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm surprised Idzik didn't grab him. I mean after all isn't this exactly what he's done thus far? Injury prone players with upside? Leonhard was never a supreme athlete, but he knows the Ryan defense as well as any player. Plus it wasn't as though Idzik would need to pay top dollar for him.

And who knows, maybe he's got one more complete season in him? I thought he would be a nice stop gap.
    +1 What he lacked in athleticism he more than made up for in leadership and his ability to read offences as the QB of the D backs. Always liked the guy. Good luck Jim!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

That would have been real discouraging though. We spent last year really upgrading our secondary only to go back to the guy we let go when he's two years older. Not saying I don't see the logic, but I'd rather see the team go in a different direction.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That would have been real discouraging though. We spent last year really upgrading our secondary only to go back to the guy we let go when he's two years older. Not saying I don't see the logic, but I'd rather see the team go in a different direction.
    Im all for that too, but it seems like they are not doing a single thing to address the Safety position...BOTH of them.

I realize guys like Bell, and Leonhard are old and non playmakers, but who exactly is Rex planning on starting at either of the S positions?....

Young guys from last year that didnt play?
    Draft rookies and toss them in there?
    Either of those two options would benefit from some sort of veteran leadership.

This is really concerning imo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously the Saints want to have the worst pass defense in the NFL next season.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    heard the hosts on sirius discussing

said it may be a hire to teach the youngsters the D and cut him before the season ... hope not for Jimmie's sake, but if they pick anyone athletic up at S in the draft it may be their best move

ljr

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    heard the hosts on sirius discussing

said it may be a hire to teach the youngsters the D and cut him before the season ... hope not for Jimmie's sake, but if they pick anyone athletic up at S in the draft it may be their best move

ljr
    Jimmy doesn't deserve that- he's only going to turn 31 this season.