Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Team Observations

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

2013 Team Observations

Team Most Likely to Fall From Grace - Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens are going to be paying a price for signing Flacko to such a huge contract and this is going to demonstrate that when one player is paid so much money the team cannot retain a lot of talented people around him to win consistently. Look for the Ravens to have a .500 season or worse.

Favorite to Take it All in 2013: SF 49'ers - If they can stay healthy and if their QB can improve the 49'ers are going to be tough to handle. They have something to prove and pretty much were able to retain the key position talent they needed to make another run.

Team that shed too much older talent: Steelers- OK you could make an argument that it was the Jets but I am talking talent not has beens who just took huge checks and failed to produce. I'm not sure the Steelers are going to be a good team this year at all.

Team that looked promising last year and might crash this year-Miami Dolphins
    -Sorry but Tannehill is good but not good enough to carry the team. I think they took a step back this year with the loss of Bush and others.

Most Arrogant Team -Hands down the Patsies - Not only did they let their best receiver walk, Welker, they parted ways with a lot of other names that made their team competitive. Can Brady make up for these shortfalls ? Maybe but he is getting older and the fact that he took a smaller salary to keep Welker and the team still let him go should tell him something about the lack of heart on this team.

Team with the most Lame Dogs - NY Jets - If Sanchez and Ryan don't deliver this year and show leadership and improvement both will be gone next year. Key indication will be the draft, if the Jets let Revis walk and get a first round pick they could select a QB which would be a clear indication that Sanchez & Ryan are half way out the door.

Player who doesn't quite get it - NY Jets Revis - First he holds out to get more money, which the Jets give him, then he complains about showing up for a mandatory practice (you just got a $1 million check for still being with the team) and he has the balls to complain ? Revis once said he just wanted enough money to ensure that he could live after football. Well guess what you already have that so how much is enough ?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Bravo! On Revis

I wish someone at the NFL Network had the same set of cojones to say that or ask instead of placating to another self absorbed greedy athlete just like his Uncle Sean Gilbert. You'd swear the Jets were underpaying him for his time here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfCityJet View Post
    I wish someone at the NFL Network had the same set of cojones to say that or ask instead of placating to another self absorbed greedy athlete just like his Uncle Sean Gilbert. You'd swear the Jets were underpaying him for his time here.
    Hey Revis only has 2500 pair of sneakers in his collection he needs the bucks to add more.. The last one to have that many pairs of footwear was Imelda Marcos wife of the former corrupt Philippine president..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Overall interesting read ...

Disagree with some of his logic though

Steelers will be .500ish team in 2013 but I think they made right choice with older guys

Not sure how promising I saw the fins being last year ... I think their moves will give them better chance to contend for WC spot this year ... But they will have cap issues in the future due to overpaying now

Sanchez and ryan are in 1 or done situations regardless of if/when we draft QB

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Ravens are an obvious choice to fall from grace, but I would take that after winning the superbowl

49ers another obvious choice, depending on Kaepernick. Personally I thought he was waaaay overrated last year, but he does have alot of potential. Seahawks are another team. Should be some good games between them.

I like that the writer didn't choose the Jets for shedding older talent, the key word being talent. They let go of alot of dead weight IMO.

I don't quite agree with his reason for the dolphins crashing and burning. I think the reason behind our spending spree was so Tannehill doesn't have to carry all of the weight. But either way, it will come down to him, and if he doesn't improve then all that money will go to waste. I also think Bush was overrated and Miller should easily be able to produce what he did last year, but he's still unproven.

Patriots as the most arrogent team...DUH!

NY Jets as with most lame dogs.....DUH again

Player that doesn't quite get it...Revis works here, but I think you could also use Brady. What Brady did was good for the team, but he either doesn't care, or doesn't understand the business. No team will do for him what he did for them, and after saving the team money, they don't even keep one of his favorite targets. If he didn't get it then, he should now. Business, business, business

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5002 View Post
    I think the Ravens are an obvious choice to fall from grace, but I would take that after winning the superbowl

49ers another obvious choice, depending on Kaepernick. Personally I thought he was waaaay overrated last year, but he does have alot of potential. Seahawks are another team. Should be some good games between them.

I like that the writer didn't choose the Jets for shedding older talent, the key word being talent. They let go of alot of dead weight IMO.

I don't quite agree with his reason for the dolphins crashing and burning. I think the reason behind our spending spree was so Tannehill doesn't have to carry all of the weight. But either way, it will come down to him, and if he doesn't improve then all that money will go to waste. I also think Bush was overrated and Miller should easily be able to produce what he did last year, but he's still unproven.

NY Jets as with most lame dogs.....DUH again

Player that doesn't quite get it...Revis works here, but I think you could also use Brady. What Brady did was good for the team, but he either doesn't care, or doesn't understand the business. No team will do for him what he did for them, and after saving the team money, they don't even keep one of his favorite targets. If he didn't get it then, he should now. Business, business, business
    Difference is, they made Brady's extension out to be him saving the team money (although it's not), and Revis is playing the dumb, woe is me, "I don't know why they're treating me this way" approach to this.

They can share the award, but Revis wins, IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Difference is, they made Brady's extension out to be him saving the team money (although it's not), and Revis is playing the dumb, woe is me, "I don't know why they're treating me this way" approach to this.

They can share the award, but Revis wins, IMO.
    The Island has a low IQ??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    The Island has a low IQ??
    He's trying too hard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but I don't see what Sanchez has to do with Ryan, unless he plays him all year while he continues to melt down. Tanny already took the fall for Sanchez, and his guaranteed contract. If the defense does poorly, or the team quits on him, then I can see Ryan being let go, but Sanchez sitting on the bench should have nothing to do with Ryan's job status.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I said the same thing about Balt 3 months ago but right now that looks false. They added Dumbervil, McClain, and Huff which may be upgrade in those spots given the aging of Reed and Lewis. Lewis was horrid those last few games, McClain attitude aside is a better talent right now. I dont think leadership is an issue in Balt so it is a very low risk addition. Huff is not a bad S. Reed was far from a top S last year so Huff if he is a downgrade isnt much of one. Dumbervil well I'm not saying he is better then Kruger but an argument could be made. They have 12 picks in the draft and really just need to replace an average MLB, a aging WR, and an average S which can be done in the 1st 3 rounds easy this year IMO. If they end up with something like Kevin Minter, JJ Wilcox, and Da'Rick Rogers the rest is all gravy for them.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I said the same thing about Balt 3 months ago but right now that looks false. They added Dumbervil, McClain, and Huff which may be upgrade in those spots given the aging of Reed and Lewis. Lewis was horrid those last few games, McClain attitude aside is a better talent right now. I dont think leadership is an issue in Balt so it is a very low risk addition. Huff is not a bad S. Reed was far from a top S last year so Huff if he is a downgrade isnt much of one. Dumbervil well I'm not saying he is better then Kruger but an argument could be made. They have 12 picks in the draft and really just need to replace an average MLB, a aging WR, and an average S which can be done in the 1st 3 rounds easy this year IMO. If they end up with something like Kevin Minter, JJ Wilcox, and Da'Rick Rogers the rest is all gravy for them.
    To be honest, I didn't really think Baltimore was all that great last year. They just got hot (specifically Flacco) at the right time, which seems to be the case with the last few winners. But Baltimore is a team I could've seen go anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. I think Flacco will keep improving, but I dont think he will ever turn into a top 3 qb, a guy that can win games on his own. Also, superbowl winning teams often have a let down the next year for whatever reasons. So basically I do agree with what you're saying. They did a decent job replacing some players, they just didn't do it in the first few days of free agency so they didn't get the headlines like other teams that came out of the gate spending money. But I just dont think they are that good of a team to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess they sorta proved me wrong last year so we'll see

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest, I didn't really think Baltimore was all that great last year. They just got hot (specifically Flacco) at the right time, which seems to be the case with the last few winners. But Baltimore is a team I could've seen go anywhere from 6-10 to 11-5. I think Flacco will keep improving, but I dont think he will ever turn into a top 3 qb, a guy that can win games on his own. Also, superbowl winning teams often have a let down the next year for whatever reasons. So basically I do agree with what you're saying. They did a decent job replacing some players, they just didn't do it in the first few days of free agency so they didn't get the headlines like other teams that came out of the gate spending money. But I just dont think they are that good of a team to begin with. Maybe I'm wrong, I guess they sorta proved me wrong last year so we'll see
    All the teams get up to play the Bowl Champs it's the Bowl Champs that have a problem getting up for all 16 games on the schedule..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Patriots can fail to win the Super Bowl as well without Welker as with him. I guess that makes the Patriots arrogant and Brady ignorant in some parts of the world.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the teams get up to play the Bowl Champs it's the Bowl Champs that have a problem getting up for all 16 games on the schedule..
    Agreed. I also think some complacency sets in. Getting a bunch of different, hungry players should help that a little.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Patriots can fail to win the Super Bowl as well without Welker as with him. I guess that makes the Patriots arrogant and Brady ignorant in some parts of the world.
    I still think your going to miss his 100+ catches a year..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think your going to miss his 100+ catches a year..
    You're probably right -- that kind of production does not grow on trees. That said, I think they can easily get the same production from Amendola and Edelman together if both play a full season. But given their injury histories, that is a long shot to say the least.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Odds are it was a mistake to let welker go ... The numbers at his spot will go down this year ... And more importantly odds are the clutch #'s will as well.

Is it possible Amendola will stay healthy and match Welker's #'s? Sure

It's also possible when I walk into the bedroom tonight that my wife and her hot tennis partner are naked in the bed, joined in a scissors lock, and beg me to join them saying our buns have been waiting for your hotdog

Ljr

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They got 'hot' because of canning Cameron but more importantly changes to the Oline that suddenly allowed Flacco time to throw. Some guys aren't coming back and unless they replace them, he'll be back to his usual level of play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be surprised if the Steelers slip to .500 or below. That team always seems to do everything right. They draft well and always seem to know when to get rid of veterans that are ready to have their play slip.

For how good Alan Faneca was for a lot of years, when he got to the Jets he wasn't as good. He was still a devastating run blocker, but left a little to be desired in pass protection. He wasn't the great all around player he'd been in the past.

They still draft very well and I'd be surprised if they didn't at least yield two top notch starters in this years draft.

Now, it is possible that the team could have let too much talent leave. But I still think there is a lot more talent that hasn't even been realized yet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Odds are it was a mistake to let welker go ... The numbers at his spot will go down this year ... And more importantly odds are the clutch #'s will as well.

Is it possible Amendola will stay healthy and match Welker's #'s? Sure

It's also possible when I walk into the bedroom tonight that my wife and her hot tennis partner are naked in the bed, joined in a scissors lock, and beg me to join them saying our buns have been waiting for your hotdog ;
    )

Ljr
    Pics or GTFO.