Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFC East 2013

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Why worry? Be happy.

And why are we posting this crap even before the draft? People need to settle down. It's football, not nuclear war. Worry about North Korea. Worry about post-apocalyptic zombies. Worry about global warming. The Jets? Entertainment.

North Korea??? They are a joke. One bomb and end of discussion!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    not including Pouncey, who else is a good draft pick in the last 3 classes? Tannehill is a to be determined player at this point.
    This is just an opinion but this is our 2010 class, Jeff irelands first year in charge of the draft.

1st Round: Jared Odrick, shows signs, good run stopper, playing out of position. Still to be determined, but a solid starter

2nd Round: Koa Misi: Starter, played much better last year in the 4/3, solid player with room to improve

3rd Round: John Jerry, not a great pick, but played better last year. Started every game I believe. Room to improve if he can keep his weight under control. I would grade it a C or maybe D+ but there's upside

5th Round: Nolan Caroll, depth player. Has started some games and not looked too good. Getting depth out of a 5th rounder isn't bad, and he's still improving

5th Round: Rashad Jones, Broke out last year, should've made the pro bowl. Was rated a top 5 safety by most analysists. Very good pick, but we'll have to see if he can maintain it

7th Round: Austin Spitler, good special teams player, good depth. Thats about as much as you can hope for out of a 7th rounder.

Bad Picks:

7th Rounder Chris Mccoy, and 4th Rounder AJ Edds, busts. a 7th round bust isn't much to complain about. AJ Edds never really got a chance, he tore his ACL in training camp. Has bounced around on a few teams practice squards.

Overall, nothing earth shattering, but to get a solid starter in rounds 1 and 2, a average player in John Jerry in round 3, a contributor in round 5, and a probowl player in round 5 is pretty good. If we can get Odrick in his natural position he will probably play much better, and all of them are young with room to improve. Pretty successful class so far. Again, I'm not going to run around bragging, but I would be willing to bet if you compared it to other teams, it's a top 10 draft class that year.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm worried the Dolphins are kicking us out of our #2 spot this year. We just barely squeaked past them last year.
    They look a lot more stacked this season. Not only that (and this scares me more than anything), they look like they're on the ascension.

Meanwhile, we're basically one season away from a regime change and total rebuild.

Please convince me we aren't going to start getting embarrassed by a new and improving Miami offense.

Patriots aren't vacating the iron throne anytime soon, so if the Phins kick us out of #2 and continue to improve, we're coming up on a long post-season black out.

I find some reason to be optimistic every off season that we're going to make the right moves and make a run at the division, or get a Wildcard spot in the very least.

Right now I just don't see how we aren't the Buffalo Bills next season.
    No way do we finish 2nd in the AFC East next year, and I actually think we're gonna' have to battle to the death with Buffalo just to lock up 3rd.

I'm against and hate throwing seasons for draft picks.... but if there was ever a season to do it, this is the one.

The Patriots are going to sweep us next year and I bet the Dolphins do too.
    We could easily only win one division game in 2013.

Winter is coming.
    Wow, just conceding the division to NE already? I hate this attitude, and I guarantee you the Jets aren't thinking this. Look, if NE wins the division again, then they win it. But you don't CONCEDE anything. You go out and play and do the best you can do. The Jets goals, as they should be every season, is to win the division and a first round bye on the way to a Super Bowl title. If they're not good enough to do it, then so be it. But you don't EXPECT to lose, or to have a sub-par season. The Jets had an abysmal offense last season, a ****load of turnovers and bad special teams, and they STILL managed to be in the playoff hunt until late in the season. Cut the TO's in half, complete 60% of their passes,and this team can compete with anybody. Whether you believe that is irrelevent, that's the TRUTH.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyStylez View Post
    Wow, just conceding the division to NE already? I hate this attitude, and I guarantee you the Jets aren't thinking this. Look, if NE wins the division again, then they win it. But you don't CONCEDE anything. You go out and play and do the best you can do. The Jets goals, as they should be every season, is to win the division and a first round bye on the way to a Super Bowl title. If they're not good enough to do it, then so be it. But you don't EXPECT to lose, or to have a sub-par season. The Jets had an abysmal offense last season, a ****load of turnovers and bad special teams, and they STILL managed to be in the playoff hunt until late in the season. Cut the TO's in half, complete 60% of their passes,and this team can compete with anybody. Whether you believe that is irrelevent, that's the TRUTH.
    Hasn't that been the plan for awhile? Just `wait out Tom`?
    Every off season we assume the Patriots are finally going to decline and that Brady's going to lose a step. That was definitely the assumption last season and instead they were one of the highest scoring offenses of all time.

Yup. Going to just go ahead and concede the division to the Patriots until someone stops them. Not going to even flinch this year if Brady has another one of his best seasons ever.

Sorry but the 2012 season was a sobering one. It sort of snapped my out of my delusions and now I'm just preparing for reality.

This is a throw away season. That's the final culmination of the Rex Ryan era - being stuck, without any choice in the matter, with a throw away season.

You're seriously going into this season looking for a division title and a bye week for a Superbowl? lol The Jets weren't in the play off hunt because they were play off contenders. We were in the hunt because the AFC was extremely, extremely weak outside Baltimore, New England and Denver.

And despite that extremely weak, frail, and more or less pathetic pool of AFC wildcard contenders, we couldn't even come up decent against the Titans to sneak in.

Just stop.

Rex Ryan destroyed us and now it's time to pay the piper.
    The Dolphins are better than us and we're not even in the same class as New England. We also need a quarterback, a new head coach, a new system, and the people to make it work.

Superbowl? Bye week?

I'm thinking more total irrelevancy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    2nd place in the AFC East is irrelevant, whoever it is will still be 2-3 games back of the Pats in the standings. Let Miami have it, I'd rather finish 4th and get a top 3 pick in next year's draft then go 7-9 and finish 2nd in the division.

Miami reminds me of us under Tannenbaum, overspent in free agency, tried to make a huge splash, building around a young shaky QB that showed "promise." What will that get them? Probably 8-8 or 9-7.
    +1

Finishing second in the AFC East means nothing when it means you're finishing 8th in the AFC. Does anyone really think the Dolphins are making the playoffs?

Lets concentrate on getting the team ready to really compete in 2014.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    +1

Finishing second in the AFC East means nothing when it means you're finishing 8th in the AFC. Does anyone really think the Dolphins are making the playoffs?

Lets concentrate on getting the team ready to really compete in 2014.
    They've easily closed the gap from what they were last season and what it would of taken them last season to get in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan destroyed us? This team was average at best and he got us to AFCCG...TWICE!!! He struggles with his bravado, but he gave us hope with average talent and what looks like a bad QB!!! He is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. I want him to succeed with the right team and a new GM, but if he doesn't I will be appreciative of what he did while he was here. I blame this mess on Tanny and Woody. Rex has his faults that only he can correct, but Tanny has never know what a football player is. We are getting to at least see what a real GM is supposed to do. I know at least he won't go into this season with a loser mentality like most of this fan base!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    Rex Ryan destroyed us? This team was average at best and he got us to AFCCG...TWICE!!! He struggles with his bravado, but he gave us hope with average talent and what looks like a bad QB!!! He is one of the best defensive coaches in the league. I want him to succeed with the right team and a new GM, but if he doesn't I will be appreciative of what he did while he was here. I blame this mess on Tanny and Woody. Rex has his faults that only he can correct, but Tanny has never know what a football player is. We are getting to at least see what a real GM is supposed to do. I know at least he won't go into this season with a loser mentality like most of this fan base!!
    the team was better than average...can we stop with AFCCG banner already? Big effin deal, i didn't know it was the pinnacle of football achievement...we lost in both games, it's not like it was the super bowl...this is Rex's last stand...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    This is just an opinion but this is our 2010 class, Jeff irelands first year in charge of the draft.

1st Round: Jared Odrick, shows signs, good run stopper, playing out of position. Still to be determined, but a solid starter

2nd Round: Koa Misi: Starter, played much better last year in the 4/3, solid player with room to improve

3rd Round: John Jerry, not a great pick, but played better last year. Started every game I believe. Room to improve if he can keep his weight under control. I would grade it a C or maybe D+ but there's upside

5th Round: Nolan Caroll, depth player. Has started some games and not looked too good. Getting depth out of a 5th rounder isn't bad, and he's still improving

5th Round: Rashad Jones, Broke out last year, should've made the pro bowl. Was rated a top 5 safety by most analysists. Very good pick, but we'll have to see if he can maintain it

7th Round: Austin Spitler, good special teams player, good depth. Thats about as much as you can hope for out of a 7th rounder.

Bad Picks:

7th Rounder Chris Mccoy, and 4th Rounder AJ Edds, busts. a 7th round bust isn't much to complain about. AJ Edds never really got a chance, he tore his ACL in training camp. Has bounced around on a few teams practice squards.

Overall, nothing earth shattering, but to get a solid starter in rounds 1 and 2, a average player in John Jerry in round 3, a contributor in round 5, and a probowl player in round 5 is pretty good. If we can get Odrick in his natural position he will probably play much better, and all of them are young with room to improve. Pretty successful class so far. Again, I'm not going to run around bragging, but I would be willing to bet if you compared it to other teams, it's a top 10 draft class that year.
    Good post. I am very familiar with the Phins. Very good friend is a fan and we discuss both teams ad nauseum.
    Odrick has basically done nothing in two years, first year due to injury.
    Misi almost was cut last year.
    Jerry same as above.
    The late round picks are not worth listing. The Phins also picked a te last year that cant play in the second round, remember? He should be on your bad pick list.
    Your team is moving in the right direction, which is good since they were slamming into a wall for the last 15 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Hasn't that been the plan for awhile? Just `wait out Tom`?
    Every off season we assume the Patriots are finally going to decline and that Brady's going to lose a step. That was definitely the assumption last season and instead they were one of the highest scoring offenses of all time.

Yup. Going to just go ahead and concede the division to the Patriots until someone stops them. Not going to even flinch this year if Brady has another one of his best seasons ever.

Sorry but the 2012 season was a sobering one. It sort of snapped my out of my delusions and now I'm just preparing for reality.

This is a throw away season. That's the final culmination of the Rex Ryan era - being stuck, without any choice in the matter, with a throw away season.

You're seriously going into this season looking for a division title and a bye week for a Superbowl? lol The Jets weren't in the play off hunt because they were play off contenders. We were in the hunt because the AFC was extremely, extremely weak outside Baltimore, New England and Denver.

And despite that extremely weak, frail, and more or less pathetic pool of AFC wildcard contenders, we couldn't even come up decent against the Titans to sneak in.

Just stop.

Rex Ryan destroyed us and now it's time to pay the piper.
    The Dolphins are better than us and we're not even in the same class as New England. We also need a quarterback, a new head coach, a new system, and the people to make it work.

Superbowl? Bye week?

I'm thinking more total irrelevancy.
    All of that might be true but here's where I have a problem with that. The mentality of "waiting it out" is self-defeating. Sure, you might not be able to get there but if you're not trying to win, you're trying to lose. You're sitting on the sidelines waiting for someone else or in this case, nature, to take care of business.

There's always going to be someone to take their place. Why not try to be that guy instead of letting someone else take the throne? Waiting a team out does not guarantee that you will be the next one on top and I'd argue that you're setting yourself up for more disappointment.

The Jets should be trying to beat the Patriots, not wait until Brady is gone. That's not how you build a team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Good post. I am very familiar with the Phins. Very good friend is a fan and we discuss both teams ad nauseum.
    Odrick has basically done nothing in two years, first year due to injury.
    Misi almost was cut last year.
    Jerry same as above.
    The late round picks are not worth listing. The Phins also picked a te last year that cant play in the second round, remember? He should be on your bad pick list.
    Your team is moving in the right direction, which is good since they were slamming into a wall for the last 15 years.
    Obviously we have different opinions which is fine. Just wanted to make a few comments. Odrick had 6 sacks in limited playing time in his first year playing (2nd year in the league, injured his first year like you said), Coples had what, 5.5? And I think you guys were pretty happy with that. Odrick is a 4-3 DT not DE and thats really hurting him. Defensive tackles don't normally make the highlight reals, but for the most part he is a solid player. You hope for pro bowl with the first round, but for a late first round pick, and a defensive tackle in his 3rd year, he is a good player. Hopefully he improves when he's put at defensive tackle like he should be.

I don't know where you read Misi was almost cut last year. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't, but bottom line is he played all year and was rated pretty highly. Without the position switch he could've been cut, but in a 4-3 he played very well. To get a solid starter out of round 2 is a good pick.

You're right about Jerry, and he could be cut this year. He is not a good 3rd round pick which I admit to. He still started every game and played average to below average. That's not that bad out of a 3rd round pick.

When one of your 5th round picks is an emerging star, he most definately is worth listing. That was one of the steals of the draft. Having a 7th round pick make the team is worth listing, it doesn't happen all the time. And having a 5th round pick also be good depth is an ok pick. Maybe a C grade? There are alot of 5th round picks that are out of the league in 3 years.

I didn't includes 2011 or 2012 draft because you really cant grade a draft till at least 3 years. The tight end egnew was a 3rd round pick, and so far is a bust, but it takes more than a year to bust. It's been 3 years since the 2010 draft, thats why I graded that one, because you have a better idea of how those players turned out. Rashad Jones barely played his first year. He would've been considered a bust then, but it's just not fair to grade drafts after the first year, I dont think.

So all I was trying to show is that Ireland has had a good few drafts. Seeing as tho it's hard to grade a draft till 3 years, I used 2010 as an example, and out of that draft we got solid starters in rounds 1 and 2. A below average starter in round 3. A bust at linebacker in round 4. A good depth player in round 5. An elite safety in round 5, a good special teams player/depth in round 7, and another bust in round 7. All of this is after 3 years, which most people would say still have alot of room to improve. I don't know what grade you would give the draft, but I would grade it a B+ probably. Again, I'm not trying to brag about the draft, you just asked what players we have gotten because you didn't think we had good drafts, or at least thats what I took from your comment.

People rip on teams drafts all the time, but if you look at every teams draft in 2010, you would be amazed at how bad most of them are. Just goes to show how hard the draft is. I still would bet that the dolphins draft in 2010 is a top 10 draft that year. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen I doubt it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope the Phins improve, it would be good for the Jets and the NFL. Someone needs to push the Pats. Right now the Pats have 3 doormat teams in the AFC Least.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    the team was better than average...can we stop with AFCCG banner already? Big effin deal, i didn't know it was the pinnacle of football achievement...we lost in both games, it's not like it was the super bowl...this is Rex's last stand...
    Its not the pinnacle of football, but it is for a team and organization that has been awful for most of its existence.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, we need to have a competitive afc east. Enough with the pats already.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, but I don't see how we are going to be as bad as some think. We didn't have Revis last year and the defense was fine vs the pass. We lost Devito which hurts a little, but losing an injured Pouha is no big deal. We upgraded our LB's with Barnes. Landry is an upgrade over Bell. We cut some dead weight at LB and S. Hopefully, we can get a pass rushing OLB in the draft.

On offense, the big question mark is can Sanchez cut his TO's in half. If he does then I think we are 7-9 and maybe 8-8 this year. If not 4-12 to 6-10 at best. And if we end up 1-15 then I'm ok with that also. I have no expectations for this team, but like the direction we are going. Rebuilding was necessary. Who cares if an 8-8 Dolphin team is 2nd. They still aren't going to the playoffs.
    I like Barnes going forward when rushing but he is not a good player against the run at all. there is a reason he signed a 1.3mill a year deal.

I don't agree with you that you expect landry to be an upgrade over what Bell gave you last year. He might, but to expect it is something else.

How can you say the jets pass d was that good last year? look at the scores of the games that the jets lost by, How many times were the jets up by 2 sores so thatthe other team had to pass? What dead weight did you cut at safety?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not this again.

Rex took a very talented team and ran it into the ground. All your exclamation points don't change that fact.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with Rex is, after 4 years he's still just a defensive coordinator playing head coach. Luckily, they finally have a decent offensive coordinator that can hopefully take over the offense, but it's hard for me to consider Rex a good coach when he still has no clue on offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank god we have a terrific HC in Rex and apparently have hit paydirt in the GM stakes with Idzik

fortunately NOBODY is paying attention or listening to the whining of so called fans who were screaming for the Jets to sign Matt Leinart as their franchise QB only a few years ago

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    thank god we have a terrific HC in Rex and apparently have hit paydirt in the GM stakes with Idzik

fortunately NOBODY is paying attention or listening to the whining of so called fans who were screaming for the Jets to sign Matt Leinart as their franchise QB only a few years ago
    or the fans who predicted multiple SB wins under Sanchez and had him as their avatar for a few years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    some of us root for the Jets

that's the difference between us and you