Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally - a Revis article favorable to what the Jets are doing.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    ??? He has ZERO leverage to force a new contract with the Jets. If he holds out 2 years gets added to his contract at a really low value. If the Jets are stupid enough to keep him, he will play his last year to get to FA. He has no choice.

That said, Idzik needs to just get it done tomorrow, so this all can be over and Mevis can be somewhere else
    Who said anything about him holding out? It just forces him to sign at cheap money rather than adding more years on his contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    I dont think you're really understanding the fact that if the people in charge wait one more year to do this, they will all be looking for new jobs at the end of the season. They play in a division that includes teams that could throw up 70 points on their secondary without an issue. That small little fact gives the Jets so much leverage that it really doesn't feel like there's only one team bidding at all.
    I understand that of course. But you also have to understand the owner has the final say especially when it comes to revis and an extension. You think the owner would sign off on the gm trading unlimited picks? And the gm even if he gets canned would have atleast shown toughness for not giving ridiculous amount of picks for revis. If he trades all those picks and revis isn't the same he will be in the same boat as MT and NEVER find another gm job ever again. So he risks a lot by trading for revis as well.. If we get Tampa 1st this year realistically maybe we can also get a 3rd next year..and maybe a 6th rounder.. that's it, and that I will be very happy with.. Those who think we are getting a boatload more are crazy..

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there's ANY way we don't get AT LEAST what Seattle gave up for Percy Harvin.They got a 1st and 7th this year,and a 3rd next year.He isn't in the same elite company as Revis.

We won't accept less than that compensation for Revis,I would bet almost anything on that(if I was a betting man).I believe the deal will be done before we pick 9th later this month.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Lol these posts are hilarious.. Tampa can just say " we can just wait until 14 to sign revis and give up zero draft picks" sure another team may offer something to trade, but their offer is only 1 that exists right now. So Tampa can wait for that mystery team to come in and see if they dare offer anywhere near tampa's offer.. If so what is that team waiting for? Time is running out, if they wanted revis that bad they would have been involved already.. It stinks there is not a bidding war for revis, jets would be in much better situation.. Instead we have 1 team bidding against themselves
    These are negotiating tactics my padawan. Simply put you shoot for the stars and have a fall back position. The fact that the Bucs are still lingering with their offers is a strong indicator of their interest. Why should Idzik rush when the Jets have the upper hand *smh*

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol these posts are hilarious.. Tampa can just say " we can just wait until 14 to sign revis and give up zero draft picks" sure another team may offer something to trade, but their offer is only 1 that exists right now. So Tampa can wait for that mystery team to come in and see if they dare offer anywhere near tampa's offer.. If so what is that team waiting for? Time is running out, if they wanted revis that bad they would have been involved already.. It stinks there is not a bidding war for revis, jets would be in much better situation.. Instead we have 1 team bidding against themselves
    Or the Jets can re-sign him. Revis is almost certain the take the Jets best long term package if they don't trade him. That's why Revis is pushing so hard for this trade. If the Jets don't get what thy want Revis stays and never hits the open market.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would prefer to sign Revis long term but if there is a trade; I think the 1st in 2014 is a must have for the Jets future

a 2nd and 3rd in 2013 helps this team more then #13 since the draft is deep in areas of need G, S, WR

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets could get two 1st rounders for Keyshawn, then the STARTING negotiation for Revis should be at least that. Keyshawn wasn't even the best WR in the league at the time he was traded. Revis, however, is undoubtedly the very best corner without any other corner coming even close.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Except....IMO there is no way Revis starts the 2013 year for the Jets or any other team WITHOUT a contract extension.

IMO if a trade doesn't materialize it is in both the Jets and Revis' best interest to get a reasonable deal done.

The Jets can't risk losing Revis to FA in 2014.

Revis can't risk not returning from his injury to his old Pro-Bowl form or even worse, getting injured again in his walk year. There's way too much money at stake for Revis. The media ignores this particular angle because of their Jets bias....any angle that may shed favorable light on this organization is ignored.

To me, all this trade him or else talk is a bunch of nonsense.

Come September 2013 Revis will have a new deal, either with the Jets or with the team he is traded to.

In fact, IMO, if a trade doesn't happen, the leverage in contract negotiations swings heavily in the Jets favor.

NO WAY Revis suits up this year without new guaranteed money from someone. He can't risk it coming off a big injury.

By training camp, Revis would probably take a deal in the 8-10 million range.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Revis pulls up lame in training camp with a medical mystery injury that keeps him on the exercise bike all season long and then makes a miraculous recovery next offseason in time to pass his physicals.

Clearly integrity was never part of his resume...why should it change now.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    good article but I can hear his whiny voice as I read it, very annoying. QUESTION: If we get their first, that gives us 9 & 13...how do we pay 2 first round picks AND improve everywhere else that is needed?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    I dont think you're really understanding the fact that if the people in charge wait one more year to do this, they will all be looking for new jobs at the end of the season. They play in a division that includes teams that could throw up 70 points on their secondary without an issue. That small little fact gives the Jets so much leverage that it really doesn't feel like there's only one team bidding at all.
    They most likely aren't winning in 2013 anyway with D revis. Tampa bay could trade up in the draft and get the best Cb (milliner) in this class. He younger, a lot cheaper, and won't be looking to hold out in two years after you give him that big contract.

Since you floated out there that your willing to give Revis 15 million dollars a year that makes it hard for a another team to get a long term deal with revis if they don't want to go that high.

2014 you add D Revis in Fa. Now you have Dee Milliner and D Revis as your starting Cb's is a whole different ball game. Now tampa Bay would be ready to compete in the NFC.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 04-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if Revis pulls up lame in training camp with a medical mystery injury that keeps him on the exercise bike all season long and then makes a miraculous recovery next offseason in time to pass his physicals.

Clearly integrity was never part of his resume...why should it change now.
    I wouldn't put that past Revis.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The GM is fired if they don't make playoffs/show signs of an upswing this year ... Just like what we just went through ... What good does Revis in 2014 do his A$$ while he's on the golf course or listening to his wife b*tch all day?

Nice read, thx

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    They most likely aren't winning in 2013 anyway with D revis. Tampa bay could trade up in the draft and get the best Cb (milliner) in this class. He younger, a lot cheaper, and won't be looking to hold out in two years after you give him that big contract.

Since you floated out there that your willing to give Revis 15 million dollars a year that makes it hard for a another team to get a long term deal with revis if they don't want to go that high.

2014 you add D Revis in Fa. Now you have Dee Milliner and D Revis as your starting Cb's is a whole different ball game. Now tampa Bay would be ready to compete in the NFC.
    hey hey your not allowed to think on behalf of what would be in the best interest of another team ha.. Imagine that though.. Im shocked top teams like Denver, SF didn't go hard after Revis. There are few more top teams but those 2 were the most obvious, if they traded for revis there already high chance of winning the superbowl increases dramatically with Revis. Tampa? ha that's a joke, there are at the same level we are at they aren't winning a superbowl next yr with or without revis. But their pass defense is terrible.. They need picks to develop their team just like us. I'd like the Jets to keep Revis long term, but no way would I want the Jets to give up 2 1st round picks for Revis.. If I was a SF fan, Denver fan I would think about it..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman1 View Post
    I don't think there's ANY way we don't get AT LEAST what Seattle gave up for Percy Harvin.They got a 1st and 7th this year,and a 3rd next year.He isn't in the same elite company as Revis.

We won't accept less than that compensation for Revis,I would bet almost anything on that(if I was a betting man).I believe the deal will be done before we pick 9th later this month.
    One big difference is the3 Vikings had the franchise tag at their disposal and the Jets don't. P harvin couldn't go anywhere without the Vikings letting him. Come 2014 the Jets can't do anything about Revis leaving. That why you can't expect the same compensation as the circumstances are totally different.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13 View Post
    good article but I can hear his whiny voice as I read it, very annoying. QUESTION: If we get their first, that gives us 9 & 13...how do we pay 2 first round picks AND improve everywhere else that is needed?
    It's easier now with the rookie salary structure due to the new CBA.. In 2000 we signed 4 1st rd picks and that was with no salary guide at all..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    One big difference is the3 Vikings had the franchise tag at their disposal and the Jets don't. P harvin couldn't go anywhere without the Vikings letting him. Come 2014 the Jets can't do anything about Revis leaving. That why you can't expect the same compensation as the circumstances are totally different.
    So you dont think the Jets will get compensation equal to the Harvin trade because Revis can not be franchised in 2014? It means nothing because the team trading for Revis is signing him long term anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    This years 1st, 2nd, 4th, next years 2nd, 3rd. If we get that, pack his bags for him.
    yeah sure. I won't hold my breath waiting for that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schien is a tool. He killed the Idzik signing along with Ray Lucas on Jets Nation before the guy even set foot in the building....calling him a "cap guy" and that we should've signed Tom Gamble.....now he's praising Idzik on the job he's doing......Go **** yourself Schein and take that pill head Ray Lucas with you....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So you dont think the Jets will get compensation equal to the Harvin trade because Revis can not be franchised in 2014? It means nothing because the team trading for Revis is signing him long term anyway.
    what??? of course it makes a difference.. A huge difference in revis case because of his injury. The trading team would have HUGE leverage negotiating a contract with Revis, they could franchise him to much less than what they would be paying him annually in a long term deal. They could trade with jets without worrying about a deal at time of trade, because tampa would know revis would much rather sign a long term deal than be franchised. Maybe they want to see revis test the knee next year before talking long term.
    Teams also realize jets are desperate if we don't trade revis in 13 we lose him for nothing in 14. If we had the tag available teams know we could go into the season with him on the block, if we didn't like the offers we let him play 13 as a Jet let him re-prove his value then get a better deal in a trade next offseason after we tagged him...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey hey your not allowed to think on behalf of what would be in the best interest of another team ha.. Imagine that though.. Im shocked top teams like Denver, SF didn't go hard after Revis. There are few more top teams but those 2 were the most obvious, if they traded for revis there already high chance of winning the superbowl increases dramatically with Revis. Tampa? ha that's a joke, there are at the same level we are at they aren't winning a superbowl next yr with or without revis. But their pass defense is terrible.. They need picks to develop their team just like us. I'd like the Jets to keep Revis long term, but no way would I want the Jets to give up 2 1st round picks for Revis.. If I was a SF fan, Denver fan I would think about it..
    The 49ers were never going to be in the Revis sweepstakes. They have so many young players under cheap contracts right now but eventually those players contract are going to be a lot more expensive . You sign D Revis you lose the ability to keep a lot more of those players.

Denver can't fit D revis in their cap. See Dumervill who they had to let go because they are against the cap.

So if isn't Tampa Bay what magically team going to come out of the blue, and get in the Revis sweepstakes.

If the jets can get a first for D Revis there new Gm has done a great job. If they are able to swindle(only team bidding) more from Tampa Bay than the Jets new GM should be executive of the year.