Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland in two weeks... any suggestions?

All League

Ireland in two weeks... any suggestions?

Whats up boys, I'm headed to Ireland in two weeks and wanted to know if anyone has been there and also if you have any tips for what we must do or what we should avoid.

We are flying in to Dublin, staying two nights and then renting a car and driving toward Galway. Staying 2 nights there (on a working farm) and then driving down to Kerry and staying 2 days (in a thatched cottage) and then over to Dungarvan for a night (staying on the water). Our last night will be in a castle back near Dublin.

Here is the itinerary, but we don't have any solid plans other than the rooms booked. I'm sure we will do the Blarney stone and some other tourist things, but we really want the full Irish experience, so can anyone recommend any activities or places that we must see?

Jets Insider VIP
    The Black Stuff

Early and often

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    The Black Stuff

Early and often
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that Guiness, Jameson and any other brewery/distillery is on the list! If anyone knows of any cool breweries, please speak up!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I'm planning on going there next year, so I will be very interested in finding out all I can from your experiences. As a start, can you tell me how you found out and decided on the specific places that you're visiting and the places you're staying? The working farm for instance.

Thanks in advance.

All League
    Don't know how much time you have, but from Kerry to Dungarvan, you can drive along the coast, through Clonakilty and Kinsale, et al. Nice drive and the food has come a long way.

Or from Kerry to Dungarvan, drive through Cork, the true capitol of Ireland. While in Cork, check out the English Market.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by parkwayjet1 View Post
    I'm planning on going there next year, so I will be very interested in finding out all I can from your experiences. As a start, can you tell me how you found out and decided on the specific places that you're visiting and the places you're staying? The working farm for instance.

Thanks in advance.
    We decided that we wanted the full irish experience, so we wanted to stay on a working farm, at a thatched cottage, as well as a castle. We found out the it is much cheaper if you book everything on your own, rather than going through a travel agent. Luckily my wife loves planning things and did all of the work.

She went to tripadvisor.com and read reviews of different B&B's and places to stay. That is the best way because you get real reviews from other travelers. We found that if you book the trip 6 months in advance it will be much cheaper. We recently went back online to see how much the places we booked are selling for now and it is almost double the price in some cases. Most of the places aren't even available any more because they are all booked up. The flight is more expensive now and so is the rental car. So my advice is to book early, because it will be cheaper and you have more options of places to stay.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Don't know how much time you have, but from Kerry to Dungarvan, you can drive along the coast, through Clonakilty and Kinsale, et al. Nice drive and the food has come a long way.

Or from Kerry to Dungarvan, drive through Cork, the true capitol of Ireland. While in Cork, check out the English Market.
    Thanks BigL. We will have time because we don't have anything on our plate. Just to enjoy the scenery and have a relaxing trip. I think between Kerry and Dungarvan is the Blarney castle, so I'm sure we will want to go there. We plan on driving a lot and taking tons of pictures.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    We decided that we wanted the full irish experience, so we wanted to stay on a working farm, at a thatched cottage, as well as a castle. We found out the it is much cheaper if you book everything on your own, rather than going through a travel agent. Luckily my wife loves planning things and did all of the work.

She went to tripadvisor.com and read reviews of different B&B's and places to stay. That is the best way because you get real reviews from other travelers. We found that if you book the trip 6 months in advance it will be much cheaper. We recently went back online to see how much the places we booked are selling for now and it is almost double the price in some cases. Most of the places aren't even available any more because they are all booked up. The flight is more expensive now and so is the rental car. So my advice is to book early, because it will be cheaper and you have more options of places to stay.
    Thanks for the information, and I'm glad you mentioned tripadvisor.com. I was going to check them out anyway, so that's a good recommendation. I'm worried about driving while there, based on the anecdotes I was reading in Paulie's Scotland trip thread. I'd appreciate the freedom of coming and going on my own schedule, of course, but it sounds like many those roads and drivers are none too safe. So that's another item I'll be anxious to know more about when you return.

Slea Head Drive on the Dingle Peninsula, drinks in Dingle, Ross Castle tour, Muckross House tour!

All League
    Beware! They drive on the wrong side of the road there.

From Galway to Kerry, you should pass close to Shannon. Go to Bunratty Castle. I hear they have a great dinner show. Also, Durty Nelly's bar is next door. Awesome!

cé mhead teánga ata agat? learn gaeilge.

Yes. Go to Italy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Yes. Go to Italy.
    and bring butt plugs

oh i thought you said France

probly in Italy too though

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bslumlord View Post
    Slea Head Drive on the Dingle Peninsula, drinks in Dingle, Ross Castle tour, Muckross House tour!
    thanks!

Beware! They drive on the wrong side of the road there.

Can't wait!

From Galway to Kerry, you should pass close to Shannon. Go to Bunratty Castle. I hear they have a great dinner show. Also, Durty Nelly's bar is next door. Awesome!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    cé mhead teánga ata agat? learn gaeilge.
    say what?

Yes. Go to Italy.
    no thanks, Guido.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

This is GOLD! Go to your bank and get some Kennedy half dollars. I got 80, forty bucks worth. I used them as tips. Not in place of cash, but a token of someone being extra kind (great service, advice, stories or even directions. Trust you will make someones day and your entire trip. Especially in Galway where John Fitzgerald is considered a saint.

The best $40.00 you will spend on this trip. Kiss the damn stone who cares what people say

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Don't wear orange.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bslumlord View Post

That's good advise ... I am just back from photographing a tourism guide to Dublin , the coldest March on record. I suggest you bring great rain gear and winter woolies. If you have an unseasonably warm April, you still win, the clothing will save you.

You really should make it to Connermara and even the Aran Islands if you are staying two weeks.

If you like beer there is a whole cottage industry of indie breweries that have sprung up (just like the states). I would arrange a visit or three ...

http://www.breweryhopsofireland.com/

There is a bar called the "Black Sheep" in Dublin that has most of the brews on tap. http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-black-sheep-dublin

Other cultural oddities in Dublin " Moore Street early in the morning, is a decades old inner city food market, lots of "character there" along with a glimpse of Dublin's international flavour.

Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin and a walk around the Liberties old Dublin.

A ride on the Luas, Dublin's tramline, a cheap way to get across the city.

If you like cool coffee shops, Fumbally Lane Cafe full of hipsters or Brother Hubbard on Capel street, great coffee, scones.

Old time pubs in Dublin abound, two that come to mind are "The Stag's Head" and "The Long Hall".

The Guinness tour is a little slick but the beer is alright.

Trinity College is worth a walk around and Phoenix Park is worth a cycle around.

Fancy a cold swim in the Ocean ? The "40 foot"in Dublin is a famous bathers spot for the hardy. It just to be segregated by sex decades ago but no longer.

Horse racing in Ireland is a very cool experience, very different from the states. Take a look online to see if your journey brings you anywhere near a racing fixture. "National Hunt" the name for thoroughbred racing over fences is very big in Ireland and England.

http://www.goracing.ie/HRI/Fixtures-...ults/Fixtures/

If you like your history, Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin have a modern genealogy museum that you can research your roots.

Pre-christian tombs in County Meath are worth a visit, a short ride from Dublin ... http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm

Check out some of the country pubs in Ireland, you will generally get a warm welcome.

There is a great flea market in Dublin once a month, leave room in your suitcase ... http://dublinflea.ie/

The National Gallery in Dublin is worth a visit, as is the Museum of Modern art in Kilmainham.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

+1.

Yes. Go to Italy.
    You dolt.

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGERMIKE View Post
    This is GOLD! Go to your bank and get some Kennedy half dollars. I got 80, forty bucks worth. I used them as tips. Not in place of cash, but a token of someone being extra kind (great service, advice, stories or even directions. Trust you will make someones day and your entire trip. Especially in Galway where John Fitzgerald is considered a saint.

The best $40.00 you will spend on this trip. Kiss the damn stone who cares what people say
    Awesome advice. This is right up my alley

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    That's good advise ... I am just back from photographing a tourism guide to Dublin , the coldest March on record. I suggest you bring great rain gear and winter woolies. If you have an unseasonably warm April, you still win, the clothing will save you.

You really should make it to Connermara and even the Aran Islands if you are staying two weeks.

If you like beer there is a whole cottage industry of indie breweries that have sprung up (just like the states). I would arrange a visit or three ...

http://www.breweryhopsofireland.com/

There is a bar called the "Black Sheep" in Dublin that has most of the brews on tap. http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-black-sheep-dublin

Other cultural oddities in Dublin " Moore Street early in the morning, is a decades old inner city food market, lots of "character there" along with a glimpse of Dublin's international flavour.

Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin and a walk around the Liberties old Dublin.

A ride on the Luas, Dublin's tramline, a cheap way to get across the city.

If you like cool coffee shops, Fumbally Lane Cafe full of hipsters or Brother Hubbard on Capel street, great coffee, scones.

Old time pubs in Dublin abound, two that come to mind are "The Stag's Head" and "The Long Hall".

The Guinness tour is a little slick but the beer is alright.

Trinity College is worth a walk around and Phoenix Park is worth a cycle around.

Fancy a cold swim in the Ocean ? The "40 foot"in Dublin is a famous bathers spot for the hardy. It just to be segregated by sex decades ago but no longer.

Horse racing in Ireland is a very cool experience, very different from the states. Take a look online to see if your journey brings you anywhere near a racing fixture. "National Hunt" the name for thoroughbred racing over fences is very big in Ireland and England.

http://www.goracing.ie/HRI/Fixtures-...ults/Fixtures/

If you like your history, Glasnevin cemetery in Dublin have a modern genealogy museum that you can research your roots.

Pre-christian tombs in County Meath are worth a visit, a short ride from Dublin ... http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm

Check out some of the country pubs in Ireland, you will generally get a warm welcome.

There is a great flea market in Dublin once a month, leave room in your suitcase ... http://dublinflea.ie/

The National Gallery in Dublin is worth a visit, as is the Museum of Modern art in Kilmainham.

I never thought I'd get such good advice/suggestions from the hampur! Thanks a lot, I will definitely check out all of these links. Thanks for making my trip even better