Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland in two weeks... any suggestions?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Try two nights in Dingle. First night you are a guest, second night you are a local. If you are doing the Dingle or the Ring, find out which way the buses travel and go the same way. You dont want to meet one of those suckers roundin a turn.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    Try two nights in Dingle. First night you are a guest, second night you are a local. If you are doing the Dingle or the Ring, find out which way the buses travel and go the same way. You dont want to meet one of those suckers roundin a turn.
    Good advice, thanks!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    I never thought I'd get such good advice/suggestions from the hampur! Thanks a lot, I will definitely check out all of these links. Thanks for making my trip even better
    It's a wonderful place, my advise to you as an actual "Mick" from the "Auld Sod" is talk to the people. Irish people love conversation with strangers and love to make people feel at home ... if you can get out of your comfort zone and engage the Paddies everywhere you run into them, they will return it two-fold.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    It's a wonderful place, my advise to you as an actual "Mick" from the "Auld Sod" is talk to the people. Irish people love conversation with strangers and love to make people feel at home ... if you can get out of your comfort zone and engage the Paddies everywhere you run into them, they will return it two-fold.
    That's not out of my comfort zone at all! It is exactly what we want and the reason we planned the trip the way we did.

I'm a Kelly and wish I could trace the family roots but its too common to really know which bloodline is mine. I've heard that we come from Galway and I've also heard Cork. I'm checking out both counties while there

Veteran
    That's not out of my comfort zone at all! It is exactly what we want and the reason we planned the trip the way we did.

I'm a Kelly and wish I could trace the family roots but its too common to really know which bloodline is mine. I've heard that we come from Galway and I've also heard Cork. I'm checking out both counties while there
    If you have any birth certificates, or details of the parishes where your family Paddies were born that would be a great help, d.o.b. town etc. Glasnevin Museum allows you to access the National database but visits to far flung parishs and rain-sodden graveyards are joyous interaction with the once newly weds but now long deads.

West Cork (Bantry, The Beara Penninsula), Kerry (Kenmare, Dingle) along with Galway along the coast and the islands are not to be missed.

The islands Inish Mann and Inisheer are far flung barren soils, rich with people and conversation.

Your destiny calls Kelly, have fun.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    If you have any birth certificates, or details of the parishes where your family Paddies were born that would be a great help, d.o.b. town etc. Glasnevin Museum allows you to access the National database but visits to far flung parishs and rain-sodden graveyards are joyous interaction with the once newly weds but now long deads.

West Cork (Bantry, The Beara Penninsula), Kerry (Kenmare, Dingle) along with Galway along the coast and the islands are not to be missed.

The islands Inish Mann and Inisheer are far flung barren soils, rich with people and conversation.

Your destiny calls Kelly, have fun.

thanks again, I'll be sure to update this thread when I get back

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Yes. Go to Italy.
    Lol beat me to it. Right go to Italy. I'll never understand people spending that kind of money to go on an out of country vacation and they pick Ireland or Scotland(lol) even. The women in Naples will make your penis seventeen again. The women in Ireland will make you understand the male alcoholic problem rampant there.

Bewildered Beast
    You're trip won't not be the same if you take that layover in Hong Kong.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Lol beat me to it. Right go to Italy. I'll never understand people spending that kind of money to go on an out of country vacation and they pick Ireland or Scotland(lol) even. The women in Naples will make your penis seventeen again. The women in Ireland will make you understand the male alcoholic problem rampant there.
    Iffin he wanted to expose himself to swarthy, mustachioed midgets, he could just stay home and play Super Mario brothers.

-

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Iffin he wanted to expose himself to swarthy, mustachioed midgets, he could just stay home and play Super Mario brothers.

-
    L
    M
    A
    O

While you're in Ireland you might want to try Apache Pizza. Yup, the Irish now have the world famous Italian-American food, Pizza.

And the Pizza franchise is named after the native American tribe in Arizona.

http://www.apache.ie/

Jets Insider VIP

-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyJet View Post
    While you're in Ireland you might want to try Apache Pizza. Yup, the Irish now have the world famous Italian-American food, Pizza.

And the Pizza franchise is named after the native American tribe in Arizona.

http://www.apache.ie/

Yeah, but the Irish make a mean fish and chips.

All League
    Maybe that's because you're a bum and don't have money to spend on vacations.

Take plenty of money, you'll need it if your gonna have a serious session on the black stuff.

All Pro
    Maybe that's because you're a bum and don't have money to spend on vacations.
    No I have money. If I was a bum I'd think my days be better off panhandling then posting on jets insider. I go on alot of vacations just not Ireland. Maybe you're a bum and cant afford a proper European vacation. So you picked Ireland out of your azz. I hope some toothless Mick kicks the **** out of you in a drunken stupor. I like Canada too. Toronto is great

Hall Of Fame

-

All League
    No I have money. If I was a bum I'd think my days be better off panhandling then posting on jets insider. I go on alot of vacations just not Ireland. Maybe you're a bum and cant afford a proper European vacation. So you picked Ireland out of your azz. I hope some toothless Mick kicks the **** out of you in a drunken stupor. I like Canada too. Toronto is great
    you're life is a mess.

All Pro
    you're life is a mess.
    Lol that's true. Have fun

Tipping less than 50 cents because "Irish people love Kennedy" seems a little crude, in my opinion. Irish people dont have the same romantic love for all things American that they used to. They do love conversation, they dont love tourists acting like big shots.

That being said, in Galway, take a stroll down the old Long Walk, see the sunset over Galway Bay. Then go hear some traditional music in the Crane Bar.

In Dublin, guinness brewery, natch. The book of kells in trinity college is pretty amazing, and im not a huge history buff. Then walk aroung grafton street, do some shopping, hear some buskers. Next week marks the anniversary of the Irish Proclamation, i believe. If that fits, there may be ceremonies around that in Dublin.

Wherever you are, ask if there is a local team playing any hurling or gaelic football matches. Always interesting, if not for the games themselves then for the comments in the stands.

Enjoy. Ive never heard anyone have a bad time. Except for Italians jealous that our parade is bigger than theirs.