Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I met Rex at Clemson Spring game on Saturday.

Hall Of Fame

I met Rex at Clemson Spring game on Saturday.

So I took my son, brother in law and nephew down to Clemson this past weekend to see some Clemson baseball and the Spring football game. Its a nice weekend to visit as there are a lot of activities going on and most of the sports programs have home games or matches that weekend.

So one of my old roommates is an active booster and is pretty involved in the IPTAY program, which is the booster organization for Clemson Athletics. So he took my son and myself to a pre game party for the new recruits and their families. So after being there a few minutes my son pokes me and tells me he sees Rex sitting at a table. Sure enough there is Rex. So apparently his son Seth decided to come to Clemson as a walk on this coming season.

So we go up to him and I introduce myself and tell him we are HUGE Jets fans as well as a Clemson alum. He introduced us to his son Seth and we talked about Clemson for a little and about the atmosphere and what he was going to study. I didnt really get into the Jets too much as it really wasnt the place for it, Rex was there more as a proud father than he was the head coach of the Jets. But my son did tell him he HAS to draft Deandre Hopkins (my son was also wearing a Hopkins Clemson jersey) this year...LOL. Rex laughed and said "yea, we know all about him, he is a great player, I will see what I can do for you." He said he is looking forward to the season and he expects to have a great draft. He was a really nice guy, took a picture with my son and was having a great time just being a football Dad at that point.

So, after talking to some other people close to the football program it is interesting to note that Rex has attended a few Clemson practices as well as their pro day this spring. He has been talking with Dabo Swinney (head coach) and Chad Morris (offensive coordinator) about a lot of the concepts regarding their offensive system. Clemson runs a spread, read option, uptempo offense. So whether he is looking at ways to defend it, or ways to implement it, I dont know, but there was serious interest in learning about it on Rex's part.

Anyway, thats it, just though I would share that. For as much as I have criticized Rex as a head coach, he is certainly a nice guy and LOVES to be around football.

All League
    Nice story...thanks for sharing.

Definitely want the Jets to snag a WR in the first three rounds. I am a fan of Cordarrelle Patterson, but 9 maybe too early. Hopkins sounds good to me later on though.

So many SOJF want assassinate the guy. As far as I'm concerned he's a very good HC that was retained for good reason.

And to all of the doubters, why not let the process play out? If he's as bad as you claim, then eventually the owner will realize the organization must go in a different direction. If he's a good HC, like I believe, this team will certainly start to make noise again as soon as this season or next.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So I took my son, brother in law and nephew down to Clemson this past weekend to see some Clemson baseball and the Spring football game. Its a nice weekend to visit as there are a lot of activities going on and most of the sports programs have home games or matches that weekend.

So one of my old roommates is an active booster and is pretty involved in the IPTAY program, which is the booster organization for Clemson Athletics. So he took my son and myself to a pre game party for the new recruits and their families. So after being there a few minutes my son pokes me and tells me he sees Rex sitting at a table. Sure enough there is Rex. So apparently his son Seth decided to come to Clemson as a walk on this coming season.

So we go up to him and I introduce myself and tell him we are HUGE Jets fans as well as a Clemson alum. He introduced us to his son Seth and we talked about Clemson for a little and about the atmosphere and what he was going to study. I didnt really get into the Jets too much as it really wasnt the place for it, Rex was there more as a proud father than he was the head coach of the Jets. But my son did tell him he HAS to draft Deandre Hopkins (my son was also wearing a Hopkins Clemson jersey) this year...LOL. Rex laughed and said "yea, we know all about him, he is a great player, I will see what I can do for you." He said he is looking forward to the season and he expects to have a great draft. He was a really nice guy, took a picture with my son and was having a great time just being a football Dad at that point.

So, after talking to some other people close to the football program it is interesting to note that Rex has attended a few Clemson practices as well as their pro day this spring. He has been talking with Dabo Swinney (head coach) and Chad Morris (offensive coordinator) about a lot of the concepts regarding their offensive system. Clemson runs a spread, read option, uptempo offense. So whether he is looking at ways to defend it, or ways to implement it, I dont know, but there was serious interest in learning about it on Rex's part.

Anyway, thats it, just though I would share that. For as much as I have criticized Rex as a head coach, he is certainly a nice guy and LOVES to be around football.
    That's awesome, good choice not talking jets, don't think I would've been able to help myself.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    That's awesome, good choice not talking jets, don't think I would've been able to help myself.
    It really wasnt the place to talk Jets plus, its not like Rex was going to confide in me what he really thought anyway. The conversation was more about our sons and Clemson more than anything.

It really wasnt the place to talk Jets plus, its not like Rex was going to confide in me what he really thought anyway. The conversation was more about our sons and Clemson more than anything.
    Bet he appreciated that, most idiots probably would of asked something daft like "what's happening with Revis"

can't wait to bring my son over for a jets game, he's only 17 month, stuck with two 7 year old girls who don't care about ball at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Come on.. you're being modest.

Didn't you tell him about all the posts you accumulated over the REX period?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Come on.. you're being modest.

Didn't you tell him about all the posts you accumulated over the REX period?
    LOL....if he only knew.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

So I took my son, brother in law and nephew down to Clemson this past weekend to see some Clemson baseball and the Spring football game.
    Did you notice if Rex drew a crowd

Having been many games up at Clemson, I'd be surprised if many up there even recognized him.

People in SC could give a rats as* about pro football

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Did you notice if Rex drew a crowd

Having been many games up at Clemson, I'd be surprised if many up there even recognized him.

People in SC could give a rats as* about pro football
    He didnt draw a crowd at all, he was just like any other parent that was there. He was wearing a Clemson hat and was really into it.

You are right though, the only real interest in the NFL is more about how the ex Clemson players are doing.

Great experience for you and your son. Rex is a great guy. Met him a few years back.

Good story. But not surprised, by all accounts Rex is a good guy.

I knew his son was offered a walk on position - actually a "preferred" walk on at Clemson.
    I need to now change my attitude toward Rex. Clemson guys get a little pass. Same as FSU and AL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I knew his son was offered a walk on position - actually a "preferred" walk on at Clemson.
    I need to now change my attitude toward Rex. Clemson guys get a little pass. Same as FSU and AL.
    Rex actually wanted him to go to Alabama, but Seth loved Clemson and Dabo. Not sure if Saban offered the preferred walk on status.

Great post

Amidst all the chatter on this web site and others, the undeserving hate that Rex gets from all angles, and mostly SOJF or just fans with an agenda, the guy eats, breathes, and sleeps football, he is a junkie, and the man above all else is genuine. He's not full of himself or arrogant, and to me, that is an endearing quality, especially for a head coach in the NFL, and what immediately makes me a huge Rex fan.

No coach is without flaws, but I wish other fans would see what I see in Rex, and acknowledge he HAS delivered SOME success, not to mention his football teams and players do LOVE playing for him, and play hard for him. I think Rex is a person that can learn from his flaws, and will work hard to doing anything he can to right the wrongs and get this Jets team back to championship calliber. Too many are writing Rex off and it pisses me off. The funny thing is, Rex probably feels the same way, so if anything, I look forward to his comments and his response to the naysayers, I just wish some fans would see his qualities before wanting to send him out on the plank.

I can't say the same for the media, they are just braindead and clueless as usual.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 04-15-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thank you for sharing that story. It was an interesting read. I compliment you on allowing Rex to be a proud dad.

Rex actually wanted him to go to Alabama, but Seth loved Clemson and Dabo. Not sure if Saban offered the preferred walk on status.

As we both know, Clemson is an infinitely better school. Plus nicer environment.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    As we both know, Clemson is an infinitely better school. Plus nicer environment.
    True. I know I am biased, but the Clemson campus setting is one of the best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty cool story