Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Peter King says that Rex is "smitten" with Mingo

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Dear Peter

You may not have noticed, what with your head firmly implanted in your boyfriend Belishyte's sphincter but during the offseason the Jets hired a new GM and Rex will no longer be making the final decisions in the Jets draft war room.

Hope this helps you avoid continuing to make an imbecile of yourself as far as NFL reporting is concerned
    The last person in the world that Rex would share his innermost thoughts with is Peter King.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be happy with Mingo at #9.

I don't really understand the love-fest around Dion Jordan. Dude was less productive than Mingo in college, had very few passes defended despite scouts saying his "coverage skills" are a positive, and his combine numbers weren't much better than Mingo's.

Mingo looks like a monster - plays like a monster, and had to deal with Les Miles as his coach. Plus his name alone says "I'm going to be a terror to QBs in this league."

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post

I don't really understand the love-fest around Dion Jordan. Dude was less productive than Mingo in college, had very few passes defended despite scouts saying his "coverage skills" are a positive, and his combine numbers weren't much better than Mingo's.

Mingo looks like a monster - plays like a monster, and had to deal with Les Miles as his coach. Plus his name alone says "I'm going to be a terror to QBs in this league."
    So his Barkevious will be worse then his bite??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post

i think the #9 pick will come down to either ziggy or mingo, i think 1 will be there. doubt milliner is there, but if he is and they trade revis he'll be in the mix. doubt they go dline at 9.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    So his Barkevious will be worse then his bite??
    No, his biteaveous is worse than his barkevious.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think the #9 pick will come down to either ziggy or mingo, i think 1 will be there. doubt milliner is there, but if he is and they trade revis he'll be in the mix. doubt they go dline at 9.
    I like Millner but I am a little leary of taking a corner to "replace" revis. The kid is doomed to fail by comparison. If Millner was a no-brainer stud at corner I would have no problem taking him but I don't think he is a great CB prospect and every time he gets burnt he will have to deal with the "player that replaced Revis" nonsense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I like Millner but I am a little leary of taking a corner to "replace" revis. The kid is doomed to fail by comparison. If Millner was a no-brainer stud at corner I would have no problem taking him but I don't think he is a great CB prospect and every time he gets burnt he will have to deal with the "player that replaced Revis" nonsense.
    all i'm saying is that if he's there at 9 and the jets traded mingo, he'd be a consideration based simply on BPA. odds are he doesn't get to 9 though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    What about mingo reminds you of gholston? Or were you one of the people on here calling coples the next gholston too?

The fact that every writeup talks about Mingo's athleticism but lack of production at the college level. That doesn't sound familiar to you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    The fact that every writeup talks about Mingo's athleticism but lack of production at the college level. That doesn't sound familiar to you?
    I think Gholston was less experienced than Mingo. Plus, playing defense in the Big 10 is MUCH different than playing defense in the SEC.

My one worry about him would be making the transition to OLB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston broke the Ohio St. sack record.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I think Gholston was less experienced than Mingo. Plus, playing defense in the Big 10 is MUCH different than playing defense in the SEC.

My one worry about him would be making the transition to OLB.

Another thing, and obviously this is totally unscientific, but watch Mingo's highlights. One thing I recall watching Gholston on tape was that he showed no emotion. He made a play and walked back to the huddle while his teammates were going crazy. We all saw that translate to the NFL where the guy just looked out of it. I see the same thing in Mingo's videos. He's not jumping up and down after plays. Again, obviously not scientific, but it concerns me when players - especially on defense - don't play with emotion.

Not saying I would completely rule out Mingo - I have been the guy screaming for outside pass rushers since we traded Abraham 8 years ago, and we haven't really drafted anyone since then - I'm just saying he concerns me a little.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Gholston broke the Ohio St. sack record.
    Thank you for educating Toooon. Gholston had excellent production and measurables.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing, and obviously this is totally unscientific, but watch Mingo's highlights. One thing I recall watching Gholston on tape was that he showed no emotion. He made a play and walked back to the huddle while his teammates were going crazy. We all saw that translate to the NFL where the guy just looked out of it. I see the same thing in Mingo's videos. He's not jumping up and down after plays. Again, obviously not scientific, but it concerns me when players - especially on defense - don't play with emotion.

Not saying I would completely rule out Mingo - I have been the guy screaming for outside pass rushers since we traded Abraham 8 years ago, and we haven't really drafted anyone since then - I'm just saying he concerns me a little.
    Dude, really?

I guess you must have been really "concerned" about Eli Manning. And maybe even Coples?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston was very productive in college.

All the more reason why college production means nothing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I keep seeing some Jet Mocks that have Tavon Austin at 9 and Chance Warmack at 13 from the Buc's pick..
    Those would be good picks and really help the QB we're going to draft next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Dude, really?

I guess you must have been really "concerned" about Eli Manning. And maybe even Coples?
    Anyone who's not concerned on some level with Mingo needs a catscan

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Anyone who's not concerned on some level with Mingo needs a catscan
    That wasn't the point. The point was that having concerns because he doesn't "react" a certain way to big plays is stupid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that it matters all that much, but this post is just flat out WRONG

I'll re-post this video.....please watch specifically at: :41, 2:03, 2:15, 2:23, 2:31, 3:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260jraqaArs

Now tell me Mingo shows no emotion after big plays......
    Last edited by King Koopa; 04-17-2013 at 02:00 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Dude, really?

Yes, really. I'll just ignore Manning, since he is a QB and I'm talking about defensive players mostly. But Coples? Hell yeah I was concerned, and still am. He showed some flashes as a rookie, but that's what he did in college, too. The knock was that he took plays off. I hardly think he proved everyone wrong in one season. Let's give it some time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Not that it matters all that much, but this post is just flat out WRONG

I'll re-post this video.....please watch specifically at: :41, 2:03, 2:15, 2:23, 2:31, 3:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260jraqaArs

Now tell me Mingo shows no emotion after big plays......

Hmm, I don't really feel differently after watching that. Here is the video I had seen:
    http://www.packers.com/media-center/...8-72f975712b02

Again, not to blow this out of proportion, it is just an observation that reminded me of Gholston. Not saying Mingo will be a bust.