Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Barkevious? I hope we draft him just because of his name.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Based on his highlight reel he appears to be quicker and with a better motor but he did remind me a bit of the Ghost in that he was getting pushed around a bit out there.
    That will happen when your lined up in a restrictive box against guys with 80+ lbs on you. Mingo for the most part was misused. And even then he still was able to get more pressures than any other pass rusher in the SEC.

But him as a 3-4 OLB, and we could very well have a dominant pass rusher on our hands.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Got to love this time of the year.

When people cling to every idiots write up of who the Jets "might" be interested in at their draft position.

And then take any written word as if it means anything more than the pure guess it actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Got to love this time of the year.

When people cling to every idiots write up of who the Jets "might" be interested in at their draft position.

And then take any written word as if it means anything more than the pure guess it actually is.
    someone else wrote this, but last year nearly every freakin mock had the jets getting ingram b/c rex was in love with him. after taking coples last year (which i still believe was the smart pick), i take rex loving mingo with a grain of you know, nacl. plus, idzik is here, not tanny, so even if it were true there's less of a chance that pick is made if idzik believes there is a better pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    someone else wrote this, but last year nearly every freakin mock had the jets getting ingram b/c rex was in love with him. after taking coples last year (which i still believe was the smart pick), i take rex loving mingo with a grain of you know, nacl. plus, idzik is here, not tanny, so even if it were true there's less of a chance that pick is made if idzik believes there is a better pick.
    Exactly.

If a team is interested in a player, why would any FO let it be known that they want that player? So others can draft him or move ahead to draft him. It's stupid. Even if its true that Rex is smitten with him, what the hell does that mean? He likes him, good where. Doesn't mean he likes him at 9. Or even enough to draft at the spot he will go.

But you would think that anyone who has watched a draft or two would get this by now.

All Pro
    Not an Idzik pick.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Luckily, for us, Rex is now a eunuch. Idzik is running the show.

So I hope.
    Rex wanted Wilkerson and Coples and has a good eye for DL and OLB. If Rex wants Mingo, chances are that Mingo will be good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    This. Tony said numerous times that he knew for a fact that if Ingram was available the Jets would take him, not to mention he also knew that Ingram was going to go in the top 12. This is not meant as a knock on Tony at all, it just shows how much misinformation is really out there.

I am smitten with Mingo as well

I probably watched atleast 15 games he's played in and he is a force....Like the article said, the sack numbers last season don't tell the whole story

To call him the next Gholston is ridiculous....He plays with 1000x more enthusiasm and instincts for the game. He is also a lot stronger and more "slippery" than a Maybin for instance

Watch this highlight video and you'll see a bunch of near sacks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260jraqaArs

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    This. Tony said numerous times that he knew for a fact that if Ingram was available the Jets would take him, not to mention he also knew that Ingram was going to go in the top 12. This is not meant as a knock on Tony at all, it just shows how much misinformation is really out there.
    Yep. He said no way that Ingram would be there at #16. He also mocked Cordy Glenn to the Jets in the first round. Glenn wasn't even a first rounder . . .

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

I probably watched atleast 15 games he's played in and he is a force....Like the article said, the sack numbers last season don't tell the whole story

To call him the next Gholston is ridiculous....He plays with 1000x more enthusiasm and instincts for the game. He is also a lot stronger and more "slippery" than a Maybin for instance

Yes, he has a lot of talent. The QB pressure statistic is important. People always overlook that. He has no trouble getting to the QB. He does seem to have an issue finishing, though.

Also agree that he's much stronger and more slippery than Maybin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    The story I heard is that all of that was true but the Jets didn't even have Coples on the radar because they thought that he would be long gone by the time they picked.....

Rex could have loved Ingram, but couldn't pass up Coples

smoke.
    screen.
    Mingo at #9 will make me vomit in my mouth.

In the very very little I've seen of him, he looks and plays as though it's Maybin in an LSU jersey. However I haven't watched really anything on him so ill trust the coaches on their take.

The story I heard is that all of that was true but the Jets didn't even have Coples on the radar because they thought that he would be long gone by the time they picked.....

Rex could have loved Ingram, but couldn't pass up Coples
    Rex also worked both of them out, and took Coples over Ingram. Rex knows how to pick front seven players.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Not an Idzik pick.
    We don't even know what an "Idzik pick" is.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We don't even know what an "Idzik pick" is.
    I do, I already checked.

Mingo's gonna sliiiiiide

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I do, I already checked.

Mingo's gonna sliiiiiide
    Doesn't always mean everything.....Coples also slid and that seems to have turned out pretty well for us

The knocks I've seen on mingo is that he's a nonfactor when he's double teamed. That will happen much less as an olb. And besides I'm pretty sure with Wilkerson and coples out there they won't be doubling mingo.

we need to beef up our O line and offense in general.... our defense is fairly solid

This move would be another classic jets mistake

yea, id like to see some qb's run in fear as well, but our Offense was just dismal and isnt getting any better any time soon