Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Don Banks from SI - interesting mock draft

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Don Banks from SI - interesting mock draft

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...1_a3&eref=sihp

    Has us trading Revis to Tampa for #13 (he doesn't specify the other picks we'd receive), then selecting Barkevius Mingo at #9 and then Geno Smith at #13. Personally, I'd go Jones over Mingo and I think in this scenario if you want Smith you have to take him at #9 just in case somebody jumps in front of you before he drops to #13. One of the pass rushers Jets want would probably still be on the board at #13.

    I would take this Revis trade and first round. I think it would give me a lot more optimism for 2013 season.

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two swing for the fences picks. Could work out and be the foundation for a dynasty or it could be an epic fail.

    But I would give them credit for at least trying for greatness.

    I much prefer this scenario than a Vaccaro/Cooper or Wamack/Austin combination.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Two swing for the fences picks. Could work out and be the foundation for a dynasty or it could be an epic fail.

    But I would give them credit for at least trying for greatness.

    I much prefer this scenario than a Vaccaro/Cooper or Wamack/Austin combination.
    i dont' think the jets will take gino. maybe austin.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Two swing for the fences picks. Could work out and be the foundation for a dynasty or it could be an epic fail.

    But I would give them credit for at least trying for greatness.

    I much prefer this scenario than a Vaccaro/Cooper or Wamack/Austin combination.
    True, I just cant see Idzik hitching his wagon to Geno in his first draft.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True, I just cant see Idzik hitching his wagon to Geno in his first draft.
    also, mingo is a question as well. i'd think they'd go with star in this scenario, he's a much safer pick with as much upside.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Two swing for the fences picks. Could work out and be the foundation for a dynasty or it could be an epic fail.

    But I would give them credit for at least trying for greatness.

    I much prefer this scenario than a Vaccaro/Cooper or Wamack/Austin combination.
    Agreed, this would be a very bold draft. So far, that hasn't been Idzik's style. But then again, if he takes Smith and the guy beats out Sanchez and has a great rookie year while Mingo is a terror on Rex's once-again top 5 D, Idzik will look like a genius. My guess is he'd play it more safe in his first year

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    also, mingo is a question as well. i'd think they'd go with star in this scenario, he's a much safer pick with as much upside.
    Agreed. I think the word "safe" is going to be used a lot to describe the Jets first round selection(s) this year.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Agreed, this would be a very bold draft. So far, that hasn't been Idzik's style. But then again, if he takes Smith and the guy beats out Sanchez and has a great rookie year while Mingo is a terror on Rex's once-again top 5 D, Idzik will look like a genius. My guess is he'd play it more safe in his first year
    We have no idea what his style is. If you ask me, I would say he's already leaning toward he bold side.

    He didn't take any veteran QBs like Alex Smith and he's most certainly trading one of the best players to ever wear a Jets jersey.

    Pretty fukin bold.

    We will know more about his style after the draft. All we know at this point is that he's good at keeping items in house.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    3,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would puke if this was our first round!!!

    i do not want either of those 2 bust picks!!!

    if the draft breaks like that... give me star lotulelei at the 9 spot....a great pick and value there.....then give me a offensive weapon at 13....austin or eifert.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed. I think the word "safe" is going to be used a lot to describe the Jets first round selection(s) this year.
    i read somewhere that idzik's philosophy is to draft based on production and not potential. if that's true, then they won't take guys like mingo and patterson, to name two guys who are ranked mostly based on athleticism and potential. basically the opposite of tanny, who took chances on sanchez, gholston, ducasse, etc.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    3,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i read somewhere that idzik's philosophy is to draft based on production and not potential. if that's true, then they won't take guys like mingo and patterson, to name two guys who are ranked mostly based on athleticism and potential. basically the opposite of tanny, who took chances on sanchez, gholston, ducasse, etc.
    if thats the case....jarvis jones is the pick....i hope not.

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i read somewhere that idzik's philosophy is to draft based on production and not potential. if that's true, then they won't take guys like mingo and patterson, to name two guys who are ranked mostly based on athleticism and potential. basically the opposite of tanny, who took chances on sanchez, gholston, ducasse, etc.
    Thats is true, production over potential. You could even add Hill to that list.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    if thats the case....jarvis jones is the pick....i hope not.
    medical concerns and he's 2 years older than other prospects. no thanks.

    i wouldn't be surprised if they took austin and vacarro in the two rounds. or star, i think if he falls to them he's a jet. that would be one big bad dline.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats is true, production over potential. You could even add Hill to that list.
    another good one. idzik will hopefully take guys who can produce in year 1.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i read somewhere that idzik's philosophy is to draft based on production and not potential. if that's true, then they won't take guys like mingo and patterson, to name two guys who are ranked mostly based on athleticism and potential. basically the opposite of tanny, who took chances on sanchez, gholston, ducasse, etc.
    Gholston was pretty productive, he had a large number of sacks his final season at Ohio State. I could see this as philosophy, especially if he was involved in drafting Wilson, who was super productive his senior year at Wisconsin, but was said to have limited potential because of his size.

  16. #16
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hanover, PA
    Posts
    3,424
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    medical concerns and he's 2 years older than other prospects. no thanks.

    i wouldn't be surprised if they took austin and vacarro in the two rounds. or star, i think if he falls to them he's a jet. that would be one big bad dline.
    agree....i want star bad!!! Star, couples and wilkerson for the next decade!!

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    medical concerns and he's 2 years older than other prospects. no thanks.

    i wouldn't be surprised if they took austin and vacarro in the two rounds. or star, i think if he falls to them he's a jet. that would be one big bad dline.
    I am starting to really like the idea of getting Vacarro. Watch him cover Austin in the WVU game, guy has really good coverage ability for a safety.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats is true, production over potential. You could even add Hill to that list.
    I know the contingent that is anti-Geno Smith may not want to hear this, but if he really values production, Smith might be pretty high on our draft board. 4K yards, 72% completion, 42 TDs, and 6 INTs is going to look considerably better than anything any of the other QB prospects put up last season.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am starting to really like the idea of getting Vacarro. Watch him cover Austin in the WVU game, guy has really good coverage ability for a safety.
    if the jets get tb's 13 pick he would be a very logical mix of drafting based on need and production. if the jets came out of round 1 with star and vacarro, i'd be upset the offense didn't get an upgrade but the defense would be much better.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,511
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I know the contingent that is anti-Geno Smith may not want to hear this, but if he really values production, Smith might be pretty high on our draft board. 4K yards, 72% completion, 42 TDs, and 6 INTs is going to look considerably better than anything any of the other QB prospects put up last season.
    qb's are graded on more than just those stats, their tape is dissected beyond belief.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us