Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 121

Thread: Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets have gone defense in the first round 4 of the past 5 years (Gholston, Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples), that's a lot of resources into one side of the ball.

    Jets should take Warmack, I think he'll be there at #9 and has to be the pick.
    You know people will blast them if they take a guard that high.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    1. Luke Joeckel
    2. Eric Fisher
    3. Lane Johnson
    4. Geno Smith
    5. Tavon Austin
    6. Chance Warmack

    I'll wouldn't mind taking with #9
    I don't think Idzik would go QB with his first pick.

    Tavon Austin is a late first rounder

    I think 3 if not all 4 of the O-linemen will be gone by the time we pick.

    Now if they get the 1st rounder from Tampa Bay, they can use one of those picks on offense

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets have gone defense in the first round 4 of the past 5 years (Gholston, Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples), that's a lot of resources into one side of the ball.

    Jets should take Warmack, I think he'll be there at #9 and has to be the pick.
    If BPA is the guard then so be it. You don't purposely not draft a defensive player just bc that's what the last 3 picks were. We lost 7 starters on defense and pass rushing 3-4 OLB's don't exactly grow on trees. When was the last time Houston drafted offense in the first? Andre Johnson?

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    I know we all like this cliche, but where exactly is the proof? I mean, sure he's a great DC, but when was he DOMINANT without players like Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, Reed, etc? And don't tell me he was the reason they played so well, because they continued to dominate after he left.
    Is #1 in the league dominant enough? Because that's what the defense was in Rex's first season here. And other than Revis, who else on that defense was the type of elite player you're referring to?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets have gone defense in the first round 4 of the past 5 years (Gholston, Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples), that's a lot of resources into one side of the ball.

    Jets should take Warmack, I think he'll be there at #9 and has to be the pick.
    So what? The Giants have drafted almost all defense with their first picks since they drafted Eli Manning. Webster, Kiwanuka, Ross, Phillips, JPP, Amukamara.

    You don't draft offense for the sake of drafting offense. You draft the best players.

    Warmack is good. I like him. But he has plenty of warts. He's not all that athletic and can be beaten in pass protection. And he's apparently not very bright.

  6. #66
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You know people will blast them if they take a guard that high.
    Eh, from some of the fans yes, but I don't think draft analysts and other media people will. Warmack is a top-5 player in this draft and he'll start from day 1, a solid, very low-risk pick for a rookie GM. He's our guy.

  7. #67
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Luckily, for us, Rex is now a eunuch. Idzik is running the show.

    So I hope.
    We can only hope ... if Rex's drafting of full back's is anything to go by, he needs to take a back seat during the draft. If he needs to contribute give him a seven round pick to get excited about.

  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,349
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    If BPA is the guard then so be it. You don't purposely not draft a defensive player just bc that's what the last 3 picks were. We lost 7 starters on defense and pass rushing 3-4 OLB's don't exactly grow on trees. When was the last time Houston drafted offense in the first? Andre Johnson?
    Different situation with Houston. We were 30th in offense last year, 8th in defense and that's pretty much been the trend for four consecutive years now. Since all the 3-4 OLB's have question marks, I think we need to go with best offensive player with that first pick.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    You know people will blast them if they take a guard that high.
    People are gonna blast the pick regardless.


    Take Warmack or Cooper: "Oh my God! You don't draft a guard that high!"

    Take Geno Smith: "Oh my God! He wouldn't even be a 1st rounder in most drafts!"

    Take Tavon Austin: "Oh my God! You don't take a 5'8 receiver that high!"

    Take Jarvis Jones: "Oh my God! He ran a slow forty and has back problems!"

    Take Tyler Eifert: "Oh my God! What a reach!"

    Take Star Lotulelei: "Oh my God! As if we didn't already have enough defensive linemen!"


    The list goes on
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-15-2013 at 11:18 PM.

  10. #70
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,231
    In truth, to say we have to target a specific player ten days before the draft is unrealistic. Whom amongst us knows how the first eight picks are going to play out ? In a perfect world there is an elite offensive player at 9. However there are so few top ten offensive players in this draft the Jets may be faced with the BAP being a defensive player and if that is the situation, the brain trust should go defense.

    With the QB situation that we have, any thoughts of drafting an elite WR at nine may not be the best avenue to improve this roster.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    People are gonna blast the pick regardless.


    Take Warmack or Cooper: "Oh my God! You don't draft a guard that high!"

    Take Geno Smith: "Oh my God! He wouldn't even be a 1st rounder in most drafts!"

    Take Tavon Austin: "Oh my God! You don't take a 5'8 receiver that high!"

    Take Jarvis Jones: "Oh my God! He ran a slow forty and has back problems!"

    Take Tyler Eifert: "Oh my God! What a reach!"

    Take Star Lotulelei: "Oh my God! As if we didn't already have enough defensive linemen!"


    The list goes on
    That's why it would be dumb to draft any of those players at 9, except Star, and maybe Jones, but only if the other three OLBs are gone. Just as Mingo was limited stat wise in his system, Jones was freed up to rush the passer one on one every snap. He's still a safe pick, but not the upside of the others. None of those other players will be remotely the BPA at 9. We're talking impact, not just at their position. The best player available will be either a LT, a DT, or an OLB. Guaranteed, because those are the only positions that have any players worthy of a top ten pick this year. We don't need a LT, and the two DTs I would think will be gone. Besides we have no starting OLBers, but do have potential at NT. I'd still be tempted to take Star, or Floyd if they drop. They will be dominate. BTW what if the BPA is a FB. Should we take him? We don't have a good one. What do you think? Long snapper? We have the league's best personal punt protector, and we are just going to release him. How does that make you feel?
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 04-15-2013 at 11:35 PM.

  12. #72
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    In truth, to say we have to target a specific player ten days before the draft is unrealistic. Whom amongst us knows how the first eight picks are going to play out ? In a perfect world there is an elite offensive player at 9. However there are so few top ten offensive players in this draft the Jets may be faced with the BAP being a defensive player and if that is the situation, the brain trust should go defense.

    With the QB situation that we have, any thoughts of drafting an elite WR at nine may not be the best avenue to improve this roster.

    The only top 15 offensive players in this draft are LTs.

  13. #73
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Different situation with Houston. We were 30th in offense last year, 8th in defense and that's pretty much been the trend for four consecutive years now. Since all the 3-4 OLB's have question marks, I think we need to go with best offensive player with that first pick.
    If this is your strategy then you would have to take whatever offer you could get to trade down, unless you were going to draft a LT, and trade Brick. This draft is very deep in 2nd round type talent. Probably from around 15 down to 80 has little drop off. There are two elite level guards, but guards are, I think, the biggest risk. No one seems to want to look it up, but almost all the best guards are 3rd round, or later picks. Much better off scouting later round tackles to find ones that you think can be converted. Strong quick tackles that may lack lateral movement. It's only logical, that the best college linemen would be playing tackle, not guard.

  14. #74
    I hope this report is correct. I always thought taking an OLB or OL in the 1st round would be a good idea. IMO, if the draft is run correctly, the defense could come away being better than they were last season. The offense is always going to be a work in progress.

    With that said, if a guy like Chance Warmack is there I think you must take him.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    All Rex knows how to do is draft DE's. This comes as no surprise.

    Lemme guess... round 2 we draft a guard from the University of Port au Prince
    No way it's a Guard from the U of Port A Prince. This year it's an Estonian shot putter and Rex is going to coach him up to switch from End to Linebacker.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    That will happen when your lined up in a restrictive box against guys with 80+ lbs on you. Mingo for the most part was misused. And even then he still was able to get more pressures than any other pass rusher in the SEC.

    But him as a 3-4 OLB, and we could very well have a dominant pass rusher on our hands.
    There are worse things in life than drafting Mingo at 9. One of the top OLB's will certainly be there when we pick -Jordan, Jones, Mingo, Ansah they can't all be drafted before 9 not with the wide needs of the teams picking before us. Coples and Wilks infront of Barnes and Mingo looks plenty healthy to me. Jets can get decent OL help in the second round onwards, rb's are plentiful. If Revis nets the Jets a 1,3, and a 4 or even more things could look really good. Come on Tampa play along with Idzik's pied piper tune

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Eh, from some of the fans yes, but I don't think draft analysts and other media people will. Warmack is a top-5 player in this draft and he'll start from day 1, a solid, very low-risk pick for a rookie GM. He's our guy.
    I'm all for taking the BAP, so if the guy at #9 is Chance Warmack, then I'm all for it. However, if by some chance Mingo and is actually there then I think there's a huge amount of consideration for Idzik. Quite possibly, Mingo could be the guy.

    I don't look at things like the Jets have taken defense in the 1st round for the last 4 years. Players move, get cut, traded, etc. Sh*t happens.

    BAP should supersede EVERYTHING including recent trends.

    With that said, Mingo or Warmack would be great picks at #9.

  18. #78
    Just remember with a Revis trade the secondary becomes weaker, therefore strengthening the defensive foundation (defensive line) becomes more critical at this point. Thus by doing so you reduce the pressure on the secondary and allow for less need for the higher talent level in this area.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    So what? The Giants have drafted almost all defense with their first picks since they drafted Eli Manning. Webster, Kiwanuka, Ross, Phillips, JPP, Amukamara.

    You don't draft offense for the sake of drafting offense. You draft the best players.

    Warmack is good. I like him. But he has plenty of warts. He's not all that athletic and can be beaten in pass protection. And he's apparently not very bright.
    Good point.. Atleast d picks have been very good outside of kyle wilson.. Who is slowly improving..look how many draft picks MT has cost jets trading up for offensive players.. Sanchez, Greene, hill.. Am I missing any?

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I don't think Idzik would go QB with his first pick.

    Tavon Austin is a late first rounder

    I think 3 if not all 4 of the O-linemen will be gone by the time we pick.

    Now if they get the 1st rounder from Tampa Bay, they can use one of those picks on offense
    i think #9 is most certainly defense, whether it's mingo, ansah or even jordan. pick 13, assuming they get it, could go either way and i imagine they'd love to trade back. if they can't, despite what tony says i think wr is in play.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us