Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denver on Wed, any suggestions?

Veteran

Denver on Wed -- Photos

Work conference this week, never been to Denver

What's with the altitude? Mile high, hard to breathe?

Flying into a snowstorm -- who schedules conferences in Denver in April???

94 in Austin Tues, high of 35 in Denver Wed, not really up to sightseeing in the cold. But is there anything to do if I have a few hours free from this conference?

-----------
    Photos added to last post
    Last edited by Lone Star Lady; 04-23-2013 at 05:01 PM.

it won't be hard to breathe unless you decide to go hiking or do some strenuous activity...then you'll feel the altitude.
    Also, if you decide to go out drinking, you will be able to drink FAR less before you start getting drunk.
    Other than that, it will have pretty much been snowing here for 3 days by the time you get here, so you may not have many options anyway.
    Where are you staying (what part of town)...and if it's downtown, where downtown?

Jets Insider VIP
    12"-18" of snow through Wednesday morning for the Denver area.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-...-yogi-20130415

Veteran
    Staying downtown by the convention center.

12-18 inches??? Crap. Supposed to land at 8 AM Wed morning. Probably will be delayed.

Saw that the Mets are in town but doubtful they'll play if 12-18 in. of snow.

looks like the games will be postponed (unfortunately as I am a Mets fan). If you're staying at the Convention center, it is the week of 4-20 and the first ever American Cannabis Cup, so there will be a variety of pot-related activities, and lots of music going on around there (the Cup is actually being held at the Convention Center on Saturday), so there def will be lots of fun things to do (I'm sure all of the bars will have related specials going on as well) if you're here through the weekend.

All League
    Spring in the Rockies!! 12-14 followed by 65 degrees!! Pack puffy coat and shorts!! You just dont know!! If weather limits you, 16th st mall, which is a outdoor mall, has great bars/restaurants all within walking or free bus away from Convention Center.

If fan of other NY teams, Mets are in town, but most likely will be rain/snowed out. Pepsi Center, for Avs and Nuggs.

Ski season just ended, even though we had 14 overnight and cant use it!! The Basin is still going however!!!

One of my favorite eats is a low key place called Steubens. Go to the Breck Brewery in LoDo and tell George the Pats suck!! he may give you a free beer for being a Jets Fan!!! Have fun!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post

94 in Austin Tues, high of 35 in Denver Wed, not really up to sightseeing in the cold. But is there anything to do if I have a few hours free from this conference?
    An Omelette?

Enjoy, Never been there..heard its awesome.

Good call on Steubens!! Get the Mac N' Cheese or Fried Chicken.
    Deli Zone for breakfast (great breakfast Sandwiches), though I'll be honest. Not sure if there is one near the convention center or not.
    Other night light spots...Market Street is a row of bars/clubs/restaurants (Chipultapec is on the corner if you're a fan of jazz).
    Larimer Square as well has a few good spots (Josephine's, Samba Room, Comedy Works is there also).

Jets Insider VIP
    If you're in the bar, don't believe for a second those things in the jar are really oysters.

Jets Insider VIP
    I understand foreheads are big in Denver now.

you're welcome.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

LSL, In my opinion, the things to see are in the mountians. Absolutly breathtaking. The forcast is not in your favor. Downtown is full of bars and restaurants, like most metros - nothing outstanding. If I only had a few hours I'd send ya to "My Brothers Bar", it has a quirky vibe (Keroack. sp? hung out there during his thing).Cheeseburgers are worth a taste. Short taxi away. I think there is access to the Platt River for a stroll, not far away. Gives views of the skyline. Visit again to get up the hill and see the great state of Colorado.

Keep in on the downlow you are from Texas
    Last edited by BURGERMIKE; 04-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Depends on what you're in to. Denver, even in snow, offers everything you could want. If you are living in Austin you already have a great bar scene available. You sound like you're a transplanted New Yorker. If you miss New York culture you might have interest in taking in a show (Denver has more theater seats than all but NY and Chicago). The Denver Center of Performing Arts is next door to the convention center. See the show at the Garner Galleria Theater. Very small intimate theater with excellent comedic performances. Inexpensive tickets. Have drinks in the bar at the Teatro Hotel for a classy and close pre-theater experience. Cap the night with desert after the show at McCormick & Scmicks. All very close to your hotel/convention center. Would be a classy and memorable introduction to Denver

Grab a meal at the Buckhorn Exchange. The light rail stops in front of the place just a stop or two from the Convention Center. Which is good because it is in the hood. The Buckhorn Building is original, over 100 years old, great food, meats you won't find anywhere else. Go there.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post

WAtch out for the trolleys; i was distracted one late November; trying to figure out how to stay on schedule with a snowblizzard in the passes up in the Rockies. I was bouncing off the walls of the tourist board....the road closure Customer Service people. I went outside; I was standing on the tracks and almost got picked off.

Otherwise, I can't see how Denver could compare to Austin; that's a fun town. Never have been, but my sons group played an outer stage at SXSW two years ago.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    WAtch out for the trolleys; i was distracted one late November; trying to figure out how to stay on schedule with a snowblizzard in the passes up in the Rockies. I was bouncing off the walls of the tourist board....the road closure Customer Service people. I went outside; I was standing on the tracks and almost got picked off.

Otherwise, I can't see how Denver could compare to Austin; that's a fun town. Never have been, but my sons group played an outer stage at SXSW two years ago.
    Hmmm . . . maybe standing on the tracks wasn't the best idea?

That's great that your son was at SXSW. I do love Austin; it just has so much going for it. But I haven't been to Denver before so I'm looking forward to see somewhere new (though not the snow, got enough of that before I moved to TX).

Veteran
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

I've been too busy with work and getting ready for this trip to look them all up online. I'll do that when I get to Denver tomorrow morning (assuming no snow delays). I am traveling with a co-worker, so may not be able to do too much, but would like to get a feel for the area.

BTW, I'm a transplanted New Englander (CT & MA), though my husband is from upstate NY. We've been Texans for just over 7 years. I'll try not to mention that when I'm in CO.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is the first real suggestions thread in a long line of suggestion thread parodies - well done Hampur.

The only other people besides your company that schedules things in Denver is apparently MLB, lol. Sorry about the crappy weather for you LSL, but hey teh Mets are in town. Plus maybe with the delay you can pick up some good herb on 4/20

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    This is the first real suggestions thread in a long line of suggestion thread parodies - well done Hampur.
    I was gonna start a suggestion thread on what I should do while I'm in the city. But I already knew the answers you guys would give me. Yesterday, I ate a bag of d*cks. Today, I went and f*cked myself and tomorrow I'm gonna go the f*ck back to bumf*ck Western NY.

I think I covered everything in the Official NYC Hampur Travel Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Grab a meal at the Buckhorn Exchange. The light rail stops in front of the place just a stop or two from the Convention Center. Which is good because it is in the hood. The Buckhorn Building is original, over 100 years old, great food, meats you won't find anywhere else. Go there.
    DO THIS!!!. Great unique dining spot that you won't see anywhere else. Lots of fresh game meats all surprisingly delicious if you're a meat eater. Some may find all the taxidermy off putting but it only adds to the western charm and authenticity of the 100 plus year pld building. I remember having a trio of elk, venison, and antelope which was one of the best meals I've ever had and I've eaten in many of the best restaurants around the world. You really shouldn't miss it while in Denver.

Mammaries.

That is all.