Thread: Jets sign K Derek Dimke

Veteran

Jets sign K Derek Dimke

It's clearly a knee jerk reaction to the Lions signing Kickalicious outta Norway.

rotoworld likens him as a camp leg signed to a 3 year contract.

@ConorTOrr: Punter Ryan Quigley RT @RQuigs46: Proud to be apart of Jet nation! Blessed for the opportunity and all the support! #JETS #BC

No way this guy beats out Folk for a job this year but we cant expect Folk to make every kick during every camp and pre-season. Xtra leg is exactly right.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Competition is vital.

Veteran
    Unless the reports are false why sign a camp leg to a 3 year deal?

Camp leg, nothing more. They could have given him a 10 year deal and he's still a camp leg. It's all about how the contract is written out and the guaranteed money - which I'm sure there is none. Unless Folk completely tanks it out there he'll be fine. Almost all teams bring in a camp leg. Even the Bucs, who just gave Connor Barth a huge deal last offseason, brought in Nate Keading as a camp leg.

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    Unless the reports are false why sign a camp leg to a 3 year deal?
    Pretty sure its a standard contract for these type of players - non-vested FAs...Highly doubt any real guaranteed money so if he's cut there isn't any cap hit

All Pro

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    No way this guy beats out Folk for a job this year but we cant expect Folk to make every kick during every camp and pre-season. Xtra leg is exactly right.
    Yup. Watched some of his workout vids on Youtube. Not very impressive - leg looks pretty weak. That's 5 minutes of my life wasted that I will never get back. Friggin' off season.

Banned
    The way the Jets are doing contracts this year compared to previous years is a little different. Idzik is giving all of these guys multiple year contracts that we can get out from under after 1 year. But if one of these guys blow up this season we at least have the ability to keep them for 2014 without having to give them a big raise. This is something that Tannenbaum screwed up with when he did the Landry contract. He could have put a 2nd year on that deal that was guaranteed after a certain date following last season which would have given us the ability to retain Landry this season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The way the Jets are doing contracts this year compared to previous years is a little different. Idzik is giving all of these guys multiple year contracts that we can get out from under after 1 year. But if one of these guys blow up this season we at least have the ability to keep them for 2014 without having to give them a big raise. This is something that Tannenbaum screwed up with when he did the Landry contract. He could have put a 2nd year on that deal that was guaranteed after a certain date following last season which would have given us the ability to retain Landry this season at least.
    Link to that? I don't recall that as an option to signing Landry? I would think if Landry's agents wanted that they would have allowed the franchise tag since that would have been approx $5-6M guaranteed $$.

Landry and his agents didn't want that. They wanted to be able to go to the FA market if he played a full season and the Jets wanted an out if he couldn't.

And the Sanchez contract is similar to what you stated except its for 2 yrs before you can get out of it. After that its a reasonable contract for a starting QB.

And the players the Jets have signed this season aren't top flight FAs which would command more of a contract that you couldn't get out of after 1 season.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articl...zextension.php

And 1 other piece of info. Scott Cohen, Asst GM, did the Barnes contract. I posted a thread about that a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by C Mart; 04-12-2013 at 03:04 PM.

I'm rooting for this kid- we need a little change from Folk now.

This guys sucks!!! WTF is Idzik doing!!!!!! SOJ GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!