Thread: Coming Soon: "New York State University" D1 Sports, But It's In Buffalo!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Coming Soon: "New York State University" D1 Sports, But It's In Buffalo!

Move over Penn State University, Ohio State University, Michigan State University, etc.

"New York State University" is a good idea but all the way out in Buffalo?

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/....html?ref=bmh”

UB or not UB? That is the Question
    April 4, 2013

By Bob DiCesare

Some 10 years ago Rochester businessman Tom Golisano offered the University at Buffalo football program unspecified millions if the school agreed to changed its name to New York State University. The offer, quite obviously, wasn't accepted. But a similar rebranding has momentum within the UB athletic department and could come to the fore during the upcoming football season.

Sources say that athletic director Danny White is agressively pursuing a rebranding of the department with the emphasis changing from Buffalo to New York. I'm told the iniative, as least as of now, stops short of a full-fledged name change but will accentuate the New York ties to leverage UB's status as the state system's flagship university. The project has been referred to from within the department as the "New York Bulls" initiative.

The final product, if implemented, could make waves within the region. It's difficult to emphasize "New York" without de-emphasizing "Buffalo." At the same time, if such a shift were to take hold it could broaden awareness of the institution. One coach told me of using a recruiting pitch that goes: UB is to New York as, say, Ohio State is to Ohio. Over the long haul, a rebranding could potentially provide UB (or whatever it's called) a broadened yet clarified identity.

Does Golisano have anything to do with this initiative? I'm not certain. But I do know that White, since his arrival, has met with Larry Quinn, Golisano's right-hand man during his Buffalo Sabres ownership years. And suddenly it seems there's more money floating around the athletic department given the buyout owed departed basketball coach Reggie Witherspoon and the creation of a new position in athletic administration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The New York State University

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Is Buffalo even a SUNY school?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Is Buffalo even a SUNY school?

Yes. Along with numerous other places. Which leads me to believe the system will not allow it to be called New York State U.

State U of NY at Buff is what it can be.

And anyway, who really cares what it's called. Won't attract anyone. NYS does not have good football.