Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Case Against Jarvis Jones

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Line him up next to Wilkerson or Coples and he probably won't be facing many double teams here either.

They can't double Wilk, Coples and Jones at the same time.
    That is how he would have to be used, I agree, but what about the other side of the Dline? If we set him next to wilkerson and put someone like pace (yes 1 more year isnt a bad idea for $1.5 mil per) then jones could be "freed up".

However thats the thing with him IMO, that he will need to be protected. On obvious passing downs, if we went with wilk, coples, barnes and a guy like ansah, that is a 4 man front that can wreak havoc. With a guy like jones, if we match him 1-1 with an NFL OT, im not sure how he will fare....we would probably need to bring a blitzer and let him really get a mismatch that he can exploit. Not a terrible situation, but different and more scheme dependent then someone like ansah.

@ConorTOrr: Spoke with Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones today, who said the #Jets are high on him heading into Thursday | http://t.co/zqx1B9E8pW

FYI-I heard Polian say last night that (paraphrasing) he has concerns taking Jones because he "would be bucking the numbers" with his workout times.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @ConorTOrr: Spoke with Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones today, who said the #Jets are high on him heading into Thursday | http://t.co/zqx1B9E8pW
    best news of the month.

Jones just can't be great... he's not fast enough and he's not strong enough to make up for it. Tackles with length will just give him too much of a problem at the next level.

Best case scenario is a player good against the run and a guy who maxes out at 10 sacks. Definitely not a bad thing to get, but I'm hoping for more.

Mingo, Ansah and Jordan are all above him in my opinion. I do think Jarvis will be better in the first year though. After that, all three of the above pass him by. Although Jordan may just be great from the start.

All Pro
    I'm as sure of Jones being productive as I was about Coples.

I was positive on Coples. Didn't think we'd draft him due to the fact that he works out better on the inside (pass rushing), but I thought he'd be good.

Jones I think will produce to a certain degree, just no chance at double digit sack years. And that's what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    My case for Jarvis Jones?

2011 - 70 tackles, 19.5 tackles for loss, 13.5 sacks
    2012 - 85 tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks.

Two great years in the toughest conference in college ball, not only that he improved after an already great year.

We constantly see players who do nothing and then have a huge last year before their draft. We constantly see guys who have a great years two years before their draft and then falter in their draft year.

He played to a very high level the last two years and you simply do not do that by accident, especially when other teams are aware of a player after he has a big year.

I'm still fully on the Jones bandwagon and for me his two years of great production hold up despite so so workouts. Mingo has potential but he is slight. Ansah is a massive boom or bust guy with a suspect resume. Dion Jordan supporters best answer to to him not putting up numbers is to simply say he has the potential and always dropped into coverage.

All of these guys have ?'s so I'll stick with two years of dominant proven production.
    You just sold me. I'm all in for Jarvis & Warmack in round 1!

@nfl: Jarvis Jones: Coaches say I won't get past @steelers http://t.co/drMy9NeUxP #NFLDraft

All Pro
    @nfl: Jarvis Jones: Coaches say I won't get past @steelers http://t.co/drMy9NeUxP #NFLDraft
    So if he's good enough for the steelers, why isn't he good enough for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    yeah it's too bad we're not the steelers and we can't draft the 4th best OLB prospect

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    A lot of people have fallen in love with Jarvis Jones. Claiming him to be the only legit pass rusher in this draft. Well, my question is why?

The average draft analyst looks at the stat sheet and says wow, available at 9!? sign me up! However, what really sells you on him as a prospect?

Was a sack artist in Georgia correct, but his main job was to rush the passer, and he pinned his ears back every single play, and rushed the passer every play. Also, he had an elite defense with him, and even greater an elite Defensive Line. 2 of his linemen will be picked within the first 2 days. His fellow Inside Backer will be a first round pick, his fellow OLB will be picked before the 4th round. 2 Safety's that will be in the NFL.

What stands out about Jarvis but the stat sheet? Does Jarvis overly impress you when you watch them? Not really to be honest.

Average burst, mediocre athleticism, lacks elite strength and build that a Terrell Suggs has. Also, he has health concerns, and going by the pattern he's projected to be out of the league in 5 years.

Give me Jordan and even Mingo over him any day of the week.
    Mingo is undersized, no thanks. I'd be happy with Jones or Jordan but definitely not Mingo.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Mingo is undersized, no thanks. I'd be happy with Jones or Jordan but definitely not Mingo.
    How is Mingo undersized? He's 6'4 240 while Jordan isn't at 6'7" 245?

All Pro
    How is Mingo undersized? He's 6'4 240 while Jordan isn't at 6'7" 245?
    Argue Mingo's production. Argue that he's still uncontrolled in his athleticism. Argue that he lacks upper body strength. But the too small argument is simply stupid. As are the Maybin comparisons for whole variety of reasons. If you don't like Mingo, then you can't possibly like Jordan. Just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    just threw it in this thread since it was a JJones thread