Thread: First and Last 2013 Jets Mock

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

First and Last 2013 Jets Mock

Been holding off on doing a mock until the Revis saga was over. I think there is a very good chance we trade down from 13 but I am not going to entertain that in this mock. Only going to include the first three rounds. Well here it is:

#9 - Warmack/Cooper. If both are available we go Warmack. If Warmack is gone we go Cooper. Simple enough. I think Idzik is going to play it safe with this pick. Both players are safe and good.

#13 - Tyler Eifert. Might be a slight reach depending on who you talk to but I think once you get out of the Top 10, the next 10 are pretty much the same. Not only replaces Keller but he is an upgrade. We finally get our automatic mismatch. Hooray!!!

#39 - DeAndre Hopkins. Deep threat. Good hands. Might not be there at 39, but, if he is, pair him up with Hill on the outside and let Holmes and Kerley work underneath. All of a sudden our skilled players might scare someone.

#72 - Shamarko Thomas. Hard hitting safety with speed. Can blitz and play the run. Also good in man coverage. Will be an instant STs ace.

ZOMG!! No OLB or QB ....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hells yeah

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it. Start/continue building a foundation on offense, get a QB next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love it except for the Thomas pick. Guy is too short and has major health concern red flags and would be a huge reach in the third. I just think there will be a much better player available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign me up!!!!
    2 of my great 8 at the 9&13

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Been holding off on doing a mock until the Revis saga was over. I think there is a very good chance we trade down from 13 but I am not going to entertain that in this mock. Only going to include the first three rounds. Well here it is:

#9 - Warmack/Cooper. If both are available we go Warmack. If Warmack is gone we go Cooper. Simple enough. I think Idzik is going to play it safe with this pick. Both players are safe and good.
    The way I understand it, Warmack is more of a mauler, but Cooper is more athletic and can play all three interior positions. If this is true, I'd rather spend the high pick on the guy that can play more than one position, and look for a bruiser later in the draft.

#13 - Tyler Eifert. Might be a slight reach depending on who you talk to but I think once you get out of the Top 10, the next 10 are pretty much the same. Not only replaces Keller but he is an upgrade. We finally get our automatic mismatch. Hooray!!!
    I still think the TE is more a product of the QB than vice-versa. If MM wants the guy, I'm on board. But from what I hear he's just not elite, and if that's the case #13 is just too rich for my blood -- I'd rather roll the dice on a pass rusher

#39 - DeAndre Hopkins. Deep threat. Good hands. Might not be there at 39, but, if he is, pair him up with Hill on the outside and let Holmes and Kerley work underneath. All of a sudden our skilled players might scare someone.
    This one I like. MM needs weapons, and adding this guy at #39 feels a lot better than a TE @ 13.

#72 - Shamarko Thomas. Hard hitting safety with speed. Can blitz and play the run. Also good in man coverage. Will be an instant STs ace.
    Agree we need a quality S, just don't follow CF enough to know who that'll be.

I know we need to improve the O, but I still think I want to go 2/2 instead of 3/1 with O and D picks . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ZOMG!! No OLB or QB ....
    Totally fine with the "no QB". OLB I assume we'd fill out in the remaining rounds (not sure what the quality will be like, but we need to bring some guys in at the position).

Like it; depending on what happens in the remaining rounds I'd love it.

One question - would you consider Austin instead of Eifert at 13, and if so where do you go at #39? Maybe OLB? Or stick to TE?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. Realistic haul. No "mistakes".

Unless Jordan or Jones is there I would be fine with big OL and TE.
    Might take Glennon or Manuel over WR if available.
    We can do better than Shemarko in 3rd round

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best mock I've seen.

While I would love to see them trade down. If they can't (and realize they likely can't) sounds great.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job. Would love to have Eifert and Hopkins.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dislike the Eifert pick. Okay with cooper/warmack, love the hopkins pick. Shamarko is going to be injured at lot at the next level ala bob sanders.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    These mock drafts are fun as hell aren't they. the only ones I really don't like that involve Mingo at 9 and Austin at 13.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really starting to be ok with Eiffert pick... I saw a few mocks with the Eiffel Tower gong to Cleveland.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hopkins is a money receiver. Really great hands and focus. Just don't think he'll be there at #39. Keenan Allen very well might be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ZOMG!! No OLB or QB ....

I can live with this only if Garrard beats out Sanchez. I mean realistically we go into next season with the worst collection of talent at QB maybe in the entire league, which I find unacceptable. But Idzik may not have the balls to pick QB high in his first draft. In which case this draft would be solid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Swap Swearinger for Thomas.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I am just going to respond without quoting.

TBH I struggled with the Sharmarko Thomas pick. All of the criticism is warranted. He does play very rough for a man his size, a la Bob Sanders. I would prefer to take Swearinger there but he might not be available. I have seen projections with Swearinger going in the 2nd round.

I understand going into this season with the current QBs is a tough pill to swallow but I don't think any of these guys will become a franchise QB and I think teams will reach for some of them so they won't be there for us to pick anyways. I also don't think Idzik is going to give Rex another young QB. I really believe Rex is just serving out his contract and will be gone unless a miracle happens.

I noted that Hopkins probably won't be there but if he is still on the board say 5 picks ahead of where we are picking I wouldn't be opposed to moving up if the price is decent. Especially if we have already moved down from 13. I think he is going to be a good player.

I prefer Eifert over Austin but I would not be upset if we took Austin instead of Eifert @ 13. And if we took Austin that would change my thinking @ 39. I would definitely consider an OLB or maybe even Safety depending if a guy like Cyprien is there which would then free up the 72nd pick.