Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's really wrong with the jets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

What's really wrong with the jets?

I was stunned the other day listening to a season preview on nfl radio for the afc east. The talked about the jets and their perception was that our offensive line was great but we fell short because of a lack of talent in the skill positions. I know we're not great in skill positions but I feel we're serviceable there. My personal evaluation of the team is if we can fix the o line and outside linebacker positions that this team could be better than people think.

In your opinion what part of the team needs to be fixed most? The o li e or the skill positions?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB, QB, and QB. OLB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    QB, QB, and QB.
    This. And not in that order.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    When one team in your division has a Tom Brady, a Gronkowski, wes welker, a bill bellichick then you need an Adrian Peterson type of player to compete. We don't have that one guy that scares other teams on Offense. In addition we have a QB that has had a nervous breakdown and may be a Humpty Dumpty.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I was stunned the other day listening to a season preview on nfl radio for the afc east. The talked about the jets and their perception was that our offensive line was great but we fell short because of a lack of talent in the skill positions. I know we're not great in skill positions but I feel we're serviceable there. My personal evaluation of the team is if we can fix the o line and outside linebacker positions that this team could be better than people think.

In your opinion what part of the team needs to be fixed most? The o li e or the skill positions?
    Brady gets rid of the ball in 3 seconds. What do you think that would do for our oline?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    This. And not in that order.
    Arguably...it goes back to Pennington.

having a slightly above average QB that clearly couldn't stay healthy. We knew this in 2003 and did nothing major until 2009.

Clemens aside...

I say it falls on management. Yes we have no Qb..but teams that allow this? Management.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    When one team in your division has a Tom Brady, a Gronkowski, wes welker, a bill bellichick then you need an Adrian Peterson type of player to compete. We don't have that one guy that scares other teams on Offense. In addition we have a QB that has had a nervous breakdown and may be a Humpty Dumpty.
    If the patriots lost all those players...we would still have Sanchez and suck.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    QB, QB, and QB. OLB
    True. But finding a franchise QB is very difficult.
    However, if you rebuild our O-line, it'll make the skill position guys a lot better.
    Sanchez desperately needs a running game and time to throw the ball. He doesn't have the skill to succeed without it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

A MILLION TIMES THIS, THIS, THIS!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    If the patriots lost all those players...we would still have Sanchez and suck.
    If the Pats lost Brady the playing field is instantly even. One of the biggest reasons Sanchez sucked was all the confusion on Offense. New OC, new receivers, injuries, Tebow. He played well at times and sucked other times eg game against Indy at home.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arguably...it goes back to Pennington.

having a slightly above average QB that clearly couldn't stay healthy. We knew this in 2003 and did nothing major until 2009.

Clemens aside...

I say it falls on management. Yes we have no Qb..but teams that allow this? Management.
    If that guy would have turned into even a decent QB, that 2006 draft would have to be considered the best in Jets history.

As for the rest of your post, you're partially correct. Bradway crippled this team when he gave Pennington that monster (at the time) contract in '03. Especially when you consider that he made that offer when Penny was coming off of the first of many injuries, that was a terrible move.

But one thing you can't fault Tanny for was the QB situation. In his first year as GM, he got Chad to take a big pay cut and then drafted Clemens. When Clemens bombed in 2007, he went after Favre in 2008. The year after that he drafted Sanchez.

You can blame him for not bringing in anyone to compete with Sanchez, but you can't argue that he aggressively tried to address the QB position multiple times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the mini rant but what's really wrong with the Jets is that the team has a majorly incompetent owner... one who hasn't got a clue or concept of what good management means. He has never managed anything succefully in his entire silver-spoon life. He meddles and dictates from behind the scenes and makes selling PSLs, tickets and making headlines his priority over anything else. For example, to believe that acquiring Tebow was not exclusively Woody's command is just delusional.

He is the reason for the team's inability to succeed just like Hess was the problem through the 70's - 90's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    True. But finding a franchise QB is very difficult.
    However, if you rebuild our O-line, it'll make the skill position guys a lot better.
    Sanchez desperately needs a running game and time to throw the ball. He doesn't have the skill to succeed without it.
    The oline was fine. The backs, and TEs can't block so teams blitzed, or stunted every down last year. Sanchez also can't read blitzes so anything outside of Mangold's vision(outside the tackles) is a problem. Sanchez needs to read the play, slide protections, then negotiate the safety, and deliver the ball. That would elevate the skill positions. Good luck with that happening though.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Pats lost Brady the playing field is instantly even. One of the biggest reasons Sanchez sucked was all the confusion on Offense. New OC, new receivers, injuries, Tebow. He played well at times and sucked other times eg game against Indy at home.
    The reason Sanchez sucked is because he sucks. Stop blaming everything else.

The Jets didn't ruin Sanchez. When he came here in 2009, this team was built perfectly for a rookie QB: dominant O-Line, premiere running game, and a top-rated defense (the best in the league, in fact). You couldn't ask for a better situation.

The problem is the front office couldn't keep all of those pieces for long. Guys getting old, and cap constraints eventually catch up to you. The hope was by Year 3 and 4, Sanchez would mature and improve his game to the point where the team could lean on him...you know, the same way teams with great QBs often tend to do. They hoped our QB could keep us competitive through the lean cap years, and then 2014 and beyond could be the big push for a title.

Instead what we got were INTs left and right, butt-fumbles, and complete and utter ineptitude. That's all on Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Sorry for the mini rant but what's really wrong with the Jets is that the team has a majorly incompetent owner... one who hasn't got a clue or concept of what good management means. He has never managed anything succefully in his entire silver-spoon life. He meddles and dictates from behind the scenes and makes selling PSLs, tickets and making headlines his priority over anything else. For example, to believe that acquiring Tebow was not exclusively Woody's command is just delusional.

He is the reason for the team's inability to succeed just like Hess was the problem through the 70's - 90's.
    Okay. How do you explain our very good record over the past 10 years, despite not having a good QB? It's not easy to win in the NFL. 80% of the league has a worse record than we do. Don't buy into the media hate. Kraft is a genius because he fell into Brady.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that guy would have turned into even a decent QB, that 2006 draft would have to be considered the best in Jets history.

As for the rest of your post, you're partially correct. Bradway crippled this team when he gave Pennington that monster (at the time) contract in '03. Especially when you consider that he made that offer when Penny was coming off of the first of many injuries, that was a terrible move.

But one thing you can't fault Tanny for was the QB situation. In his first year as GM, he got Chad to take a big pay cut and then drafted Clemens. When Clemens bombed in 2007, he went after Favre in 2008. The year after that he drafted Sanchez.

You can blame him for not bringing in anyone to compete with Sanchez, but you can't argue that he aggressively tried to address the QB position multiple times.
    I know ..thats why a few of us "older" posters (im 50) believe in the curse.
    If even Sanchez played to his 2009 2010 potential this thread wouldn't be needed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The JETS need concern themselves with The Jets not the PATS. That was my point. But I agree with you above.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know ..thats why a few of us "older" posters (im 50) believe in the curse.
    If even Sanchez played to his 2009 2010 potential this thread wouldn't be needed.
    I'm 34. While not as much as you, I have experienced my fair share of Jet-induced misery.

I was a big supporter of Sanchez up to this past season. But if you go back and watch that 2010 season, he really didn't play well for big parts of that year. The more I think about it, the more I think the talent on that team overcame Mark's many shortcomings.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason Sanchez sucked is because he sucks. Stop blaming everything else.

Instead what we got were INTs left and right, butt-fumbles, and complete and utter ineptitude. That's all on Sanchez.
    I wish everything were as simple as you imply; I'm not a Sanchez guy but he has had his moments and has looked very good during his first few years. It is easy to say he sucks because of last year when the team was completely disoriented and Sanchez lost his composure. He didn't step up. I think he is broke but who knows. You seem to have all the answers so I'll defer to your obvious wisdom.