Thread: T.J. McDonald

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

T.J. McDonald

Last year, there was talk of him perhaps being a better prospect than Barron before he decided to return to USC.

Now he's being talked about as a 4th/5th round pick.

The Trojans defense blew last year, but did he really regress that badly?

What gives?

I know his pops is our new DB coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good call Untouchable: could be going under the radar, some articles say bad CB play and Kiffen experimentation may have hurt last years stats, looks like he could be a good fit, TJ Smash?

If there’s one thing that’s been evidently passed down from father to son, it’s their shared aggressive playing style. A look on YouTube will reveal McDonald laying big hits just like his father did. Even though the elder McDonald played in an age before YouTube, his son has enjoyed watching their similar approach to the game on film.

“Stay out of the way. That would be the best thing I could say,” McDonald said. “He was a very physical player, somebody who was a leader. He was very impactful on the defense, made his presence felt at all times. He was always around the ball. That was something I noticed. He was around the ball.”

And what’s the main mantra he’s learned from his father?

“Just to be relentless at all times,” Tim Jr. said. “You want to be relentless and don’t let people stop you from getting to the ball. He always tells you there are only two kinds of football players – those who have been beaten and those who are going to get beat.”

When it comes to role models, it would be tough to find a better one for McDonald.

Tim Sr. joined the 49ers in 1993 and stayed with the team until he retired in 1999, only missing one regular season game in the process. He racked up 20 interceptions, four touchdowns, nine fumble recoveries, four forced fumbles, three Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl ring. Not to mention he was also recently signed by the New York Jets to be the team’s defensive backs coach.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/...4-3e35ab913b37

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does he have the speed and ball skills necessary to play FS or is he more of a SS type?

Sounds like he would be a nice pickup in the 5th.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He would be a nice pick up if we haven't already addressed the position by then.

I want Rambo in the 4th, looked good in the senior bowl, and I just want a guy called "Rambo" on our team!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    He would be a nice pick up if we haven't already addressed the position by then.

I want Rambo in the 4th, looked good in the senior bowl, and I just want a guy called "Rambo" on our team!
    You might have to settle for "Tebow". Hey, at least it rhymes...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    My milestone 100th post is responding to a Tim Tebow comment

My god...thanks NYCdan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is more the depth at S here. There are 16-20 really good S prospects in this class. When you have guys like Duke Williams, Robert Lester, and Tony Jefferson listed as 5th rounders that is a pretty strong group.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Does he have the speed and ball skills necessary to play FS or is he more of a SS type?

Sounds like he would be a nice pickup in the 5th.
    TJ is more of a SS but has had 2-3 interceptions every year at USC

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...ald?id=2539309

Rambo is the FS so Jets can draft both

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terrible coverage Safety.

Taylor Mays clone. Guy can't cover.

There's a reason why he fell down 3 rounds. He was exploited last year. Just like Mays..

- Also, he's an in the box safety. Can't play him out the box. Pass.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    No it doesn't...

Tebow/Rebow

Tambo/Rambo

Just sayin...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy should be picked just for his name.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Pretty sure we did already when KenYon Rambo was briefly on the roster!!

Much as I want to love Bacarri I have yet to come away impressed with him although he could just be one of those guys with a happy knack of being a playmaker...certainly is a bit shy in contact and Shawn Williams and Sanders Commings tend to catch the eye more when watching that Georgia secondary.

Commings could be one to watch..underrated

Quite like TJ especially if we're talking 5th round....Was surprised Antonio Allen went as late as he did so maybe McDonald does too..Maybe the knock on he is consistency(or lack of)and he's not as physically imposing as you'd like from a guy his size.