Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Don Banks from SI - interesting mock draft

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    What I do find interesting is that some of the absolute biggest and most vocal of critics of Mark Sanchez on this board are all proposing draft strategies that almost ensure he is the starter for 2013. Yet, come game 3 next season when Sanchez throws 4 INTs and the reality of another bottom 5 offense becomes concrete, these same posters will be screaming that we should have done more to address the QB situation this past offseason.

And knowing the franchise's luck, Rex's D will drag us to 6-7 wins again and we won't be in position to take one of the top QB prospects in 2014. If we did have a shot at Geno and passed, everything happening that I've just written is a distinct possibility.
    Exactly. All the "wait for 2014 for a QB talk" makes little sense. Maybe Bridgewater and Manziel stay in school. Maybe they get injured, or take a major fall like Barkley his senior year. Maybe we aren't in a position to get any of next year's QBs.

If the Jets have a chance to select Smith at #9 or #13 or elsewhere, if they like him and think he can be a good pro starter, then they should pick him.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    What you are failing to realize is that the Jets have a first year GM, who is taking over a team that failed at drafting a top 10 QB just 4 years ago. There are major questions as to whether the head coach will be here next year and thus the rest of the coaching staff. Now you want that GM to take Geno Smith with his first pick in his first draft, thus tying his fate with Smith. If I am Idzik there is NO WAY I draft Smith this year. I take safe, low risk prospects in the first and re-evaluate things next off season. I would much rather take a QB when I know who my head coach is going to be for the next several years.
    exactly. idzik will want to establish his reputation for drafting productive guys who can start right away and as important, are not controversial. the jets do not need everyone in the country tracking gino's stats in nyc. it would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    If we do get the 13 pick from the Bucs my preference would be to try like hell to trade out of the 9 spot and then take Tavon Austin at the 13 spot.

I just don't like the value at 9, hopefully someone has a major need and wants to trade up...maybe if Milner slips, or one of the tackles slips.
    I dont think thats true at all. If the board falls like it does in this mock, Star represents so much value its not even funny. I would venture to say trade out of 13. I'm still up in the air about how good Austin/Geno could be. Only players I would want at 13 in that situation would be Eifert or Vaccaro.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    exactly. idzik will want to establish his reputation for drafting productive guys who can start right away and as important, are not controversial. the jets do not need everyone in the country tracking gino's stats in nyc. it would be a disaster.
    You can't think like that. It's ridiculous to say you don't want a QB because there's going to be spotlight on him. If the Jets suck this year and take Bridgewater next year, is there going to be any less spotlight??

If you don't want Geno that's fine. But there has to be better reasoning, FOOTBALL reasoning, behind your decision... Not that theres going to be spotlight on him.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    I dont think thats true at all. If the board falls like it does in this mock, Star represents so much value its not even funny. I would venture to say trade out of 13. I'm still up in the air about how good Austin/Geno could be. Only players I would want at 13 in that situation would be Eifert or Vaccaro.
    if the jets get pick 13 and don't trade out, at this point i'd be surprised if they don't get either vacarro or eifert. both are huge positions of need and the value is there and at least 1 is likely to be there if not both. the bigger question is what they'll do at 9 since so many of the pass rushers and wrs are projections and not based so much on production. also don't think they take a guard at 9. would be great if they can trade out of there somehow, or grab someone who falls like star. star/eifert would be a very good start to building the team.

You can't think like that. It's ridiculous to say you don't want a QB because there's going to be spotlight on him. If the Jets suck this year and take Bridgewater next year, is there going to be any less spotlight??
    didn't say spotlight. said controversy. the jets have 2 lightening rod qbs right now and don't need another. opinions are very split and varied on geno and new york ate up sanchez and spit him out. any qb drafted by this team MUST have the mental makeup to handle what comes with it. don't know if geno does or does not but in particular he'd be under intense pressure from day 1 that other qbs if drafted (ie, nassib) would not have to endure to the same extent.

Hall Of Fame

If you don't want Geno that's fine. But there has to be better reasoning, FOOTBALL reasoning, behind your decision... Not that theres going to be spotlight on him.
    Its not that you dont want the spotlight on your QB, it is you are tying your fate in your first draft to a QB that has a lot question marks and many feel should not even be selected in the first round to begin with.

didn't say spotlight. said controversy. the jets have 2 lightening rod qbs right now and don't need another. opinions are very split and varied on geno and new york ate up sanchez and spit him out. any qb drafted by this team MUST have the mental makeup to handle what comes with it. don't know if geno does or does not but in particular he'd be under intense pressure from day 1 that other qbs if drafted (ie, nassib) would not have to endure to the same extent.
    I certainlly can agree with you on that part, but no matter who the Jets draft at QB there is always going to be controversy, mostly because we are in the biggest market/spotlight in the U.S.
    Even if we draft Bridgewater next year and Sanchez and Tebow are off the team, do you think there is going to be any less controversy? I don't. The media will find a way to spin it and talk about how bad tebow and sanchez were, and can the Jets develop this guy the right way?Unlike Sanchez.

All I'm saying is, if Idzik, or any other GM for that matter believe a QB is the answer, you can't not draft him because of the "media headlines" that will come with it.

Its not that you dont want the spotlight on your QB, it is you are tying your fate in your first draft to a QB that has a lot question marks and many feel should not even be selected in the first round to begin with.
    I'm not going to get into the Geno Smith has this talent or lacks that. It's not the thread. Personally, I'm not to sure what to think of him.

But I'll reiterate, if Idzik or any scout on the staff (i.e: Terry Bradway was high on Russell Wilson last year) think Geno is going to be a great NFL player, then I would hope they take him. I don't believe you can make decisions on taking a player because of your situation at QB and how the media would spin it.

I certainlly can agree with you on that part, but no matter who the Jets draft at QB there is always going to be controversy, mostly because we are in the biggest market/spotlight in the U.S.
    Even if we draft Bridgewater next year and Sanchez and Tebow are off the team, do you think there is going to be any less controversy? I don't. The media will find a way to spin it and talk about how bad tebow and sanchez were, and can the Jets develop this guy the right way?Unlike Sanchez.

All I'm saying is, if Idzik, or any other GM for that matter believe a QB is the answer, you can't not draft him because of the "media headlines" that will come with it.
    it's not about what the media would do. it's how the player would handle the situation. the jets can't draft a guy who can't handle it. we just saw that. whoever qbs the jets has to be able to handle it. whichever qb they draft they must believe the kid can handle it. throw in the issue that geno appears to be a polarizing prospect and it brings even more pressure/scrutiny to it. i just don't like him as a fit in ny. a qb with issues reading defenses after suffering watching another qb who couldn't read defenses wouldn't go over well here.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not going to get into the Geno Smith has this talent or lacks that. It's not the thread. Personally, I'm not to sure what to think of him.

But I'll reiterate, if Idzik or any scout on the staff (i.e: Terry Bradway was high on Russell Wilson last year) think Geno is going to be a great NFL player, then I would hope they take him. I don't believe you can make decisions on taking a player because of your situation at QB and how the media would spin it.
    Again, it has nothing to do with the media.

Hall Of Fame
    it's not about what the media would do. it's how the player would handle the situation. the jets can't draft a guy who can't handle it. we just saw that. whoever qbs the jets has to be able to handle it. whichever qb they draft they must believe the kid can handle it. throw in the issue that geno appears to be a polarizing prospect and it brings even more pressure/scrutiny to it. i just don't like him as a fit in ny. a qb with issues reading defenses after suffering watching another qb who couldn't read defenses wouldn't go over well here.
    Not only that but, there is still a massive question mark as to who the head coach of the Jets is going to be in 2014. Do we really want to give Rex a second top 10 QB to develop ?? How many coaches get to draft TWO top 10 QBs in 4 years?

Exactly. Any first round QB we take in any year's draft is going to have a huge spotlight on him. If Geno slipped to us at #13, I would think he may even have a bit of a chip on his shoulder from a number of teams passing on him so that they could start highly questionable, if not outright bad, players at the position (Gabbert, Flynn, Kolb, Palmer, etc.). I'm with you, if the team likes him, I don't think you adopt a "don't rock the boat because Rex may not even be here next year" strategy. I'll tell you one thing, Idzik won't live down passing on a QB that turns into a star only to hand the reigns to Sanchez for another year. Plenty of teams have taken chances in the past when they could have played it safe. Green Bay didn't have to draft Rodgers with Favre still around. Seahawks didn't have to use a 3rd rounder on a QB (Wilson) when they just spent big money on a QB in free agency. Sometimes you have to take risks.

Also, the idea that going into 2013 with arguably the worst QB in football is somehow the "safe" move is kind of hilarious to begin with. NFL is a win-now league, there is nothing "safe" about playing a terrible player at the game's most important position with no concrete plan in place to replace him.

Again, it has nothing to do with the media.
    Someone above was talking about "controversy" because we have Sanchez and Tebow. Who creates that controversy?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Exactly. All the "wait for 2014 for a QB talk" makes little sense. Maybe Bridgewater and Manziel stay in school. Maybe they get injured, or take a major fall like Barkley his senior year. Maybe we aren't in a position to get any of next year's QBs.

If the Jets have a chance to select Smith at #9 or #13 or elsewhere, if they like him and think he can be a good pro starter, then they should pick him.
    Yep. IMO, Rex is a good enough head coach and puts out a good enough D to make me think this team is not going to "bottom out" next season, or any season with him at the helm. 6-10 is probably bottoming out under Rex. And you need to "bottom out" to ensure being able to draft the type of QB prospect the fanbase seems to want.

I do like Bridgewater, but if he is as good as advertised, we need to go 2-14 next season to ensure drafting him. That's hard to do if you have a top 10, maybe even top 8, D.

Would love this draft.....My favorite 2 players for us

I am pretty much ignoring any mock that has us with the 13 pick at this point. Unless it is a trade down that just isn't going to happen. Revis will be here in camp to start the year.