Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 102

Thread: What's really wrong with the jets?

  1. #81
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    In Rex's first two years the team was built to win it all and he came up woefully small.
    "Built to win it all" in 2009 with a rookie QB and Jerricho Cotchery / Chansi Stuckey as the starting WRs on opening day. Got it.

    Your team has had "The Greatest Head Coach of All Time" and "The Greatest Quarterback of All Time" for over a decade now, and when is the last time they won a Super Bowl? I guess winning the AFC Championship Game with Brady and Belichick is an achievement, but losing the AFC Championship Game as a rookie head coach' is "coming up woefully small".

  2. #82
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,117
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    In my 25 years in business and helping businesses , through experience...LUCK is the least important factor to success.

    It is a VERY relevant factor to those who haven't succeeded in pointing at those who have.

    Football seems about the same.




    Not true.... but there is a winning formula, followed by many teams who win. We dont do that well or as well as winning teams. Its called the draft.
    You're right in principle that you don't win football games against elite teams without doing something right. And if you're in a position to win on a fluke play or a game-saving catch, that says something too. Of course luck is a factor. As it is in life. But as Napoleon once said: Genius is knowing how to take advantage of luck." To argue that it's all about hard work is actually pretty nave. So many variables in business or life are not in our control. But how we respond to those variables does indeed matter. This we do control. Positioning for depth and adaptability through the draft and wise use of FA is indeed the mark of a quality team. Football in inherently a risk business. Injuries can destroy a season if you haven't got someone to step up. The best teams seem to always find a way to do that.

  3. #83
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    You're right in principle that you don't win football games against elite teams without doing something right. And if you're in a position to win on a fluke play or a game-saving catch, that says something too. Of course luck is a factor. As it is in life. But as Napoleon once said: Genius is knowing how to take advantage of luck." To argue that it's all about hard work is actually pretty nave. So many variables in business or life are not in our control. But how we respond to those variables does indeed matter. This we do control. Positioning for depth and adaptability through the draft and wise use of FA is indeed the mark of a quality team. Football in inherently a risk business. Injuries can destroy a season if you haven't got someone to step up. The best teams seem to always find a way to do that.
    I can easily agree with that. BUT.... I still believe hard work is the main ingredient. BY FAR.

  4. #84
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7,370
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    brady is way overhyped. put a helmet on him and he folds. he succeeds because his oline keeps the rush off him.
    The idea that he gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds as someone said, is simply not true. I have counted and he regular stands in the pocket like a statue for 10 seconds before he finds something he likes.

  5. #85
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    In my 25 years in business and helping businesses , through experience...LUCK is the least important factor to success.

    It is a VERY relevant factor to those who haven't succeeded in pointing at those who have.

    Football seems about the same.




    Not true.... but there is a winning formula, followed by many teams who win. We dont do that well or as well as winning teams. Its called the draft.
    Well we agree on something..

  6. #86
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I can easily agree with that. BUT.... I still believe hard work is the main ingredient. BY FAR.
    hard work is always important.

    But building an NFL franchise takes a bit of luck too. Jets have back to back #1 overall picks, they get a good WR and an ILB who got good when he left the team. The next year, the best QB prospect in a decade comes out. That's luck.

    KC has the worst record in the NFL one year too late. Bad on them. Justin Miller returns a punt for a TD, so instead of drafting reggie Bush (who I wanted) we are screwed and get a very good LT who hasn't missed a game in 6 years. Marino falling to the Dolphins, some luck there. They took advantage, but some luck. Sapp to the Bucs when all the Jets fans are chanting "We want Sapp", some luck there. Sure, they took advantage, but some luck involved.

  7. #87
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The Giants won their last 2 bowls with 9-7,10-6 records they just got hot at the right time..
    Shhhh, don't confuse people.

  8. #88
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    hard work is always important.

    But building an NFL franchise takes a bit of luck too. Jets have back to back #1 overall picks, they get a good WR and an ILB who got good when he left the team. The next year, the best QB prospect in a decade comes out. That's luck.

    KC has the worst record in the NFL one year too late. Bad on them. Justin Miller returns a punt for a TD, so instead of drafting reggie Bush (who I wanted) we are screwed and get a very good LT who hasn't missed a game in 6 years. Marino falling to the Dolphins, some luck there. They took advantage, but some luck. Sapp to the Bucs when all the Jets fans are chanting "We want Sapp", some luck there. Sure, they took advantage, but some luck involved.
    Short term your points are fair but over 40 years, teams like Steelers, Pats, Ravens etc... Have more than luck on their side.

    SAPP, MARINO??? Luck? yes but in both cases we let lady luck walk.

    Jets management, albeit former mgmt , acts like they know better.

    We traded picks for a one year experienced USC QB. that's not bad luck..that's high risk.

  9. #89
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Short term your points are fair but over 40 years, teams like Steelers, Pats, Ravens etc... Have more than luck on their side.

    SAPP, MARINO??? Luck? yes but in both cases we let lady luck walk.

    Jets management, albeit former mgmt , acts like they know better.

    We traded picks for a one year experienced USC QB. that's not bad luck..that's high risk.
    Ever hear of the Steelers immaculate reception?? If you want to say some years if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all that I can agree with.. The highlighted part is a good point.. It reminds me of fans that think with the aid of hindsight they always know better..

  10. #90
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Ever hear of the Steelers immaculate reception?? If you want to say some years if we didn't have bad luck we wouldn't have any luck at all that I can agree with.. The highlighted part is a good point.. It reminds me of fans that think with the aid of hindsight they always know better..
    5 Superbowls? they didn't win the SB that year BTW. Could be wrong but I believe the Dolphins did.

    we were lucky that Peyton was benched in 2009.

    Long term..luck is secondary.

  11. #91
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    5 Superbowls? they didn't win the SB that year BTW. Could be wrong but I believe the Dolphins did.

    we were lucky that Peyton was benched in 2009.

    Long term..luck is secondary.
    They won bowls when they got superior play from the QB.. In 90% of the cases that's the main factor..

  12. #92
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    5 Superbowls? they didn't win the SB that year BTW. Could be wrong but I believe the Dolphins did.

    we were lucky that Peyton was benched in 2009.

    Long term..luck is secondary.
    Unless your the Giants.

  13. #93
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Unless your the Giants.
    Or jealous JETS fans. 4 SBs is not luck.

    I'm done on this subject ....

  14. #94
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Relax dude. I'm far from jealous but to say the giants were fortunate in the their last two Super Bowl runs is an understatement.


    All teams get lucky that's the game of football. but the gmen just happened to have it when it matters most. Fumbles, dropped picks, Hail Marys, missed FG's, blown coverages, great catches are all a part of the game and happen. I'm far from mad or jealous but it is what it is.

    The giants didn't win the last two superboels in dominating fashion like say Dallas in the 90's.

    but they did win by playing good defense somewhat mistake free football(eli threw terrible balls that weren't intercepted ) capitalizing off the other teams mistakes and seizing the opportunities when they presented themselves. And making those plays during the game they had to make.(Chase Blackburns INT comes to mind.)

    Still super lucky.

  15. #95
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,485
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets had/have holes...
    But the play at QB is the number 1 problem.

    People make all sorts of excuses, but go look at the stats, David Carr was absolutely destroyed his first 3-4 years (sacked twice as much) and put up similiar stats (yards, better completion ratio and similiar td-int ratio) to Sanchez.

    Joey Harrington in 76 starts - threw 79 Tds and 81 Ints vs Sanchez in 62 starts throwing for 68 Tds and 69 Ints... 181 yards/game vs 195 yards/game...

    Sanchez might be slightly better, but he's still in that class of QB.

  16. #96
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is our biggest problem by far:




    If you disagree you are beyond naive.

  17. #97
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Short term your points are fair but over 40 years, teams like Steelers, Pats, Ravens etc... Have more than luck on their side.

    SAPP, MARINO??? Luck? yes but in both cases we let lady luck walk.

    Jets management, albeit former mgmt , acts like they know better.

    We traded picks for a one year experienced USC QB. that's not bad luck..that's high risk.


    Thank you...

    And then the Jets will cap it off with no PLAN for developing the one year rookie QB and then say "wow how come he isn't Tom Brady in year two or three"!!!! utter maddness!!!!!

  18. #98
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The idea that he gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds as someone said, is simply not true. I have counted and he regular stands in the pocket like a statue for 10 seconds before he finds something he likes.
    Actually it's more like 2.5 seconds. I'm talking about average time from snap to throw. Most of his plays are off in less than 2 seconds. They do run a lot of picks, which helps. I'm not saying he doesn't hold the ball sometimes, just that the Pats plays are quick developing, and Brady gets the ball out too quickly for a pass rusher to get to him. Then teams start dropping more guys into coverage. Then they call a play over the top, and Brady has all day to throw. My point is that any sack over 3 seconds should be on the QB. That coupled with the TEs, and RBs lack of blocking makes our line look worse than it is.

  19. #99
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    This is our biggest problem by far:




    If you disagree you are beyond naive.
    I think we have more playoff wins under this guy than under the entire rest of our history, but yeah, he's the problem.

  20. #100
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think we have more playoff wins under this guy than under the entire rest of our history, but yeah, he's the problem.
    Agreed on the stats ...but he meddles like Jerry Jones.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us