Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PASSING OF A COMEDY LEGEND: JONATHAN WINTERS

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    that was great
    DS, Winters was incredibly gifted at improvisation.

One of my favorite programs of all time was The Jonathan Winters Show. In addition to sketches, the last part of the show had Winters in a
    room filled with props, from which he would create complete lunacy. All my friends and and did the next day was talk about what he had created.

Jets Insider VIP
    funny funny man

RIP

(and yes, I remember both the Dumont network and Philco Black and Whites with lotsa tubes)

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post

One of my favorite programs of all time was The Jonathan Winters Show. In addition to sketches, the last part of the show had Winters in a
    room filled with props, from which he would create complete lunacy. All my friends and and did the next day was talk about what he had created.
    Laugh In
    The Copycats
    Dean Martin Roasts
    The Jonathan WInters Show
    Flip!

You did not want to get between me and these shows.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Laugh In
    The Copycats
    Dean Martin Roasts
    The Jonathan WInters Show
    Flip!

You did not want to get between me and these shows.
    Awesome stuff.

a little (or a lot) before my time, so i didn't know much about Winters or his material.

definitely will look into it more, that clip was hilarious. he seemed so natural and comfortable while acting like a loon, but also avoided looking cartoonish. he never cracked even when Dean Martin was laughing his face off.

RIP Jonathan Winters

America lost one of it's funniest citizens at age 87 today. He was the king of both character and improvisational comedy. You younger guys should google him if unfamiliar. RIP "Maude".

http://todayentertainment.today.com/...ies-at-87?lite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08L6POKJsE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWDa1xPTPA

Mods: Please merge with the "Cat Daddy Champion" thread.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Is this a different Jonathan Winters than the one who died in the other thread with the 20 replies? What's his deal?

are you ****ing stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    are you ****ing stupid?
    Oops. So I missed the other thread. Why aren't you hanging out in the Bag 'O Dicks thread anyway?

Edit: Thx Mods for the heavy labor of a merge.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Oops. So I missed the other thread. Why aren't you hanging out in the Bag 'O Dicks thread anyway?
    lol

Jets Insider VIP
    He was freakin' hilarious but there was something a little off about him - he could never get through a serious interview....

Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    He was freakin' hilarious but there was something a little off about him - he could never get through a serious interview....
    Well, it is true he wasn't up to this guy's standard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4DSynwjqwM

Tried to watch some of these clips out of respect for the dead that was sorely lacking in the Gary Moore thread. I will have to take BG's word that this cat was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hit Stick View Post
    Tried to watch some of these clips out of respect for the dead that was sorely lacking in the Gary Moore thread. I will have to take BG's word that this cat was funny.
    THS, as with music, humor is subjective. I'm sure there are folks out there who despise Richard Pryor or George Carlin, but find Adam Sandler hysterically funny.

You had the correct response by showing Winters the respect he deserves. All I'll say in his defense is that in the 1960s, Winters was the first comedian who I saw display incredibly natural improv chops and go to very bizarre places with his comedy. He delved into topics and approaches later embraced by Firesign Theater, National Lampoon, SNL, Second City, and many other "fringe" groups.

Plus, it's all about historical context. Comics like Winters were bound by the stringent broadcast TV rules of the day. The only truly off color comics (guys who worked "blue") were in night clubs or in Vegas. If they did get booked on TV, they tailored their act to reflect the mores and standards of the day for broadcast TV.

Think about this: The content on a typical episdode of FOX' New Girl , shown on TV back when Winters plied his craft, would have gotten the show cancelled on the spot, as well as the cost the network their license.

THS, as with music, humor is subjective. I'm sure there are folks out there who despise Richard Pryor or George Carlin, but find Adam Sandler hysterically funny.

You had the correct response by showing Winters the respect he deserves. All I'll say in his defense is that in the 1960s, Winters was the first comedian who I saw display incredibly natural improv chops and go to very bizarre places with his comedy. He delved into topics and approaches later embraced by Firesign Theater, National Lampoon, SNL, Second City, and many other "fringe" groups.

Plus, it's all about historical context. Comics like Winters were bound by the stringent broadcast TV rules of the day. The only truly off color comics (guys who worked "blue") were in night clubs or in Vegas. If they did get booked on TV, they tailored their act to reflect the mores and standards of the day for broadcast TV.

Think about this: The content on a typical episdode of FOX' New Girl , shown on TV back when Winters plied his craft, would have gotten the show cancelled on the spot, as well as the cost the network their license.
    Thanks for the context, BG.

Little known fact, but Jonathan Winters was fluent in Italian.

Guess you had to be there....

Jets Insider VIP

all true: all it takes today is throw a few curses at the audience, and talk about pu$$y, and you have them laughing.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Little known fact, but Jonathan Winters was fluent in Italian.
    He was also good friends with Alice Cooper. The two met in an inpatient rehab joint in the late seventies.