Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mingo and Jones

Mingo and Jones

Ok this is probably crazy. I thought of this today. Let me know what you think. If we trade Revis for the 13th pick et al. Do we draft Mingo at 9 and Jarvis Jones at 13. If we did that Rex Ryan would be running the show. That being said we could have a fantastic pass rush and help us not miss Revis. Maybe I'm crazy don't know but just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis byrd 90 View Post
    Ok this is probably crazy. I thought of this today. Let me know what you think. If we trade Revis for the 13th pick et al. Do we draft Mingo at 9 and Jarvis Jones at 13. If we did that Rex Ryan would be running the show. That being said we could have a fantastic pass rush and help us not miss Revis. Maybe I'm crazy don't know but just a thought.
    Yep, your crazy!

SO.........we drafted Dline in the first round 2010 2011 2012 and we wll go D twice in the first round of 2013......and people wonder why we have no talent on offense.....

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd be beyond pissed if we did this.

With two Top 15 picks, we better devote at least one of them to the offense. Either an OL like Warmack/Cooper or a playmaker like Eifert or Austin.

If Rex is such a genius defensive guru, then why the hell do we need to keep devoting 1st round picks to that side of the ball year after year just to field a Top 10 unit?

I also don't understand why people are still obsessed with this philosophy of building some sort of "superunit" on defense when it's been proven that you need an effective offense to win a championship and ours struggles just to score 10 points a game.

I'm a fan of both guys, but at the same times I wouldn't like that.

Reason being we only need one. Having both is a luxury. And we're not in any position to be making luxury picks. We've got a bunch of other needs that must be addressed. So picking both Mingo & Jones would be counter productive.

I'm not opposed to double dipping at OLB. But in the 1st round? Nah, not a good idea at all.

All Pro
    I'll be on suicide watch if we take Mingo.

Veteran
    when we pick if both players are on the board you pick Mingo not JJones. I notice a lot of people talk of Mingo did not do good last season at LSU only 5 sacks and Jones had a whole lot more, what they fail to realize practically on every play Mingo was double team where he really had to work for these sacks, Jones on the other hand had plenty and i mean PLENTY of free rushes on QB causing for all these sacks. now it could have been the way GA run the scheme defense, i watch a lot of GA Bulldogs football ( i leave in GA) i work with a bunch of bulldog fans and on many occassion they themselves would be surprise how unmarked and left with single coverage. Mingo is younger and need some polishing but i think he is the better athlete.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by J.E.T.Sfan4life View Post
    when we pick if both players are on the board you pick Mingo not JJones. I notice a lot of people talk of Mingo did not do good last season at LSU only 5 sacks and Jones had a whole lot more, what they fail to realize practically on every play Mingo was double team where he really had to work for these sacks, Jones on the other hand had plenty and i mean PLENTY of free rushes on QB causing for all these sacks. now it could have been the way GA run the scheme defense, i watch a lot of GA Bulldogs football ( i leave in GA) i work with a bunch of bulldog fans and on many occassion they themselves would be surprise how unmarked and left with single coverage. Mingo is younger and need some polishing but i think he is the better athlete.
    I don't give a sh*t. Boy won't even do a benchpress drill. He can go bust somewhere else.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I don't give a sh*t. Boy won't even do a benchpress drill. He can go bust somewhere else.
    last time i checked the NY JETS selected a player 6th overall that had (monster out of this world bench press) where is he now? he may be flipping burgers. so if you picking your draft picks on bench press ?????????????

All Pro
    don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd be beyond pissed if we did this.

With two Top 15 picks, we better devote at least one of them to the offense. Either an OL like Warmack/Cooper or a playmaker like Eifert or Austin.

If Rex is such a genius defensive guru, then why the hell do we need to keep devoting 1st round picks to that side of the ball year after year just to field a Top 10 unit?

I also don't understand why people are still obsessed with this philosophy of building some sort of "superunit" on defense when it's been proven that you need an effective offense to win a championship and ours struggles just to score 10 points a game.
    Certainly very true. Good points.

And I agree that, with the assumption we have #13 as well, one of those picks should either be one of the two elite guards or a skill position player like Eifert.

I don't really agree with your "if Rex is such a defensive guru..." rant, however. Point being is that on offense, we are guaranteed to be replacing 4 starters (LG, RG, TE, RB); on defense, we are guaranteed to be replacing 7 starters (NT, DE, LOLB, ROLB, ILB, SS, FS). Granted, we already do have two in-house replacements we will be expecting to start at DE (Coples), ILB (Davis), and potentially a third at NT (Ellis).

The bottom line is that the entire team has so many holes that while I won't be thrilled if we take two defensive players in the first, I'll be ok if they both pan out as excellent players. Face it, this team isn't competing until 2014 at the earliest. If the guy is talented, I don't give a crap what position he plays; we need a near complete roster overhaul. It's also the reason why I'm totally open to taking Warmack/Cooper at #9.

To respond to the OP:

I don't think Mingo/Jones would be good complements. While Mingo is more of the speed guy, the point remains that both guys play at <245 lbs. That's a little light in the pants for my liking when it comes to our bookend OLBs. I know we need to get faster and more explosive OLBs, but for comparison's sake, Pace and Thomas both played at 265 lbs.

Everyone makes fun of Mingo's strength, but Jarvis isn't exactly hercules either.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Everyone makes fun of Mingo's strength, but Jarvis isn't exactly hercules either.
    Mingo is definitely stronger than what he gets credit for on this site (as well as DI -- I think the Maybin comparison is lazy as hell).

My point is that each guy doesn't complement the other.

If for some reason two of the top three picks are OLBs, I'd much rather do a Mingo/Cooper first and then Moore/Carradine in the second (if one slips) or Mingo/Cooper then Collins/Okafor.

I like having a big guy complement a smaller, quicker guy as opposed to two guys who weigh ~240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Mingo is definitely stronger than what he gets credit for on this site (as well as DI -- I think the Maybin comparison is lazy as hell).

My point is that each guy doesn't complement the other.

If for some reason two of the top three picks are OLBs, I'd much rather do a Mingo/Cooper first and then Moore/Carradine in the second (if one slips) or Mingo/Cooper then Collins/Okafor.

I like having a big guy complement a smaller, quicker guy as opposed to two guys who weigh ~240 lbs.
    Honestly, I rather not go 2 PR.

Wilkerson and Coples will also give us a pass rush. A big 3 of Wilk, Coples, and Mingo can be dangerous. Give me a playmaker at Safety at an offense, and we're set.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I'll be on suicide watch if we take Mingo.
    +1

Mingo is the top guy I DON'T WANT....followed by j. Jones!!!

I would puke if these are the 2 busts we draft.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post
    Honestly, I rather not go 2 PR.

Wilkerson and Coples will also give us a pass rush. A big 3 of Wilk, Coples, and Mingo can be dangerous. Give me a playmaker at Safety at an offense, and we're set.
    I'm not advocating it either; I'm just tossing out possibilities here and the bottom line for me is that we hit on all of our early picks.

All I want on defense this year is one guy on the edge who is capable of winning one-on-one battles. Coples and Wilkerson are going to be freeing up a lot of those opportunities.

I'd go for Mingo in the 1st and Quanterus Smith in the 6th/7th

I wouldn't mind the mingo pick. He's a natural fit at OLB and is ridiculously quick. I like him and Jordan about the same. He clearly has to room to grow figuratively and literally but I think he'd do really well under rex. Jones on the other hand looks like he might have already peaked and I don't know if he's got the tools to do it in the nfl. He benefitted a lot from the system he was in
    Last edited by cant wait; 04-11-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    SO.........we drafted Dline in the first round 2010 2011 2012 and we wll go D twice in the first round of 2013......and people wonder why we have no talent on offense.....
    To be fair, the Jets haven't neglected the offense. In 2008, they spent a first rounder on Keller. In 2009, every draft pick was offense. They then traded for Braylon Edwards. In 2010, they traded for Santonio Holmes. They took Ducasse with a second round pick in 2010. In 2012, they spent a high second on Stephen Hill.

You can question how good those moves were, but the offense doesn't suck because of a lack of trying.