Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks from SI - interesting mock draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if the jets get tb's 13 pick he would be a very logical mix of drafting based on need and production. if the jets came out of round 1 with star and vacarro, i'd be upset the offense didn't get an upgrade but the defense would be much better.
    Two defensive selections in round 1 when we are a bottom 5 offense in football is a tough sell to this fanbase. I'd have to believe Rex was calling the shots if that happened. I think the beat writers and media would have an absolute field day if that happened

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I know the contingent that is anti-Geno Smith may not want to hear this, but if he really values production, Smith might be pretty high on our draft board. 4K yards, 72% completion, 42 TDs, and 6 INTs is going to look considerably better than anything any of the other QB prospects put up last season.
    But you just dont look at production in a vacuum. If that was the case all the Texas Tech and Houston QBs would be stars in the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    would prefer

#9) dion jordan or star L.

#13) warmack/cooper

2nd) eifert/ertz/ montee ball

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    qb's are graded on more than just those stats, their tape is dissected beyond belief.
    Well the tape will show that he QB'ed one of the top offenses in the nation, but was saddled with a D as bad as you will see in a BCS conference.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two defensive selections in round 1 when we are a bottom 5 offense in football is a tough sell to this fanbase. I'd have to believe Rex was calling the shots if that happened. I think the beat writers and media would have an absolute field day if that happened
    i agree completely. the problem is a lack of offensive skill talent where the jets pick. let's say buffalo takes austin, and let's say the jets wanted him. also let's say the jets want no part of cordarelle. and finally, let's say the jets will not take a guard in the first round based on positional value. if they can't trade back, they're kinda stuck to a few guys. maybe they take the best TE. it's unclear to me. maybe they reach for a qb, but i doubt it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what poor drafting teams do though. They reach and draft based on public opinion. The Jets could easily go defense with their first round picks and then get a bunch of play makers in the second thru 4th rounds. The top 15 is not a place for offensive weapons, there are LTs and Guards, but not many play makers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    But you just dont look at production in a vacuum. If that was the case all the Texas Tech and Houston QBs would be stars in the NFL.
    We're not talking Kliff Klingler or Case Keenum, 6 feet guys with no arm or athletic ability that played on teams that passed every single down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the tape will show that he QB'ed one of the top offenses in the nation, but was saddled with a D as bad as you will see in a BCS conference.
    That whole conference doesnt play defense, not just WVU. The Big 12 is a joke defensively. Not to mention that Smith made few tough throws.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what poor drafting teams do though. They reach and draft based on public opinion. The Jets could easily go defense with their first round picks and then get a bunch of play makers in the second thru 4th rounds. The top 15 is not a place for offensive weapons, there are LTs and Guards, but not many play makers.
    I'm tired of giving Rex every single 1st round pick for D. He's a brilliant defensive mind, let him take some some lower round picks and turn them into great players. We finally have a competent OC, why not give him some high-end talent to work with?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're not talking Kliff Klingler or Case Keenum, 6 feet guys with no arm or athletic ability that played on teams that passed every single down.
    Point is they put up gaudy statistics as well, and lets not make it out like WVU offense was some sort of pro style offense. Smith threw the ball 518 times last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm tired of giving Rex every single 1st round pick for D. He's a brilliant defensive mind, let him take some some lower round picks and turn them into great players. We finally have a competent OC, why not give him some high-end talent to work with?
    the only offensive skill guy i can see the jets taking at 9 or 13 is austin. that being said, if they trade back i think it opens it up considerably.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so you want to reach on a pick in the first just because you dont want Rex to get a defensive player?? Come on now, lets not get silly. Again, if the talent is there take the offensive guy, but the way it looks now defensive players may present the best value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Point is they put up gaudy statistics as well, and lets not make it out like WVU offense was some sort of pro style offense. Smith threw the ball 518 times last year.
    When West Virginia played out of conference, their passing game was still top notch. That included a game against SEC "juggernaut" LSU. Bama could barely even score 1 TD in 2 games against that same LSU D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so you want to reach on a pick in the first just because you dont want Rex to get a defensive player?? Come on now, lets not get silly. Again, if the talent is there take the offensive guy, but the way it looks now defensive players may present the best value.
    i guess you can throw eifert into the mix. he would really help the offense and would be a reasonable pick at 13 if they get it. that would be something, if the jets got, say, austin and eifert.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i guess you can throw eifert into the mix. he would really help the offense and would be a reasonable pick at 13 if they get it. that would be something, if the jets got, say, austin and eifert.
    I would take Eifert at 13 in a second.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say reach, but let's not act like all the defensive names being tossed around are these sure things. Some of the guys that have been discussed barely even produced in college last season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would take Eifert at 13 in a second.
    it would be nice to have a big TE who can block and catch and be a matchup problem. all in one player.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it would be nice to have a big TE who can block and catch and be a matchup problem. all in one player.
    Yes it would, plus it makes to O line better as well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it would, plus it makes to O line better as well.
    yes. can help all phases of the offense, and is better than taking a guard there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes. can help all phases of the offense, and is better than taking a guard there.
    At least with a guy like Eifert they have to account for him as a blocker or a receiver. Last year the Jets essentially used Jason Smith as the blocking TE, thus eliminating the mystery if the TE was going to involved as a receiver.