Thread: Let's Talk CBs

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's Talk CBs

While we've treated it as pretty much a given that Revis is gone, I don't think we've dedicated one thread to cornerbacks because, well, we haven't had to worry about drafting corners for a few years now.

Question: What's the earliest you'd be OK with drafting a corner this year assuming Revis is traded?

This seems to be a semi deep class of corners. That being said, I would prefer us not to use a day one or day two pick on a corner (meaning 4th round or later for me). I wouldn't get upset if we used a third rounder, but I don't think I'd be pleased using a 2nd or higher unless for some reason we traded down in the first round once or twice.

So who are some interesting day three (or some day two) CB prospects this year we should look at? I'm looking at guys with press corner experience with hip fluidity. Face it, corner might not be a need in 2013 (even without Revis), but it could easily be a high area need in 2014. Getting a guy this year with a year under his belt by the time '14 roles around could be something we'll thank ourselves later for.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think we will trade Revis but that all depends on what we get. I highly doubt TB gives up that 13th pick. If they did I am all for Xavier Rhodes who will be a stud IMO. We have a good cast IMO but you cant pass on a stud like that if he is there. If he isnt there I'd be ok with passing on CB all together. Mid rounds we should be filling bigger needs IMO. Your not finding better then Wilson, Lankaster, Isaiah Trufant, Donnie Fletcher, or Berry with a later rounds. We have a good young cast on the back end all ready. You also still have Cro if only for one or 2 more years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on the 4th round or later range. Someone like Brandon McGee, who the Jets are reportedly high on.

Wilson will never be a stud, but he's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He's a solid #2.

Also, Aaron Berry will finally be healthy. We didn't really get to see the kid last year except on special teams, but if he keeps his nose clean, he can be a pretty good nickel.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I dont think we will trade Revis but that all depends on what we get. I highly doubt TB gives up that 13th pick. If they did I am all for Xavier Rhodes who will be a stud IMO. We have a good cast IMO but you cant pass on a stud like that if he is there. If he isnt there I'd be ok with passing on CB all together. Mid rounds we should be filling bigger needs IMO. Your not finding better then Wilson, Lankaster, Isaiah Trufant, Donnie Fletcher, or Berry with a later rounds. We have a good young cast on the back end all ready. You also still have Cro if only for one or 2 more years.
    I think it's a foregone conclusion that Revis gets traded to Tampa. We'll probably hear something within the next 10 days or so.

And it's been reported by every source out there that Tampa is willing to part with the 13th pick. But Idzik wants them to sweeten the pot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I think it's a foregone conclusion that Revis gets traded to Tampa. We'll probably hear something within the next 10 days or so.

And it's been reported by every source out there that Tampa is willing to part with the 13th pick. But Idzik wants them to sweeten the pot.
    One day you read these teams are ready to make the deal the next year read they havent even contacted each other in weeks. It is a myth IMO. No way TB is offering what some media sources are saying they are offering. Much less are actually asking about Sanchez. This whole Revis trade thing has been the worst reporting I have read in decades. No one in the media has any clue they are just reporting what some guy who knows a guy that sell peanuts are saying at this point.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    One day you read these teams are ready to make the deal the next year read they havent even contacted each other in weeks. It is a myth IMO. No way TB is offering what some media sources are saying they are offering. Much less are actually asking about Sanchez. This whole Revis trade thing has been the worst reporting I have read in decades. No one in the media has any clue they are just reporting what some guy who knows a guy that sell peanuts are saying at this point.
    I don't buy the bullsh*t about them wanting to take on Sanchez for a second. That's just that douchebag Florio throwing a bunch of sh*t against the wall.

But I absolutely believe that the 13th pick is on the table. Tampa has a tremendous need at CB and their ownership is desperate to make a splash.

There's basically no chance that Milliner falls to them and what the hell are the odds of someone like Rhodes or Trufant becoming even half the player Revis is?

Somewhere between slim and none.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't buy the bullsh*t about them wanting to take on Sanchez for a second. That's just that douchebag Florio throwing a bunch of sh*t against the wall.

But I absolutely believe that the 13th pick is on the table. Tampa has a tremendous need at CB and their ownership is desperate to make a splash.

There's basically no chance that Milliner falls to them and what the hell are the odds of someone like Rhodes or Trufant becoming even half the player Revis is?

Somewhere between slim and none.
    Rhodes IMO is a better prospect then Milliner. Not as refined but has much more of an upside. If he is there TB would be smart to take him IMO. He will be anther Kareem Jackson IMO so not a bad trade off. No rookie is giving you star play year one. I get TB wants to make that splash but there taking crazy with these picks and giving Revis the 15 mil a year he wants. I just dont buy it they arent that close where it makes sense. If this is Indy yeah OK maybe. I can without a doubt see them trying to make a move on draft day and they wouldnt be giving up a high 1st round pick. Even this though your taking way too much needs to happen. It is very unlikely.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming Revis is gone I'd take Jamar Taylor at 39 if he fell that far.Think he's going to be outstanding.

Otherwise McGee later on is a good shout.

I think in Isaiah Trufant and Berry we have two more than capable nickel backs and if we draft another safety or two it'd be interesting to see if Josh Bush can move to CB.Pretty sure he played a bit of corner at Wake Forest

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on the 4th round or later range. Someone like Brandon McGee, who the Jets are reportedly high on.

Wilson will never be a stud, but he's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. He's a solid #2.

Also, Aaron Berry will finally be healthy. We didn't really get to see the kid last year except on special teams, but if he keeps his nose clean, he can be a pretty good nickel.
    Berry is a damn good player & healthy will push Wilson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't pick a CB in the first 2 rounds anymore unless they are BPA by a mile. The rules have devalued the position. Revis is the only CB that is able to dominate given the current rules in the NFL. After him, none of them are worth the money or picking high in the draft.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite corner back is Terry Hawthorne .. speed, a ball hawk and big enough at 6ft. I thought he was a fourth rounder, maybe three ... but apparently his stock has risen after 4.44 in the combine forty yard dash.

Tavon Wilson a surprise second round pick in 2012, did well in his first season with the Pats so I am concerned that the Pats might pick another Illinois defensive back, Hawthorne, at the bottom of the second ..

According to scouting reports McGee is inconsistent but he would be my pick in the later rounds ...