Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The quickest way to fix our offense: Warmack and the best available tackle!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    How are they scoring points? Pancake blocks don't count.

The skill positions need a serious upgrade.

I don't understand why anyone thinks its a good idea to have 3 first round picks on the OL but none of the skill positions.
    First the jets have not used a first rd pick on a Olinman in what 7 years? how long do you think mangold and Dbrick are going to be on the team after thier salary outweighs their performance?

Cooper and Warmack are two of the safest picks in the draft,and they play a position of need. A great or at least an improved oline will serve as the foundation for the future offense. WR and QBs need time, rbs need holes.
    Good line play will allow a higher level of performance from all the skill players

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    First the jets have not used a first rd pick on a Olinman in what 7 years? how long do you think mangold and Dbrick are going to be on the team after thier salary outweighs their performance?

Cooper and Warmack are two of the safest picks in the draft,and they play a position of need. A great or at least an improved oline will serve as the foundation for the future offense. WR and QBs need time, rbs need holes.
    Good line play will allow a higher level of performance from all the skill players
    How many first round guards have the Pats drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    I think if we had a great OL the last 2 years, we would have made the playoffs.

Also, Sanchez may have actually developed and not regressed.
    Sorry gotta disagree here. The rest of the team just has no firepower, certainly not enough that a stud OL couold have put them over the top, how is this even a debate? As for Sanchez, at what point is it his fault for not developing? Who gets the blame for Nagle & Clemens, or were they just bad QBs to begin with? I tend to believe all 3 were just bad QBs from jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Sorry gotta disagree here. The rest of the team just has no firepower, certainly not enough that a stud OL couold have put them over the top, how is this even a debate? As for Sanchez, at what point is it his fault for not developing? Who gets the blame for Nagle & Clemens, or were they just bad QBs to begin with? I tend to believe all 3 were just bad QBs from jump.
    Yeah, maybe.

But I do think the team could have been 1 or 2 games better in 11 with an elite OL and that could have aided Sanchez's confidence and development, which could have led to a better 12 season.

A stretch, maybe. But I do believe that the OL is the foundation of the team!

The issue here, as I see it, isn't what an upgraded OL can do for any team, we all know it enhances it. The bone of contention is that somehow this idea that the Jets are a solid OL away from being a winner/contender. This team's group of skill position players has the potency of an ox (if you think that's a compliment, go find out what makes an ox an ox ). A bottom 5, if not bottom 3, QB, no RBs that scare anyone or can carry the load, and a WR corps in shambles. Until everything gets fixed as a whole (which will take at least this and next offseason IMO) there isn't a unit on O that is strong enough to uplift the lagging ones to somewhere significant.

Yeah, maybe.

But I do think the team could have been 1 or 2 games better in 11 with an elite OL and that could have aided Sanchez's confidence and development, which could have led to a better 12 season.

A stretch, maybe. But I do believe that the OL is the foundation of the team!
    As do I, as do anyone with a proper grasp of football. My position is that the remaining areas are so weak, this OL can't uplift the backs and receivers to any realm of significance. A LOT of re-tooling needs to be done.

All Pro

They haven't spent a first round pick on a RB or WR since Santana Moss either.

Brick and Mangold are fine for at least a few more years. I think 4 or 5 for both.

And it's possible to improve the OL without using a top 10 pick on a G, the least valuable position on the offense.

Warmack (or Cooper if Warmack is gone) at 9 and the best available RT in the 2nd round.

I don't understand why some don't see this. We'd have a dominant OL. A dominant offensive line ALWAYS makes the offensive players around them better...ALWAYS!!! There isn't even a question, it always works.

This is the quickest way to make our offense better!!

agreed. Thats exactly how the jets ruined sanchez last year....they paid zero attention to the O line

All Pro
    Warmack (or Cooper if Warmack is gone) at 9 and the best available RT in the 2nd round.

I don't understand why some don't see this. We'd have a dominant OL. A dominant offensive line ALWAYS makes the offensive players around them better...ALWAYS!!! There isn't even a question, it always works.

I would agree that we need to draft with attention to the OL, but every decision in the draft comes with a cost elsewhere. Generally, you don't want to use your first few picks on the lowest skill positions. We need an OLB, TE, WR, Safeties, RB, and probably a QB project. Given that and the fact that Guards can be had in the mid to lower rounds, I would argue we should go for skill positions in the first three rounds, at least. Warmack may be the exception, but if we go for him, we'd better go for skill on offense or defense for the next couple of picks.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I would agree that we need to draft with attention to the OL, but every decision in the draft comes with a cost elsewhere. Generally, you don't want to use your first few picks on the lowest skill positions. We need an OLB, TE, WR, Safeties, RB, and probably a QB project. Given that and the fact that Guards can be had in the mid to lower rounds, I would argue we should go for skill positions in the first three rounds, at least. Warmack may be the exception, but if we go for him, we'd better go for skill on offense or defense for the next couple of picks.
    THATS the problem. The so called "low skill" tag. Its BS! A stout Oline makes your quaterback MUCH better, your RB Much better

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    120% agreed.

I'm onboard with this, but I'd prefer Cooper. He seems more athletic and can play center. Also read somewhere that Warmack may not be the brightest bulb of the bunch (trouble picking up playbook).

Bewildered Beast

How many of these threads are we going to have?

Please scan the boards; the draft is still coming up. Scan the draft board as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    How many of these threads are we going to have?

Please scan the boards; the draft is still coming up. Scan the draft board as well.
    Maybe I should have started a Francessa thread??

Quote Originally Posted by dickkotite View Post
    THATS the problem. The so called "low skill" tag. Its BS! A stout Oline makes your quaterback MUCH better, your RB Much better

For obvious reasons people always focus on the first one or two picks. But the bigger question is, what do you think you can get from the rest of the draft (especially one as supposedly deep as this one)?

If you're grabbing Warmack/Cooper, is it because you think a quality pass-rusher will fall to you in a later round? And vice-versa, if you go defense, can you get a competent guard at a later point?

Going chalk, the first pick should be your "game-changer". Does that really describe a guard? Especially now that you don't have to put mega-bucks into the pick, shouldn't we shoot the moon?

I'm a glass half-full guy, so whoever we pick has my support until proven otherwise. I'll wait to see the WHOLE draft before deciding if I liked their approach, but the selfish part of me is hoping they find something more special than a road-grader to look forward to in August . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    The issue here, as I see it, isn't what an upgraded OL can do for any team, we all know it enhances it. The bone of contention is that somehow this idea that the Jets are a solid OL away from being a winner/contender. This team's group of skill position players has the potency of an ox (if you think that's a compliment, go find out what makes an ox an ox ). A bottom 5, if not bottom 3, QB, no RBs that scare anyone or can carry the load, and a WR corps in shambles. Until everything gets fixed as a whole (which will take at least this and next offseason IMO) there isn't a unit on O that is strong enough to uplift the lagging ones to somewhere significant.
    You're missing the point here. I don't believe CT is saying we are a dominant OL from becoming a contender. But if we fix the OL, we'll at least be competitive THIS season. Everyone knows it is a process.

We are not going to find a franchise QB in this years draft so you can forget about that, if that is what you are thinking. But we would be competitive while we are building the team for a run to the SB. Idzik is going to go after a franchise QB in next years draft and likely some of the other skill positions.

Also, there's a good chance Warmack or some other top notch OL prospect could be there when we pick at #9. He would likely be the BAP at that point also. I firmly believe in taking the BAP, not reaching for need.

If we do fix the OL, there's a good chance that our running game would be much better than in 2012. That combined with a QB that doesn't turn the ball over (That isn't Sanchez, but maybe Garrard?) and a good defense and you have a good chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

The team was miles better when we had Faneca and Woody. The line was consistently driving defenders off the LOS, there were huge holes for the RB's and Sanchez had much more time in the pocket. Id be happy with Warmack in the 1st, sign me up

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Wrong. The greatest OL ever assembled cant make up for a sh!tty QB.

Warmack isn't going to push the Jets to 9 or 10 wins. He will have minimal impact on the overall performance of the offense.
    Bingo. I don't get why people can't see this. What guard has ever been drafted and singlehandedly turned around a bad offense. Our guards didn't even play badly last season. Is Warmack even going to have a better season as a rookie than Moore did last year? Maybe down the road he can, but I'm not even sure he'll be an immediate upgrade. The team needs a better QB, plain and simple. You can't cover up crap time and time again by spraying cologne on it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Bingo. I don't get why people can't see this. What guard has ever been drafted and singlehandedly turned around a bad offense. Our guards didn't even play badly last season. Is Warmack even going to have a better season as a rookie than Moore did last year? Maybe down the road he can, but I'm not even sure he'll be an immediate upgrade. The team needs a better QB, plain and simple. You can't cover up crap time and time again by spraying cologne on it.
    Give it up. There's no way they are going to get a better QB this season. Idzik is planning on going after a franchise QB next season when there's a much better chance of us hitting on real talent. That would be a waste of time and picks in this draft.