Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don Banks from SI - interesting mock draft

Jets Insider VIP
    I wouldn't complain if we took Geno, but I want nothing to do with Mingo.

The guy is built like a safety and can't shed a block to save his life. He relies purely on his athleticism. It's also pretty damn alarming that he elected not to lift at both the combine and his pro day. The guy doesn't have much functional strength at all.

If Dion Jordan is gone, then Jarvis Jones is the only passrusher I'd take in the 1st round.

And did anyone see the gamechangers segment on NFL network with Damontre Moore and Alex Okafor? They came off as total f*cking idiots.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I wouldn't complain if we took Geno, but I want nothing to do with Mingo.

The guy is built like a safety and can't shed a block to save his life. He relies purely on his athleticism. It's also pretty damn alarming that he elected not to lift at both the combine and his pro day. The guy doesn't have much functional strength at all.

If Dion Jordan is gone, then Jarvis Jones is the only passrusher I'd take in the 1st round.

And did anyone see the gamechangers segment on NFL network with Damontre Moore and Alex Okafor? They came off as total f*cking idiots.
    No, but I hear Moore has not done well when interacting with NFL scouts and coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    At least with a guy like Eifert they have to account for him as a blocker or a receiver. Last year the Jets essentially used Jason Smith as the blocking TE, thus eliminating the mystery if the TE was going to involved as a receiver.
    Well to be fair, the mystery of whether the ball was going to be thrown to a Jets receiver or the opponent was also eliminated every time Mark Sanchez trotted out under center.

Hall Of Fame
    Here is more evidence of the lack of play makers in the top 15,

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    RT @LanceZierlein: According to league source, Cordarrelle Patterson may fall out of the 1st.> I've been hearing this a lot...

All League
    assuming we trade for the 13th pick....you take a austin or eifert in that spot, maybe cooper.

but it is a must that one of these guys be available at the 9 spot.

jordan
    lotulelei
    joeckel
    warmack
    fisher
    floyd
    ansah

NO MINGO OR GENO!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!

Veteran
    i would want to go Jones/Jordan/Ansah at 9, and Tavon Austin at 13

Veteran
    I think Jones will be gone by 9. Austin and Eifert keep coming up for me in that stupid draft game. Would not be sad at this result.

How about any two of: Star, Eifert, Austin, Jordan or Wormack.

As many stated, please no to mingo and geno.

Yes to some form of warmack/lotuleieileilei/tavon austin

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethead View Post
    I think Jones will be gone by 9. Austin and Eifert keep coming up for me in that stupid draft game. Would not be sad at this result.

How about any two of: Star, Eifert, Austin, Jordan or Wormack.

any of those 2 i am doing muther fing backflips

Undrafted Free Agent
    If the Jets draft Mingo and Smith - it would be a disaster. Mingo is a boom or bust poject - not a #9 pick. No way Idzik does this. Also, they are not drafting a QB in the first round. The Jets will get players - a DL like Star or an OL or safety. They are going to draft players who will play not players who might be great.

Hall Of Fame
    The fire Idzik thread would be very long if that was our draft.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The fire Idzik thread would be very long if that was our draft.
    Before we even played a game? Maybe from SAR and those of his ilk. If you want to be a negative poster, you're going to be negative. Fact is, if this organization can sit through 60+ games of bottom of the barrel QB play from Mark Sanchez (while paying him like an elite player at the position), we can certainly give Geno Smith at least a season at a modest salary to prove he can play. There are going to be people who absolutely despise what Idzik does in this draft no matter what route he takes. Our weakest position on the roster is QB and it's also the most important. I won't get mad at the guy for trying to address that position by taking the top prospect in this draft. Not to mention, some scouts do love Mingo (and like Mingo, Coples had a lot of question marks last year but now looks like a keeper).

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    assuming we trade for the 13th pick....you take a austin or eifert in that spot, maybe cooper.

but it is a must that one of these guys be available at the 9 spot.

jordan
    lotulelei
    joeckel
    warmack
    fisher
    floyd
    ansah

NO MINGO OR GENO!!!!!!! NO WAY!!!
    i like this.

What I do find interesting is that some of the absolute biggest and most vocal of critics of Mark Sanchez on this board are all proposing draft strategies that almost ensure he is the starter for 2013. Yet, come game 3 next season when Sanchez throws 4 INTs and the reality of another bottom 5 offense becomes concrete, these same posters will be screaming that we should have done more to address the QB situation this past offseason.

And knowing the franchise's luck, Rex's D will drag us to 6-7 wins again and we won't be in position to take one of the top QB prospects in 2014. If we did have a shot at Geno and passed, everything happening that I've just written is a distinct possibility.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What I do find interesting is that some of the absolute biggest and most vocal of critics of Mark Sanchez on this board are all proposing draft strategies that almost ensure he is the starter for 2013. Yet, come game 3 next season when Sanchez throws 4 INTs and the reality of another bottom 5 offense becomes concrete, these same posters will be screaming that we should have done more to address the QB situation this past offseason.

And knowing the franchise's luck, Rex's D will drag us to 6-7 wins again and we won't be in position to take one of the top QB prospects in 2014.
    Hey, if Geno falls to us then I have no problem taking him.

Otherwise, the only other QB's that I care for in this draft class are Glennon and Renfree. And it's not like those guys would start this year anyway. Hell, even if we took Geno there's a good chance that he holds the clipboard for his first year.

I've been one of the biggest anti-Sanchez posters on this board for well over a year now. But let's face it, he's most likely our starting QB this season.

It would be tough to pass up on Geno smith if he was sitting there at 9.

I really really would love the Jets to pick Star at 9 if he's there. He is easily a top 5 talent that could fall into our laps at 9.
    And if we do deal Revis for the 13th pick, I could do Austin/Warmack/Cooper/Eifert. I'm not sure if we would take Eifert based on reports that Idzik is in love with Zach Ertz in the 2nd. And I think we would take Austin if it's between those 3. He could have so much more of an impact than Warmack or Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Hey, if Geno falls to us then I have no problem taking him.

Otherwise, the only other QB's that I care for in this draft class are Glennon and Renfree. And it's not like those guys would start this year anyway. Hell, even if we took Geno there's a good chance that he holds the clipboard for his first year.

I've been one of the biggest anti-Sanchez posters on this board for well over a year now. But let's face it, he's most likely our starting QB this season.
    Well at least you would be OK with taking a shot at Smith, some of Sanchez's biggest haters are starkly opposed to it. I still think we have to bring in another option at QB no matter what. Unless Idzik is really planning on tanking 2013 for a high pick in 2014. The QB depth chart of Sanchez, Garrard, McElroy, and Tebow right now is seriously laughably bad. Only the Jaguars have a worse collection at the position, although it's close. Let's not forget that the Jags actually cut Garrard to play Gabbert.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 04-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

All League
    Charter JI Member

If we do get the 13 pick from the Bucs my preference would be to try like hell to trade out of the 9 spot and then take Tavon Austin at the 13 spot.

I just don't like the value at 9, hopefully someone has a major need and wants to trade up...maybe if Milner slips, or one of the tackles slips.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if the jets get tb's 13 pick he would be a very logical mix of drafting based on need and production. if the jets came out of round 1 with star and vacarro, i'd be upset the offense didn't get an upgrade but the defense would be much better.
    I have been hearing down here in Miami that the dolphins really like Vacarro and that he is a possibility at 12 if they don't move up for a tackle

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post

And knowing the franchise's luck, Rex's D will drag us to 6-7 wins again and we won't be in position to take one of the top QB prospects in 2014. If we did have a shot at Geno and passed, everything happening that I've just written is a distinct possibility.
    What you are failing to realize is that the Jets have a first year GM, who is taking over a team that failed at drafting a top 10 QB just 4 years ago. There are major questions as to whether the head coach will be here next year and thus the rest of the coaching staff. Now you want that GM to take Geno Smith with his first pick in his first draft, thus tying his fate with Smith. If I am Idzik there is NO WAY I draft Smith this year. I take safe, low risk prospects in the first and re-evaluate things next off season. I would much rather take a QB when I know who my head coach is going to be for the next several years.