Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PASSING OF A COMEDY LEGEND: JONATHAN WINTERS

PASSING OF A COMEDY LEGEND: JONATHAN WINTERS

Just saw on another site that the brilliant comedic mind, Jonathan Winters, has died. I am in a state of stunned shock.

Winters was one of my comedy idols. He was an absolute genius and decades ahead of anyone, especially in terms of improvisation and outright lunatic fringe humor.

RIP to a true comedy giant.

The world of comedy has lost a legend.

Jonathan Winters, who was known for his improv work that inspired many a contemporary stand-up comic including Robin Williams, Jim Carrey and others, has died. He was 87.

Longtime family friend Joe Petro III says Winters died Thursday evening at his Montecito, Calif., home of natural causes, reports AP.

A note on his website adds, "Rest in Peace, Mr. Winters."

Winters' career began when he won a talent contest in Dayton, Ohio, which led to radio gigs and appearances at comedy clubs, along with comedy albums.

He was a favorite guest on the late night TV circuit for decades, often appearing with Jack Paar, Johnny Carson and Steve Allen. And he often performed in character. One one of his best known was Maude Frickert, an old lady with a quick and acid wit. He had his own TV show in the 1950s.

Winters also appeared in nearly 50 movies, including a particularly notable role in the 1963 film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Eileen Schauder Winters, his wife of more than 60 years, died on Jan. 11, 2009. Jonathan is survived by two children and five grandchildren.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/p...ge-87/2077723/

Jets Insider VIP
    A true genius in his field.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    A true genius in his field.
    There is no Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, or countless others without Jonathan Winters' influence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    There is no Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, or countless others without Jonathan Winters' influence.
    I remember as a kid, about 8 pr so watching its a Mad mad mad mad world.

My into to Winters.

I'd throw Dom Delouise in your mix too.

Bewildered Beast
    My father worked for something known as the Dumont Network; he would be involved at times with getting talent to appear (babysitting he called it); several times he spent cocktail hours with Winters; keeping an eye and making him comfortable; yada yada. Said that Winters was nuts and loved acting nuts to keep people off-balance. Winters made a faux pas regarding the head of the Dumont Network; intimating something that was blatantly false. When Winters was called on it, he dead-panned "You mean...DAD LIED TO ME?!?!" and thus escaped.

The bst babysitting story was the Red Skelton one; my pops was in Palm Springs doing his thing and Red was going on and on about himself etc.

So he stops and says "well, enough about me - what do YOU think of me?"

common

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    My father worked for something known as the Dumont Network; he would be involved at times with getting talent to appear (babysitting he called it); several times he spent cocktail hours with Winters; keeping an eye and making him comfortable; yada yada. Said that Winters was nuts and loved acting nuts to keep people off-balance. Winters made a faux pas regarding the head of the Dumont Network; intimating something that was blatantly false. When Winters was called on it, he dead-panned "You mean...DAD LIED TO ME?!?!" and thus escaped.

The bst babysitting story was the Red Skelton one; my pops was in Palm Springs doing his thing and Red was going on and on about himself etc.

common

So "My Favorite Year" was about your dad?

SAR I

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

So "My Favorite Year" was about your dad?

SAR I
    I have that thought every time I see the movie.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I remember as a kid, about 8 pr so watching its a Mad mad mad mad world.

My into to Winters.

I'd throw Dom Delouise in your mix too.
    Farewell to a genius, the scene where he destroys the garage in Its a Mad mad mad mad world is a classic...

Perhaps my fav of that era. Incredibly funny and brilliant off the cuff stuff.

common
    Wow, what stories he must have from the pioneering days of TV. He's so associated with CBS, that most folks don't know that the great Jackie Gleason's first TV program was on the fledgling DuMont Network.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Jonathan Winters>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gary Moore

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Loved Winters, he was fing nuts. R.I.P.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

common
    LMAO!

The Dumont network sounds like a Costanza invention.

Good stuff.

-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bewildered Beast
    Wow, what stories he must have from the pioneering days of TV. He's so associated with CBS, that most folks don't know that the great Jackie Gleason's first TV program was on the fledgling DuMont Network.
    I remember now it was ad sales; keeping the Star ready for "Live TV" (oh yes). I never considered my pops to be the guy working in the "edgy new technology company"; I guess I can be proud now.

He played on Mork and Mindy as their child and did a great job.

All Pro

common
    DuMont (no, not Margaret Dumont) made great TVs for awhile and tried to establish itself as a network - unfortunately Paramount Pictures had a prior ownership interest and DuMont was thwarted by the gov't - Ch. 5 was their NY O&O became part of "Metromedia" then much later Fox - the classic 39 Honeymoooners was filmed with DuMont technology immortalized in the closing credits

For the longest time there was a TV/appliance store near the city line in Nassau that still had a DuMont sign long after the company exited the scene into the 80s..Valley Stream IIRC but now I think it mightve been Jamaica Ave in Bellerose

J Winters - a true giant of postmodern comedy - his crazy TV show with the "it's all..ad lib" song...always annoyed Johnny Carson ripped off Maude Frickert for Aunt Blabby...loved the lookalike someone sent into the NY Post of Jonathan and Hideki Irabu

For you:

http://dumonthistory.tv/index.html
    Locations http://dumonthistory.tv/a8.html

More tales from the dawn of TV please!
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 04-12-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I remember now it was ad sales; keeping the Star ready for "Live TV" (oh yes). I never considered my pops to be the guy working in the "edgy new technology company"; I guess I can be proud now.
    Seems most of the guys posting here are around 50 plus. except me of course.

Your story of your Dad is so awesome. I think of my Dad at times, that era when I watch Mad Men. the long coat, the hat etc.

RIP Mr Winters.

No better comedian whilst improvising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hcgXXJk_nw

that was great