Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sign Calvin Pace for a million bucks

All League
    New York Jets Interested in Calvin Pace?
    By Scott Salmon on Apr 10 2013, 8:56p

According to our friend Jake Steinberg, the New York Jets are in talks to bring back OLB Calvin Pace. Presumably, Pace would be signed at or near the veteran's minimum. At this point, I expect him to be simply depth. The fact is, the current state of the outside linebackers is dreadful. There's Garrett McIntyre, Ricky Sapp, and Antwan Barnes, and some camp bodies. That's it.

As with nearly everybody here, I would prefer to see the Jets roll with the young guns and separate the wheat from the chaff. However, the team does need depth so as long as Pace is bare minimum cheap and doesn't get too much playing time, I suppose I'm not opposed to a reunion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post
    Absolutely no. I can't remember where I read it but, Pace was ranked among the bottom two or three linebackers in 2013 in the entire NFL.
    Really?...at what?....I can think of at least 4 LB's on his own team that would be 'ranked more bottom' than Pace

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Pace would be a solid move at vet minimum level deal.

A vet OLB to fill the role Bryan Thomas filled last year, and Jason Taylor filled the previous year, makes complete sense.

And I think the Jets take a stud OLB in the first round, or a sleeper later in the draft.
    +1

Pace and Thomas together provided little to no pass rush but Pace doing the job of Thomas with hopefully someone more dynamic opposite is not the worst shape to be going into the season...at vet minimum he goes from being overpaid to actually decent value

Would have no complaints if this went down

As a vet BU at vet min OK. That would only be for cap reasons IMO. Team him up with Barnes. At very least he can do what Thomas did last year. Maybin blew and Thomas ended up the starter. If Barnes ends up not being able to get his game back Pace can at least step in and help out. No need to rush into signing him before camp though I doubt anyone is beating his door down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Not the worst idea at all.Pace suffered because he was never that 8 to 10+ sacks a year guy that everybody thinks wins championships.Had the other OLB opposite been one of those guys then Pace would've been viewed differently.Very solid player for us who did all the little things well and delivered what little pass rush we've had over the last few years but was paid to get more of those headline plays than he did.

To my mind we have to come away from this draft with at least 2 new options at OLB but Pace for peanuts is a low risk option at this point.Only concern would be him taking snaps away from a younger guy who possibly should be getting the reps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If he was willing to come back for a much reduced price? Sign me up. Although, he was a huge disappointment at the price we were paying him, he was never a BAD linebacker. He just wasn't able to do all of the things that we needed him to do at the price we paid.
    Pace would be a solid move at vet minimum level deal.

A vet OLB to fill the role Bryan Thomas filled last year, and Jason Taylor filled the previous year, makes complete sense.

And I think the Jets take a stud OLB in the first round, or a sleeper later in the draft.
    Disagree on all points outside of the possibility of him providing a bit of veteran leadership. He is not a good pass rusher, cannot hold the point of attack and is glacially slow in both coverage and pursuit. I'd rather them sign Bryan Thomas at this point, and I'm not a fan of his, either.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I don't see many better options at this point, and nobody seems to be knocking down his door. I like him for one year at that price, and there needs to be *some* continuity on the edge. Worst case scenario a draft pick outplays him in camp and you have veteran depth that doesn't break the bank.

Needs to get done -- or Idzik needs to surprise here. OLB is still a big worry at this point.
    DO NOT PANIC! The next game is quite a long way off! RICKY SAPP just might be the answer and he already is signed. The draft is right around the corner. I think its best that we get younger rather then older!

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    DO NOT PANIC! The next game is quite a long way off! RICKY SAPP just might be the answer and he already is signed. The draft is right around the corner. I think its best that we get younger rather then older!
    Is that you steiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Disagree on all points outside of the possibility of him providing a bit of veteran leadership. He is not a good pass rusher, cannot hold the point of attack and is glacially slow in both coverage and pursuit. I'd rather them sign Bryan Thomas at this point, and I'm not a fan of his, either.
    Fair enough, but I think you're wrong

Pace has a lot better ability at both of their current stages in their careers, BT is also having surgery to repair a torn trap/shoulder/bicep?

Pace has better pass rushing ability right now than BT does as well, Pace played the weak side, BT the strong side.

Slow isn't an accurate term to define Pace either, he's a veteran player but he runs pretty well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

don't understand the opposition to Pace at a minimal salary.. including from some of the same people who are apparently okay letting Garrett McIntyre start. Sign me up for an OLB at 9 and a Pace/Barnes rotation on the other side.

Jets Insider VIP
    Fair enough, but I think you're wrong

Pace has a lot better ability at both of their current stages in their careers, BT is also having surgery to repair a torn trap/shoulder/bicep?

Pace has better pass rushing ability right now than BT does as well, Pace played the weak side, BT the strong side.

Slow isn't an accurate term to define Pace either, he's a veteran player but he runs pretty well.
    Agree to disagree. You may be right about BT. I only mentioned him as a comparison if all things were equal (health, money etc). I felt that either signing would be with an eye towards whoever it was lining up on the strong side. Sapp, Barnes and Mcintyre would likely be weakside guys, although the latter might play both sides.

Slow is being kind. He runs with an awkward, exaggerated gait that is reminiscent of someone wearing weighted shoes. That would be fine if he were able to hold/defeat the point of attack, but too often I saw him get overwhelmed. Then, to watch him in "pursuit"......lordy.

All Pro
    why do that when you could pay him vets min