Thread: Prospect Showdown: Eifert vs. Ertz

All Pro

Prospect Showdown: Eifert vs. Ertz

Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

6'6" 250 40: 4.68 Bench: 22
    50 rec. 685 yards 4TD

(+) Fluid athlete with great hands and decent timed speed. Ball skills all day. Dude attacks the pigskin with fury every time it's thrown his way. Deep threat. Tough. Has gotten up after some big hits. Seems to play to his timed speed on gameday. Pretty good production. Shows up for big games.

(-) Average blocker. Not as fast as some other TEs. Must improve playing strength.

Zach Ertz, TE, Standford

6'5" 249 40: 4.76 Bench: 24
    69 rec. 898 6TD

(+) Plays faster than he times. Great hands and ability to high point the ball. He catches nearly everything in reach. Quality blocker with good form and effort. Has some moves and quickness in the open field -- can make guys miss. Good strength.

(-) Not a speed burner. Needs to get stronger.

Verdict:

Eifert has elite ball skills, not that Ertz is bad, but Eifert is on another level. He's a serious threat down the middle of the field and could change games. He will have DCs going crazy. If he grows into a fair blocker in the NFL, he will be a lot to worry about.

Ertz has skills with the ball in the air, but he falls short of Eifert's ability. He possesses a burst and uses that well to get open then turn and run. He's probably better after the catch that Eifert. I think Ertz has better top end speed, despite what the 40 time says.

For me, Eifert is worth the 9th overall pick.

Would prefer Eifert. Would be happy with Ertz, but Eifert is on another level.

Wouldnt take Eifert in the 1st though. Unless we trade down.

Jets Insider VIP
    When we get the 13th pick from Tampa (I think it's only a matter of time), then Eifert is on my short list.

Warmack and Eifert/Jones would be a nice way to start restocking the team.

If the Jets had the 13th pick as well, and could manage Jones, and then had Warmack and Eifert sitting there, I would still pick Warmack, and then a TE later. As enticing as Eifert is, Warmack is the player the Jets need on offense to make a lot of things better around them.

Jones
    Warmack
    Ertz or Lacy (doubt Lacy is there)

That would instantly make people excited for the season.

Eifert is a solid player. He's begun to grow on me, but I have some concerns.

- Not as strong as a Gronk.

- Not as athletic as a Graham, Hernandez, Davis

- Not the blocker that a Witten is.

So who is he?

I know it's lofty but I can see a little Tony Gonzo in the fact that he catches the ball at the highest point with every ball. As a DB I know how frustrating that is.

I think he'll be a solid pro. I have a lot of concerns, I'd love him at 39. Wouldn't touch him at 9 or 13.

All Pro
    Eifert is the bomb. Y'all have to trust me on this. THIS is our year!

Eifert/Escobar/Reed... I want two of them.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Eifert is the bomb. Y'all have to trust me on this. THIS is our year!

Eifert/Escobar/Reed... I want two of them.
    I don't think there's any chance they pick 2. But they need at least one.

Eifert. I'm in.

The Gonzalez comparison is pretty good...that's the upside.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I don't think there's any chance they pick 2. But they need at least one.

Eifert. I'm in.

The Gonzalez comparison is pretty good...that's the upside.
    Why not pick two? You know who did it a few years ago. We're utterly depleted of talent at the position, and kinda shored up at others. I'm not saying RB/WR couldn't stand an upgrade, but can't ignore that we need a couple guys.

Image this--
    9--Star
    13--Eifert
    39--Allen
    3rd (A) Collins
    3rd (B) Reed
    4th Bailey (OG)

It's the anti Paradis (offensively heavy) but i get me my 2 TEs

Why not pick two? You know who did it a few years ago. We're utterly depleted of talent at the position, and kinda shored up at others. I'm not saying RB/WR couldn't stand an upgrade, but can't ignore that we need a couple guys.

Image this--
    9--Star
    13--Eifert
    39--Allen
    3rd (A) Collins
    3rd (B) Reed
    4th Bailey (OG)

It's the anti Paradis (offensively heavy) but i get me my 2 TEs
    Star is a 3-4 DE. Why!? I will forever hate that pick.

My dream:
    9. Jordan
    13. Patterson
    39. Eifert
    72. Barret Jones
    73. Rambo
    104. Barner

Heavy on dream aha.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    No he's not (doesn't matter even if he was), but he can play NT - I assure you of that.

1. Star Lotulelei, Utah: Lotulelei will be pegged as a nose tackle, but he can be much more. He has improved backfield vision, maximizing his strength at the point of attack and footwork in penetration. Lotulelei also played on 91.2 percent of Utah's defensive snaps in 2012, a ridiculous number for an interior lineman.

Veteran

My dream:
    9. Jordan
    13. Patterson -
    39. Eifert
    72. Barret Jones
    73. Rambo
    104. Barner

Heavy on dream aha.
    No way eifert is there at 39.

9 jordan
    13 - trade down 5-7 spots and pick up another 2. Eifert
    39 wr
    {2 from trade) guard

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Eifert is a solid player. He's begun to grow on me, but I have some concerns.

- Not as strong as a Gronk.

- Not as athletic as a Graham, Hernandez, Davis

- Not the blocker that a Witten is.

So who is he?

I know it's lofty but I can see a little Tony Gonzo in the fact that he catches the ball at the highest point with every ball. As a DB I know how frustrating that is.

I think he'll be a solid pro. I have a lot of concerns, I'd love him at 39. Wouldn't touch him at 9 or 13.
    Eifert is a better version of John Carlson who came out of Notre Dame a few years ago. Should be a good receiving TE in the NFL and deadly in the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    No way eifert is there at 39.

9 jordan
    13 - trade down 5-7 spots and pick up another 2. Eifert
    39 wr
    {2 from trade) guard

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Eifert probably won't (though TE's are known to drop the same way RB's do sometimes) but most likely Ertz is there waiting for us at 39. I honestly think you can't go wrong with either one.

Eifert has everything this Jet team needs on offense!
    If we get 13 from the Bucs, I'm thinking this is as no brainer pick if he's on the board.
    Jets were horrible in the Redzone in 2012. But in 2011, they were very good in the Redzone.
    Eifert is unstoppable in the RZ, much like Graham in that guys that are 6'-5" that can high point passes are the QBs best friend.
    That opens everything up & makes Hill even that much more dangerous because he also can jump through the roof, Hill needs to learn to catch.
    If Holmes comes back healthy, he's another toe tapper that can work the entire end zone.
    With Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Eifert, that's plenty of weapons to do some damage.
    Add a back like Gio in the 3rd round & you have a nice mix of versatile backs, Powell as the Swiss Army knife, Goodson as your home run hitter & Gio as your Ray Rice compact power back.
    I can't wait for this draft, I have a good feeling about this Idzik guy. This organization needs this calm quiet approach.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Eifert has everything this Jet team needs on offense!
    If we get 13 from the Bucs, I'm thinking this is as no brainer pick if he's on the board.
    Jets were horrible in the Redzone in 2012. But in 2011, they were very good in the Redzone.
    Eifert is unstoppable in the RZ, much like Graham in that guys that are 6'-5" that can high point passes are the QBs best friend.
    That opens everything up & makes Hill even that much more dangerous because he also can jump through the roof, Hill needs to learn to catch.
    If Holmes comes back healthy, he's another toe tapper that can work the entire end zone.
    With Holmes, Hill, Kerley, Eifert, that's plenty of weapons to do some damage.
    Add a back like Gio in the 3rd round & you have a nice mix of versatile backs, Powell as the Swiss Army knife, Goodson as your home run hitter & Gio as your Ray Rice compact power back.
    I can't wait for this draft, I have a good feeling about this Idzik guy. This organization needs this calm quiet approach.
    Love this... Eifert and Bernard would be the shot in the arm this offense needs.

Plenty of later round talent at RB but Bernard is going to be a player IMO. Franklin, Michael, Barner, and even Theo Riddick late would be a nice addition.

Love the idea of going 2 TE's too... but that would be a luxury we can afford only with extra TB picks.

No he's not (doesn't matter even if he was), but he can play NT - I assure you of that.
    First off not big and strong enough. 2nd it's not his skillset.

Why do you think Mayock has Star as a 3-4 DE. Terrible fit.

All Pro
    First off not big and strong enough. 2nd it's not his skillset.

Why do you think Mayock has Star as a 3-4 DE. Terrible fit.
    Mayock also had werner as the top 4-3 DE... the guy's slipping.

Sorry, disagree. He's strong enough, ridiculously so.

Mayock also had werner as the top 4-3 DE... the guy's slipping.

Sorry, disagree. He's strong enough, ridiculously so.
    Werner is a 4-3 DE. I'd go Ansah, Moore, Werner, Tank, Mongomery. His lists arent bad at all. Find me one person working in the business that views him as a 3-4 NG. He's a 3-4 End. Trust me. That's why no one has Oakland grabbing him, or even Jax. That's why he's dropping to 10 in most mocks.