Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day 1 Wish List

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    As in terms of both being busts or as in being similar players?

Maybin, Mingo, and Ayers are all completely different types of players.
    Maybin had zero functional strength and relied purely on his athleticism to run by OT's, so does Mingo.

Maybin had zero passrush moves to disengage besides a halfass spin move, same thing with Mingo.

Both are undersized, finnesse edge rushers. Both were/will be drafted high based on potential and athleticism, not necessarily production at the collegiate level.

I'd say they're pretty comparable.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    #9 Warmack

#13 Eifert

#39 Hopkins

Fix the goddamn offense already. Go defense in the rest of the draft for all I care.
    Alright, I'll bite. I'm a fan of each one of those players.

Where do we go from there for the rest of the draft? Give me some defensive names.

Rookie
    Maybin had zero functional strength and relied purely on his athleticism to run by OT's, so does Mingo.

Maybin had zero passrush moves to disengage besides a halfass spin move, same thing with Mingo.

Both are undersized, finnesse edge rushers. Both were/will be drafted high based on potential and athleticism, not necessarily production at the collegiate level.

I'm no fan of Mingo, but you're not comparing apples to apples.

Mingo played OLB, mostly, in college, without much production. Maybin was lined up at DE, for the most part, at PSU..... however, Maybin HAD production. He only played sparingly as a freshman--- with 4 sacks, a forced fumble and 4.5 tfls. As a sophomore, he had 49 tackles, 20 tfls, 3 ffs and 12 sacks. That's pretty good production...... especially, for a sophomore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Alright, I'll bite. I'm a fan of each one of those players.

Where do we go from there for the rest of the draft? Give me some defensive names.
    Cornelius Washington, D.J. Swearinger, T.J. McDonald, Meshak Williams, etc.

I don't care

Veteran
    #9 Warmack

#13 Eifert

#39 Hopkins

Fix the goddamn offense already. Go defense in the rest of the draft for all I care.
    If that happened I would be one happy camper. Been working on a Jets only mock and my first three are looking like that also.
    Last edited by RobR; 04-12-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Ok, so the Ayers thing was just thrown in there. He was a different sized player and different kind of prospect.

I watched him play against A&M and Alabama -- probably his biggest two matchups -- and do pretty well against Jake Matthews (1st rounder in '14) and DJ Fluker (1st rounder this year).

I guess we'll agree to disagree when it comes to Mingo, but I'd like you to keep a few things in mind about the guy:

- About 80% of the time, Mingo, not the bigger Montgomery, was playing strong side end. He was constantly going up against players about 65-90 lbs. bigger than him. And I thought he held his own. The guy really understands leverage and uses his hands and length extremely well.

- Against A&M, they had him playing contain virtually the whole game (except for when they'd occasionally blitz a LB/DB). Not only that, but they used him as an end in three man fronts, which they used about 1/3 of the time. The result? 17 rushes for 27 yards for Johnny Football, BY FAR his rushing performance of the season. The 1.6 yds/rush that game was over 5 yards below his season average. There were only two games last year where he ran for <5ypc. LSU was one of them.

- Speaking of A&M, he still made a great impact. I had him down for: a batted pass; read/disrupted screen pass for forced throwaway; 1 TFL on an option play where he destroys the pulling TE and then flings Manziel to the ground; and three pressures -- one of which where he got a hand on Manziel, hurried him out of the pocket, and forced an ill-advised INT. On that particular play, the slot guy blitzed, allowing Mingo to go one-on-one with the RG... he completely owns him with a spin move and gets to Manziel immediately.

- Against Bama, he was up against Fluker (often with Williams attached as a blocking TE -- one of the best in the country). On one play, I saw him beat the double team, get by Fluker, and draw a holding penalty. He also had a batted down pass. When he was matched up one-on-one in pass rushing situations, I thought he was able to get under Fluker and knock him back more than not. To me, that's impressive considering the fact that Fluker is 330 lbs. and Mingo is ~240lbs.

- The biggest difference between Mingo/Maybin IMHO is that Mingo plays a lot stronger than Maybin. Sure, both guys aren't pleasant against the run, but you have to look at it like this: When Mingo can have space, he can use his hands and use them very well. In our defense, he'll have space at 3-4 OLB. I think he'll be a better run stopper out of a two point stance versus a three. JMO. Additionally, Maybin is a little stiffer than Mingo and I thought Mingo displayed more versatility in terms of pass rush moves -- bull, dip, spin.

Speaking about "college production" -- whether that has any correlation or not to the pros -- it should be noted that Mingo was second in the SEC in terms of pressures. His pure sack totals were down in his last season (ring a bell to Coples??) but he was still making an impact.

Cornelius Washington, D.J. Swearinger, T.J. McDonald, Meshak Williams, etc.

I don't care
    Speak of the devil...

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 14m
    I'm told if the New York Jets still need a pass rusher on the second day of the draft they are very high on Cornelius Washington/OLB/Georgia

If I knew for sure we could get a quality pass rusher anywhere from rounds 2-4, I'd shut the hell up about Jordan/Mingo in the 1st. Washington would satisfy my desires.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Speak of the devil...

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 14m
    I'm told if the New York Jets still need a pass rusher on the second day of the draft they are very high on Cornelius Washington/OLB/Georgia

If I knew for sure we could get a quality pass rusher anywhere from rounds 2-4, I'd shut the hell up about Jordan/Mingo in the 1st. Washington would satisfy my desires.
    I'd love Washington in the 3rd round area

Had limited opportunities at Georgia, but whenever he was on the field he seemed to be wreaking havoc.

Could develop into a damn good player a year or two down the road.

Glad to hear we're high on him.

Glad to hear we're high on him.
    Not that it means everything, but for the most part I've been pretty happy with who it seems like we've been interested in and who we haven't been.

All Pro
    9 - Dion Jordan or Ziggy Ansah

13 - Dion Jordan Or Ziggy Ansah or Jonathon Cooper

9- D.Jordan

13- K.Vaccaro

39 - Z.Ertz

Geno Smith at #9
    Jarvis Jones at #13

All Pro
    Jarvis Jones
    Tyler Eifert
    Barrett Jones

I really think this trio can be special and the values are right on IMO.

Last edited by K-Ro 25; 04-13-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Ro 25 View Post

Don't want anything to do with Mingo but I could get on board with Austin or Vaccaro at #13.